Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy people sockeye fishing; Seabird, St.Elmo, Laidlaw  (Read 45385 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Crazy people sockeye fishing; Seabird, St.Elmo, Laidlaw
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2014, 09:07:41 AM »

Did the 3-foot leader restriction ever went through??
I guess the more we worry about our resources, less the feds' concern...
Enjoy flossing salmon on Fraser over the next few weeks as the Feds/DFO are busy with their own political agenda.

FOC/DFO has no control over fishing regs on the Fraser or any other non-tidal water in the Province. All it can do is close or open fishing for salmon & regulate retention limits. Cohen made no recommendations regarding tackle and there are far bigger ethical issues in the Province than leader lengths on the Fraser or if a fish is hooked outside the lips or in. :D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

speycaster

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2014, 08:10:52 AM »

I always fish with a three foot leader, fifteen foot rod, ten to fifteen feet of T-17, three foot leader.  I always try to keep Chris happy. ;D Sockeye love the fly at the end of that three foot leader. ;D ;D

Nucks

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »

Why would anyone want to live in Chilliwack or other such redneck little town when there is a fascinating international metropolis on the seaside just 90 clicks away is beyond me.  ::)

....because not everyone thinks Vancity is the centre of the universe.

bald_seagull

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »

....because not everyone thinks Vancity is the centre of the universe.
2nd that

I moved out here from Toronto only to find Vancouver snobs may be even worse, city people will never understand the beauty in not having a starbucks and gas station on every corner. Its nice to live in a place small enough to know a few people around town by name and doesnt have a stoplight every 100m.

I wish I could afford to commute from outside the city better yet find a good paying job in Nelson or Revelstoke.

Nucks

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2014, 01:38:53 PM »

Not too mention the smog, and lack of jobs. If you have to commute to Vancouver your wasting 1/3 of your life commuting and all your savings on your property just got eaten up on commuting costs. Oh did I mention the smog?

I live in Maple Ridge. Nope its not Vancouver but we have several rivers, creeks and lakes. Not too mention no smog. We also have some of the best trails in all the Mainland. Its about an hour commute to Vancouver unlike that 2.5-3 hour commute from Chilliwack ( luckily I live and work in Maple Ridge but my wife has to do the commute )

You like living in the smog capital of BC? You can keep it!!

Do you really think Maple Ridge is all that?

Where else have you lived for comparison?

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2014, 02:40:03 PM »

Why would anyone want to live in Chilliwack or other such redneck little town when there is a fascinating international metropolis on the seaside just 90 clicks away is beyond me.  ::)

Each to their own

I tend to think the opposite of you. Not that Chilliwack is without its own issues, but I do enjoy that it is quieter, less congested and its proximity to the outdoors, yet when I find something fascinating in the "international metropolis along the sea side" I am only ninety clicks away.

Not that fishing trumps everything but fishing does play a large part in my life, probably more so than a lot of people, so I really enjoy being a little closer to the countless fishing opportunities and locations the area provides.

You're right, to each their own. We cannot all live in the same location, so it is a good thing people like different things about different areas :)

Oh, and if you think Chilliwack is a redneck little town you must not have spent too much time or at least stopped at most towns outside of the lower mainland :D

Nucks

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2014, 02:57:35 PM »

Oh, and if you think Chilliwack is a redneck little town you must not have spent too much time or at least stopped at most towns outside of the lower mainland :D

I realize I'm generalizing here but why is it that a lot of people that live in the lower mainland bubble think that every town on the fringes is a hick or redneck town?

BNF, you could use your exact same analogy (quieter, less congested, proximity to outdoors) to the towns outside the lower mainland bubble to Chilliwack. The same way you did when comparing Chilliwack to Vancity.

All depends where you came from, where you've been, and where you want to end up.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »

I don't disagree with you at all.

All depends where you came from, where you've been, and where you want to end up.

Exactly :)

Nucks

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »

Not too mention the smog, and lack of jobs. If you have to commute to Vancouver your wasting 1/3 of your life commuting and all your savings on your property just got eaten up on commuting costs. Oh did I mention the smog?

I live in Maple Ridge. Nope its not Vancouver but we have several rivers, creeks and lakes. Not too mention no smog. We also have some of the best trails in all the Mainland. Its about an hour commute to Vancouver unlike that 2.5-3 hour commute from Chilliwack ( luckily I live and work in Maple Ridge but my wife has to do the commute )

You like living in the smog capital of BC? You can keep it!!
Kinda thought you'd disappear..............
Just wondering, did you and Milo end up going halfers on a high horse?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2014, 08:29:54 PM »

Kinda thought you'd disappear..............
Just wondering, did you and Milo end up going halfers on a high horse?

Your bringing up something from 4 years ago so what brought you back here?

