Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing the Brunette River  (Read 14035 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Fishing the Brunette River
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »

Anyone here fished the Brunette River lately for rainbows and cutthroats?

ChromeBar

Re: Fishing the Brunette River
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:10:51 AM »

Check the reg's.... I live on it... I havnt popped down there in quite awhile i must say tho the fish that are in there are in trouble and there are not too many at all... there also very small.

purplehelmet

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:30:54 AM »

Years ago I recall the river being somewhat rehabilitated, or efforts to that effect, then some a-hole emptied his swimming pool in a storm sewer or some idiot did a radiator flush riverside--it's hard to keep urban rivers healthy, unfortunately :'( 
It's NOT good for the smoker!

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:53:43 AM »

Here's some info about the river, its location and restrictions.

http://www.nwpr.bc.ca/parks%20web%20page/brunette%20hike.html

I heard that the majority of the rainbows are wild and they strike really hard on dry flies. It'll be interesting to know if it's still true right now.  The last person I heard who fished the Brunette only caught a crayfish.

http://domesticallydisabled-cantbe.blogspot.com/2010/08/fishing-in-hume-park.html
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:57:28 AM by Long_Cast »

Steelhead Fever

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 12:17:09 PM »

The brunette river is a great place to fish it is only 20ft wide in most spots.
You can fish from cariboo rd all the way down to the railway bridge below hume park.
*no fishing above cariboo rd.
No fishing for salmon, Release all steelhead, all fish under 30cm must be released, trout with adopise fin must be released.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:48:10 PM by Steelhead Fever »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »

If there are any hotspots where big trout abound in the LML, then its almost certain that there locations haven't been posted up on the internet for everyone to read...

bcguy

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:31:48 PM »

Brunette, home of the 3 clawed crayfish, but dont wory, no pollution in that flow, really it's just so sad :'(
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

work2fish

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:33:21 PM »

Brunette, home of the 3 clawed crayfish, but dont wory, no pollution in that flow, really it's just so sad :'(
Do you get more fish using the 3 clawed crayfish for bait?

Kidding aside it is pretty sad the amount of garbage you see out there these days.

jon5hill

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 08:24:58 AM »

There are numerous streamkeeper organizations working very hard on streams that drain into the Brunette system. The Brunette is also home to the Nooksack dace (Rhinichthys cataractae), an endangered cyprinid minnow belonging to the chehalis fauna. The Brunette is one of three systems in BC that support these cool little fish. I had the opportunity to do some mark and recapture work this summer with them out in Langley.

Elmer Rudolph of the Sapperton Fish and Game club will be speaking about rehabilitation of the Brunette next week at the Jan. 13 meeting at 7:30pm at the Clinton Elementary School library.

If you are interested in knowing about the populations of fish that inhabit the watershed, nobody knows better than Elmer. He's been volunteering for ages, and runs a hatchery nearly by himself to support the Brunette.

Cheers,

Jon

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 09:30:58 AM »

Small streams with even smaller numbers of fish shouldn't be talked about on the internet.   ::)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »

, nobody knows better than Elmer. He's been volunteering for ages, and runs a hatchery nearly by himself to support the Brunette.

Cheers,

Jon

I know more about that stream than Elmer. and I have lived 2 blocks from it for 38 years.

the person nobody speaks of that use to watch over the creek was Walter Walker, long passed away.
lived on craig st for 60+ years  , even planted the 2 cedar trees just upstream of the north rd bridge, they are now 40-50 ft tall.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »

I know more about that stream than Elmer
Wow ::) I worked with Elmer on this system back in the early 90's , sampling fish by electroshocking, measuring contaminants.  He was very helpful and knew the system inside out.
So JBJ, what are your thoughts on the Brunette?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 11:10:54 PM »

I know more about that stream than Elmer.

That's quite the statement (and insult). Do you have anything to back it up other than the geographic proximity of the Brunette to your house?

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »

i tend to believe jbj, he doesnt post without thinking like some guys
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 05:09:09 PM »

i tend to believe jbj, he doesnt post without thinking like some guys
;D ;D ;D