Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy people sockeye fishing; Seabird, St.Elmo, Laidlaw  (Read 45100 times)

jimyvr

Crazy people sockeye fishing; Seabird, St.Elmo, Laidlaw
« on: August 28, 2010, 06:53:52 PM »

Hey there. Long time reader and new time member.  I went out Thursday Aug 26 with a couple of friends to try some luck sockeye fishing on the mighty Fraser but instead witnessed some really bizarre and dangerous behavior by my fellow fisherman.

First off was Seabird bar near Agassiz where it was unbelievably crowded for 7am. Got a spot after much hunting and basically saw no action for hours. No one told us that a commercial opening just happened haha. Oh well. But what was strange is how people kept trying to push into the smallest spots. Like only 5 feet between rods! I kid you not. One fellow was drifting with a 20ft leaders and managed to hook another man in the collar while casting. All hell broke loose since the hook was barbed and nearly missed the guy’s artery. The guy hooked pulled out a knife and cut off the line, ran up to guy who hooked him and threw his rod/reel into the water.  He yelled a bit more and then walked back and continued fishing. This was a bit too much excitement (and lack of fish for us) so we packed up and went to a bar off the St. Elmo road exit.

We found a nice bar in geared up in the middle of about 25 fishermen. People were accommodating and it seemed like our luck would change.  There were even some families there with little kids. We thought this would be a good vibe.  About 20 mins later - and still no fish we saw two little girls coming up to fisherman along the bar offering to sell some fishing gear they found along the bar. It was cute but sort of dangerous because one of the girls nearly had herself accidentally hooked by a man casting above her; a close call again.  Now the really bizarre thing was 10 minutes later this totally enraged male in his 30s (tattoos on his arms and neck) was charging up the river demanding to know who talked to his little girls. We shrugged and he kept moving a bit up and started screaming at this guy near the end of the bar. He was yelling at him about how no one is allowed to talk to his girls and actually seemed threatening. We were going to call 911 since it looked like someone was going to be pushed into the river. It was amazing because there was so much screaming you’d think someone got stabbed. If anyone knows this tattoo-ed guy from St. Elmo with 2 girls - tell him he needs anger management. So much for mellow fishing LOL…

We stuck around a bit longer but got skunked again. The commercial fishing really halted things - and the local fisherman were also complaining about how bad it was.

Again we packed up and tried a bar on Laidlaw a miles down the road. We were lucky since there were hardly any people there for some reason and cast in. Within 5 minutes all 3 of us had snags! Lol Now we knew why no one was there. We kept plunking but had no luck and lost a ton of betties. A sacrifice to the fish gods haha.

After an hour we walked away and had a great dinner in Chillliwack – of sockeye burgers of course.

So lessons learned: Don’t fish after a commercial opening and be careful out there – there are a lot of careless people fishing AND easily enraged people threatening each other over nothing..

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:57:20 PM by jimyvr »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Crazy people sockeye fishing; Seabird, St.Elmo, Laidlaw
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 07:48:28 PM »

Welcome to sockeye mania. ;D ::) ??? Try the peaceful art of bar fishing next time but a boat is needed o get away from what you saw. We had a bar all to ourselves on Thursday and Friday and got one adult chinook salmon and a good size chinook jack.

The next three years should not see a sockeye opening because of low returns and the Fraser will return to some type of order.

When the sockeye season closes this year the silence on the Fraser River will be deafening.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »

When the sockeye season closes this year the silence on the Fraser River will be deafening.

But the solitude will be disrupted by the sounds of jet boats and outboard motors of boats of bar fishers. ;D

fishfinder

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »

Why does anyone bother to go sockeye fishing on these packed bars full of stressed out fishermen when you can buy them from the commercial fishermen for $15 a fish, or 4 for $50 (as mentioned in another thread). Just think how much you spend on gas, food, tackle and other things especially if you have to drive out from Vancouver or Richmond. I am not sure if it's worth the trouble when sockeyes are selling so cheaply on the docks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:08:43 PM »

Yep... ;D

this fishery brings out some of the worst users and the worst of some users.

sagerod

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 10:01:51 PM »

Yes its crazy, fishing at these local bars is totally ruin. Thanks to the sports stores and the internet.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 10:52:35 PM »

Got to love the sockeye fishery and everything that goes with it. ;)
The Bigger The Better!

purplehelmet

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 11:14:34 PM »

FISHFINDER nailed it...  What a cupcakes-show full of Banjos & inbred hillbillies!!!!!!! 
It's NOT good for the smoker!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 11:30:44 PM »

Why does anyone bother to go sockeye fishing on these packed bars full of stressed out fishermen when you can buy them from the commercial fishermen for $15 a fish, or 4 for $50 (as mentioned in another thread). Just think how much you spend on gas, food, tackle and other things especially if you have to drive out from Vancouver or Richmond. I am not sure if it's worth the trouble when sockeyes are selling so cheaply on the docks.

