Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brine Receipe - Please share your favorite  (Read 6343 times)

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
Brine Receipe - Please share your favorite
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »

Hi guys/gals,

Very soon I will be attempting to smoke my first salmon in a Bradley smoker. The concern I have is messing up the fish to the point where its not edible and wasting a couple of fish. I realize that every one's taste buds are slightly different and the we can play with the recipe to suit our palates. If you have any warnings, like, "don't do this or that, or don't forget too...pls share.

I was hoping that some of you local guys have a good recipe for brine that I can try. I know there are 1001 recipes on the web, but I'd prefer to chat with you guys so if I have any questions I can throw them out and also share my experiences in return.

Another question, wet vs dry rub? advantages/disadvantages.

I saw this recipe on another posting, It looks good.

Thanks guys

http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Departments/Recipes/Canning/fishjerkybrine.html
The only easy day was yesterday

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Brine Receipe - Please share your favorite
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »

I use a dry brine recipe that I have been using for more than 15 years. What I like about it is it's simple, inexpensive, quick and has always tasted great!

I always freeze my salmon for 3 to 4 days before smoking. Before freezing I cut the fillets into about 1.5 inch strips. (This give a lot of surface area for flavor to be added) After defrosting them slowly in the fridge, layer them in a glass or plastic pan skin side down. (do not use a metal pan!) Sprinkle course kosher salt and brown or demera sugar on each fillet strip. (About 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick) Use salt and sugar on a ratio of 2/3 salt and 1/3 sugar. Put another layer of salmon on top and coat with salt and sugar. Keep layering until pan is full or you run out of salmon.

Put the pan in the refrigerator or a cool place and leave it sit for 3 to 4 hours. If you are smoking spring salmon you may want to leave it for up to 5 hours because of the thickness. You'll be amazed at how much liquid is drawn out of the salmon in such a short period of time.

Rinse each piece of salmon under running water and pat dry. I layer them on the counter using paper towel between the layers. Place the dried fillets, skin side down on the lightly oiled smoker grate. Then I sprinkle them with fresh ground pepper and dried chili flakes. You could use all sorts of coatings at this stage including maple syrup or a honey/water mixture, etc. My family prefers the basic salty, sweet, savory taste with a bit of heat from the chili flakes.

The next step is very important! The fillets must be dried to the stage of being sticky dry to touch and having a shiny look to them. You can use a fan or put the grates into the fridge over night. (I use an old fridge to do this) This dry sticky coating is called pellicle and is necessary for the smoke to adhere to and in order to seal in the fats that will otherwise seep to the surface of the fish while in the smoker.

I have a bradley and I smoke with 7-8 pucks (about 2-3 hours) at 100 degrees. Then I slowly bring the temperature up to 150 degrees over the space of 3- 5 hours. I like the salmon to be flakey and moist, not too dried out. What we don't eat right away I vacuum pack and freeze.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 06:36:17 PM »

Thanks Alwaysfishn,

I like the details. I see alot of receipes that miss the drying/pellicle portion of the instructions and it makes sense interms of smoke adherence. Why kosher?, is that so it doesn't get too salty? I know not to use metal, but does metal give it a metalic taste? When you rince is it just to get the dry rub off , or do you rinse further/longer? Have you ever tried brine or always dry? what did you find as the difference if you did. Also the timing, was that for all 4 racks?

Thanks for taking the time to write

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 07:08:41 PM »

I use Kosher because it doesn't have any additives in it.

I've read that salt reacts with metal and can add some flavors to the fish.

I rinse so that the fish doesn't have a strong salty taste that hits you as soon as you put it on your tongue.

I tried a wet brine once and it just didn't work for me. I met a guy at the Tradex years ago who was selling a pre-mixed dry brine and I was very happy with the results. When he stopped making the mix I came up with my own version.  The timing is for all 4 racks.  I've always done a smoker full so perhaps the timing might be shorter with less racks.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 07:58:23 PM »

I use Kosher because it doesn't have any additives in it.

I've read that salt reacts with metal and can add some flavors to the fish.

I rinse so that the fish doesn't have a strong salty taste that hits you as soon as you put it on your tongue.

I tried a wet brine once and it just didn't work for me. I met a guy at the Tradex years ago who was selling a pre-mixed dry brine and I was very happy with the results. When he stopped making the mix I came up with my own version.  The timing is for all 4 racks.  I've always done a smoker full so perhaps the timing might be shorter with less racks.

This is so simple--Just  lay a layer of fish in the container of your choice--sprinkle a small amount of coarse salt and lots of brown sugar on the fillets--then add another layer and repeat the process till all your pieces are covered--the secret is to keep the fish cold so cover and place in the fridge overnite--Take the fillets out and rinse well under cold water and let dry for at least one hour--Apply want you want for a glaze such as maple syrup, soya sause or what you wish and put into smoker depending on the weather conditions 10 to 14 hours or to your own taste--That`s it --so simple and it works.

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 10:04:40 PM »

thx guys

doja

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »

here is my family brine. It's a wine cure, My family makes wine at home so it is cheap.

1/4 cup coarse salt
1 cup soya sauce
1 cup water
3 cups dry white wine
garlic powder
onion powder
1/2 cup brown sugar or Demetra
Tabasco sauce

Brine for 24hrs then rinse and dry and then smoke.

This is the best I've ever had so far!!!

I'd suggest you try different kinds of brine (dry, wet, different mixtures) as everyone has different tastes. I don't like the drys so much but have friends that do more so than the wet. You can also experiment too. I have and it always turns out well.

I also find that smaller chunks turn out much better than the bigger chunks or slabs and finish quicker and more evenly as they are all the same size. I like to cut long thins slices of about a 1 inch square and hang with tooth pics. No sticky's and then turn out the best ever!!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:19:01 PM by doja »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 10:45:12 PM »

Although I used Alwaysfish's dry brine recipe for last year for pinks and was very pleased with the results http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=21752.0
my favourite recipe than I have used for many years on coho (and will use this weekend on socks) is this same one.
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=21517.0]

Although I tend to rinse off the strips and let them dry before smoking. Don't rinse so vigourously so as to wash off the cracked pepper as it gives the final product a little kick.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:58:00 PM by clarki »