I got a new job almost 2 years ago so I no longer work in Maple Ridge. I have to commute to Vancouver 5 days a week. I enjoy visiting Chilliwack but to be honest it would not be a choice I would prefer to live. My father grew up in the Sumas Prairie I know the area very well. I have lived all over the LM as well as have lived on the Island.

I am hardly on my high horse but if you read all 5 pages this post I made was in retaliation to other posts. When I retire I plan on having two homes. A house in the interior and a condo somewhere down south. Got myself a nice union job now just like my wife. We will be comfortable when we retire. So I can live the best of both worlds.

So now that you have the update whats new with you, 4 years later? Oh and I bought my sockeye this year. 10 fish, cleaned gutted for $15/fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Nucks

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2014, 09:15:15 PM »

Not really.

I'm happy you got a union job, I truly am. Too bad you have to commute, I did that once. Time you'll never get back but you have to do what you have to do. Sounds like you have a good job, I'm happy for you.

I just take offence when you think MR is the best place on earth. It truly isn't, not even close. It was a great place to grow up in the 80's, 90's and even 20's.........but not now.

I've lived in MR and Chilliwack, and I know which would be my preference. I did notice that didn't mention the crime and poverty in MR when comparing it to Chilliwack. There are some awesome places to live in MR and Chilliwack. Just don't think one place is so much better than the other unless you've spent some time there. I graduated from the same school as you, I just don't think the same towards MR as you do.

So where else have you lived for a decent amount of time?

I kinda think along the same lines as you. A place in the interior and the Fraser Valley would be awesome. But who knows by the time you and I both retire.

Fyi- I'm trying to buy my sockeye this year.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2014, 09:19:47 PM »

Not really.

I'm happy you got a union job, I truly am. Too bad you have to commute, I did that once. Time you'll never get back but you have to do what you have to do. Sounds like you have a good job, I'm happy for you.

I just take offence when you think MR is the best place on earth. It truly isn't, not even close. It was a great place to grow up in the 80's, 90's and even 20's.........but not now.

I've lived in MR and Chilliwack, and I know which would be my preference. I did notice that didn't mention the crime and poverty in MR when comparing it to Chilliwack. There are some awesome places to live in MR and Chilliwack. Just don't think one place is so much better than the other unless you've spent some time there. I graduated from the same school as you, I just don't think the same towards MR as you do.

So where else have you lived for a decent amount of time?

I kinda think along the same lines as you. A place in the interior and the Fraser Valley would be awesome. But who knows by the time you and I both retire.

Fyi- I'm trying to buy my sockeye this year.

Are you older or younger? I am 40

I hardly think MR is the best place on earth or even the best place in the LM. Drugs are pretty bad here. Its just not as dangerous as Surrey where I grew up. I did not want to raise my 3 kids in Surrey. Growing up Surrey was fine, a nice growing municipality. Things changed, population was growing way too fast and with that crime.

If I could live anywhere with my kids I would move back to the island. Loved it!! Only problem is work, there is none.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Nucks

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »

In opinion, MR is the new Surrey. It has been for many years.

Unfortunately, drugs are bad everywhere.

Tragic actually as MR was once a beautiful place to grow up.

You are correct sir, the island is a beautiful place to live. That's where the wife and I would love to end up. Who knows what it's like when we retire though. Could have gone through the same cycle as MR. There's actually lots of work, you just have to be adaptable.

Nucks

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2014, 09:52:53 PM »

Your bringing up something from 4 years ago so what brought you back here?

I got a new job almost 2 years ago so I no longer work in Maple Ridge. I have to commute to Vancouver 5 days a week. I enjoy visiting Chilliwack but to be honest it would not be a choice I would prefer to live. My father grew up in the Sumas Prairie I know the area very well. I have lived all over the LM as well as have lived on the Island.

I am hardly on my high horse but if you read all 5 pages this post I made was in retaliation to other posts. When I retire I plan on having two homes. A house in the interior and a condo somewhere down south. Got myself a nice union job now just like my wife. We will be comfortable when we retire. So I can live the best of both worlds.

So now that you have the update whats new with you, 4 years later? Oh and I bought my sockeye this year. 10 fish, cleaned gutted for $15/fish.

Go to your 1991 yearbook and turn to page 27........... I'm the guy with Mr. Herman :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »

In Lillooet now and they are TOWing away here too, for sockeye.
Last week tried float fishing for sockeye in the Thompson with ghost shrimp with no success  but the BB crew were getting them.

Enjoyed watching the First Nations dip netting at Bridge River, lots of history there. Spent the night camped at Carpenter Lake, bit of an experience on the drive in, a lot of falling rocks. A bear nearly ran into the Leaf Mobile on the way out, off to the Thompson now for some chinook jacks.