Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Salmon Burgers  (Read 5195 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Sockeye Salmon Burgers
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:30:07 PM »

This is a quick easy recipe that has minimal prep and cooking time. There are a lot of options you can add to the recipe. Be creative.

Ingredients:
1 sockeye fillet (flossed or store bought)  ;D
1/4 large onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons mayo
Fresh lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

2 slices of bacon (optional)
1/2 cup Feta cheese (optional)
2 Tablespoons fresh dill (optional)
2 tablespoons fresh finely diced ginger (optional)
2 tablespoons finely diced sundried tomatoes (optional)
1 egg (optional, to keep the burger together better)

Finely chop the onions and garlic and lightly saute them in a small frying pan. If you are adding bacon and ginger, they can be sauted with the onions and garlic. It's neccessary to pre-cook these as they would not cook if you added them raw to the burger.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Remove skin and pin bones from the sockeye fillet. Dice the salmon into approximately 1/2 inch cubes (can be done smaller or larger). Combine the sauteed ingredients with the salmon and add the Mayo. Add some fresh dill, sundried tomatoes and/or feta cheese if desired. Salt and pepper to taste. You can add an egg at this time as it helps hold the burger together if you plan on turning it on the grill. I don't use the egg as I do not turn the burger while cooking it. Mix well.

Make the burger patties and place them on a sheet of tin foil. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice on each burger. Use a flat pan under the tin foil so you can carry it to and from the barbecue. Place the sheet of burgers on the barbecue which is pre-heated to 400-450 degrees. Close the lid. An average sized burger will take 8-10 minutes to cook. Do not open and close the barbecue lid for at least 7-8 minutes.You can tell when the burger is done as the juices flowing out of the burger will start to turn white. Do not overcook!

Take the sheet of burgers off the grill. When taking them off the tin foil flip them over so the browned bottom of the burger is facing up on the bun.  You can garnish the burger with whatever you want.

Enjoy!

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

krazy

• flyguys.net
Re: Sockeye Salmon Burgers
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »

"1 sockeye fillet (flossed or store bought)" - phew ... thank goodness cause I don't have any purchased ones!  ;)

This sounds excellent! Thanks for sharing!
flyguys.net ... check us out for made in BC fishing adventures & information!

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 03:53:32 PM »

1 sockeye fillet (flossed or store bought)

Can I use a sockeye I bought directly off the boats??  ;D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 05:48:58 PM »

Certainly!  I've used springs and coho as well.....    ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Blackrt03

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 08:48:21 PM »

sounds yummy will try it out thanks

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 12:19:37 AM »

I like to use a spoon to scrape out the left over salmon on the bones after filleting to use for brugers.  Cuts down on waste.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 06:01:13 PM by Eagleye »