Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Life vests  (Read 8429 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Life vests
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 08:00:28 AM »

alwaysfishn> Do you work for the legal or advertising dept. or MicroSoft?

Thanks for stating the obvious. Goes without saying products sold in Canada are gov't approved, buyers be aware of how they work and their suitability to your needs and that safety devices are mainly beneficial. Notice that last stmt applies to a myriad of products from cars to sewing machines. Pretty common sense to me but then the only thing absolute about common sense is that it is NOT common so perhaps stating it is beneficial to some, can't hurt  ;)

Smart money wants to know as you float down that river realizing deployment of that life vest is required is the belt as effective as the collar. Anyone with real life experience, perhaps seen a demos.

Without a doubt my mustang survival jacket would be the best for flotation and impact if ever I fall in; too bad I can't fish in it.

I own that belt PFD so I better have confidence that it will save my life if I'm floating down the river........  upside down.  :D  My confidence is based on the reputation of the manufacturer, not on the fact I have experience with it.

You stated that your survival jacket is the best, yet you don't use it.......    ???      That certainly can't be better than what I'm using......   ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 08:15:31 AM »

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=228&mc=25

This ones been around for years. Only draw back is it's warm to wear on hot day's.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

burnaby

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 10:23:36 AM »

Debating between the vest, collar or the belt in terms of mobility, weight vs. safety. Hopefully an expert or one with experience will chime in.
http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=228&mc=25

This ones been around for years. Only draw back is it's warm to wear on hot day's.

I don't use the Survival jackets cause it is great for boat fishing but too mobility limited for the river.
I own that belt PFD so I better have confidence that it will save my life if I'm floating down the river........  upside down.  :D  My confidence is based on the reputation of the manufacturer, not on the fact I have experience with it.

You stated that your survival jacket is the best, yet you don't use it.......    ???      That certainly can't be better than what I'm using......   ;D

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 11:24:29 AM »

-- as with many products it depends on the person.
--I would try these devices in a controlled situation... ie still water with a trusty buddy for rescue... if you can't get the gear on such as the belt pack in still water you won't be able to get it on in fast water.

--also see how it floats when wearing your usuall fishing gear... I doubt you could get the belt type on without dropping your rod which some find hard to do.

--I like and use mustang collar type and have tested it with gear on... when crossing a river I inflate it with the manual blow up then deflate when I get to other side..

--One thing I do not like is the price.. it is unreasonably high.
--For survival suites  I use Fladen rescue system gear... this is not DOT approved.
--The reason it is not approve is because of the cost of certification in Canada.. about 100K 
--This gear us used throughout Europe and is classified ISO 15027-1 as an immersion suite and EN 393 as a flotation suit.
--these designations give the amount of flotation and immersion protection ratings for each type or suite

--Of course if using these in a boat I need a Canada approved jacket which I have on board to meet the Canada safety requirements.

maverick

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 12:39:12 PM »

I always felt that with a set of cleats and a wading staff with a belt on your waders and some common sense while wading and your usually pretty safe.

burnaby

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 12:51:05 PM »

I scuba dive so not too worry about be submerged in controlled situation. It's the one moment playing the big one, next you're in a water slides that worries me.

Leaning toward the collar, more comfortable with PFD/vest style. Up high within easy reach.

+1 on hard to drop the rod/reel, hard to let go of that much cash.
-- as with many products it depends on the person.
--I would try these devices in a controlled situation... ie still water with a trusty buddy for rescue... if you can't get the gear on such as the belt pack in still water you won't be able to get it on in fast water.

--also see how it floats when wearing your usuall fishing gear... I doubt you could get the belt type on without dropping your rod which some find hard to do.

--I like and use mustang collar type and have tested it with gear on... when crossing a river I inflate it with the manual blow up then deflate when I get to other side..
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:54:54 PM by burnaby »

Brian

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 06:51:03 PM »

" It requires you to jerk-to-inflate, and then pull it over your head."

Any demos of it being used in fast water. How easy is it to find the pull rope while you're possibly freaking out being ripped around the current.

I've actually seen someone holding their buddy's waist as he flopped around feet first down the Chehalis. Not a pretty sight.

lol

I use it because that's what's used most of the time in the fancy Salmon and Steelhead magazines.  I've tried pulling it over my head, it's not that hard to do.  And it's worn on the front of the body, not around back.

Yes, my rod & reel will be lost.  But hopefully tossed to a friend lol.

If you're worried about rapid deployment, definately get a collar one.  It's already in place.  And a self-inflating one for those times you hit your head on the rocks....

For me, I'm not planning on going swimming.  But if I do end up in the water, my pfd is better than not having anything at all.

Deploy, then hug to stay afloat, then pull overhead when I can.  That's the plan.  And if I don't survive, at least the body will be easier to recover  :o

When I'm on a boat, I use a regular vest type PFD :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:53:42 PM by Brian »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 10:00:18 PM »

And if I don't survive, at least the body will be easier to recover  :o

Never thought of my PDF as a good salvage tool........   ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »

Point is what style is better, belt, collar or     for those dangerous situation like fast current where a life vest is really needed.

Might as well add bad to float down river without a paddle. If you can't reach it to deploy it that costly fanny back won't do you much good.

If it's too dangerous don't go.
Sometimes you have to (or should)  bypass a piece of water.  A nasty snag at the end of a run isn't the place to test a PFD.
  I use a collar.

burnaby

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 08:48:41 PM »

Great advice, too bad nobody heeds it including the preacher. Be honest, nobody practice what they preach  ;). How can one resist that perfect spot for the perfect fish, yup, have a contingency. BTW: Anyone with deals on collar, or do I have to RFD?

If it's too dangerous don't go.
Sometimes you have to (or should)  bypass a piece of water.  A nasty snag at the end of a run isn't the place to test a PFD.
  I use a collar.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 10:48:09 AM »

--sometimes it's not you that chooses...
--someone upstream fall in or is in trouble... better to not have two people in the river with no safety gear.
--first choice of course would be to throw life line... something required in a boat but not often thought of as essential gear on the river.

-hypothermia ... yes you shouldn't be out there damp and cold but it happens and judgement is clouded or the stream crossing that was easy is now more difficult.

--bear sitting in the best crossing spot on the river so have to use alternate route

--water level change over course of the day or crossing in darkness.

-- not preaching here as fortunately have survived some of my own poor judgement close calls. 

--most difficult decision though is when someone else gets it trouble, for myself I don't want to be the guy that falls in without proper gear thus forces others to risk their safety.