Im guessing your looking at it in the perspective that most they sportsfisherman live outside of Chilliwack. But for those Living in and around Chilliwack (most people), It is way cheaper to go catch your 2 fish then drive out to vancouver or richmond and purchase of the commercials. Also Iv noticed the people who are coming from the west end of the Valley usually come in packs, kids and all. One tank of gas and 10 sockeye still works out pretty good. Most people find its half the fun to get out and catch a fish for themself, Although I agree with you, it is stressful sometimes expecially if your without a boat.
The Bigger The Better!

fishfinder

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 09:00:48 AM »

Even if you have a boat the Fraser looks like Highway 1 during the weekend. It was packed from Peg leg all the way up past Spaghetti bar. I stopped counting after 150 boats, and those were the ones beached. There were loads of boats in holding pattern looking for  fishing spots. It was really crazy.

Yes, I was writing from the perspective of coming out from Vancouver. You guys living in Chilliwack have it good being so close to all the bars. I agree half the fun is catching the fish yourself, but with this kind of fishing everyone is an expert after two days, or at least they sure act that way. Anyway, stay safe and remember to have fun out there.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 10:12:37 AM »

Yep. I experienced exactly the same thing and pretty well decided sockeye fishing is not for me.

Here's a question? Are some people doing this financially hard up in some way? BigFisher's comment got me wondering about this because some of the people out there are pretty serious about getting their meat to the point that they will act aggressively toward anyone who strays into their space...just wondering.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 10:26:43 AM »

Personally I just think it is the mindset of some people. Some people take sockeye fishing way too seriously.

cohojoe

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 10:49:14 AM »

that was a great photo of the anglers crowding each other.   Looks like a parking lot. 

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 11:31:37 AM »

Hey there. Long time reader and new time member.  I went out Thursday Aug 26 with a couple of friends to try some luck sockeye fishing on the mighty Fraser but instead witnessed some really bizarre and dangerous behavior by my fellow fisherman.

First off was Seabird bar near Agassiz where it was unbelievably crowded for 7am. Got a spot after much hunting and basically saw no action for hours. No one told us that a commercial opening just happened haha. Oh well. But what was strange is how people kept trying to push into the smallest spots. Like only 5 feet between rods! I kid you not. One fellow was drifting with a 20ft leaders and managed to hook another man in the collar while casting. All hell broke loose since the hook was barbed and nearly missed the guy’s artery. The guy hooked pulled out a knife and cut off the line, ran up to guy who hooked him and threw his rod/reel into the water.  He yelled a bit more and then walked back and continued fishing. This was a bit too much excitement (and lack of fish for us) so we packed up and went to a bar off the St. Elmo road exit.

We found a nice bar in geared up in the middle of about 25 fishermen. People were accommodating and it seemed like our luck would change.  There were even some families there with little kids. We thought this would be a good vibe.  About 20 mins later - and still no fish we saw two little girls coming up to fisherman along the bar offering to sell some fishing gear they found along the bar. It was cute but sort of dangerous because one of the girls nearly had herself accidentally hooked by a man casting above her; a close call again.  Now the really bizarre thing was 10 minutes later this totally enraged male in his 30s (tattoos on his arms and neck) was charging up the river demanding to know who talked to his little girls. We shrugged and he kept moving a bit up and started screaming at this guy near the end of the bar. He was yelling at him about how no one is allowed to talk to his girls and actually seemed threatening. We were going to call 911 since it looked like someone was going to be pushed into the river. It was amazing because there was so much screaming you’d think someone got stabbed. If anyone knows this tattoo-ed guy from St. Elmo with 2 girls - tell him he needs anger management. So much for mellow fishing LOL…

We stuck around a bit longer but got skunked again. The commercial fishing really halted things - and the local fisherman were also complaining about how bad it was.

Again we packed up and tried a bar on Laidlaw a miles down the road. We were lucky since there were hardly any people there for some reason and cast in. Within 5 minutes all 3 of us had snags! Lol Now we knew why no one was there. We kept plunking but had no luck and lost a ton of betties. A sacrifice to the fish gods haha.

After an hour we walked away and had a great dinner in Chillliwack – of sockeye burgers of course.

So lessons learned: Don’t fish after a commercial opening and be careful out there – there are a lot of careless people fishing AND easily enraged people threatening each other over nothing..

For those that like the hillbilly theme, here is a nice song to listen to while reading the report.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZJej98_T0&p=012D055209B9ADD4&playnext=1&index=10

tumbleweed

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »

I went with a buddy today and that's crazy. Never tried bottom bouncing before and I don't think it my thing. I found the whole thing to be stressful. I go fishing for fun and to relax if i want to get mad and stressed I will go to work.  We lost alot of gear so in the end it would have been cheaper to buy the fish. We did catch our limit but I would rather catch no fish somewhere else than be part of that gong show again. If you need meat for your family then go for it, but if you are going for recreation this is not for you. Just my take.