Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead Sturgeon  (Read 5014 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Dead Sturgeon
« on: August 27, 2010, 12:41:47 PM »

Launched the boat on Wednesday at around 5 pm at the Rosedale bridge . As I started off I could see a Sturgeon floating down towards the back side of Ferry Island . I raced over to confirm what I saw from the launch area and sure enough it was about a 6 ' Sturgeon floating down river . It made me sick to my stomach , it had been gutted and the tail cut off and the other  fins gone . I tried to sling it with rope and drag it over to the launch area but I was drifting to close to the shallows and had to get out of there with the prop . I would have liked to get to the beach and call the DFO or get someone to scan it to see if there was any record of this monster fish . What a sick feeling  >:( . Who are those idiots that do these things  >:( . I didn't even have time to get a pic just to prove what I saw . I wonder if anyone here seen it on Wednesday .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

alan

Re: Dead Sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 01:43:41 PM »

I know that killing sturgeon is illegal and i also know that killing anything without a reason is wrong and illegal as well.  I just want to know why would they gut the fish, cut off the tail and the fins and get rid of the fish.  Does the guts and fins carry medicinal properties? 

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »

sturgeon roe (caviar). not sure why the fins tho.
should be called in to dfo regardless of having evidence or not.

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 02:34:36 PM »

I'm not sure about sturgeon but I know certain cultures believe that shark fins are highly nutritious (not true) and have some cancer fighting abilities (also not true) . It is used for soup and sold as a prestigious dish. I would imagine it would be used for something similar or sold as shark fins on the black market. Disgusting and immoral

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 03:14:12 PM »

You have obviously seen the documentary Sharkwater which I think everyone should watch. It almost brings tears watching it though not to mention a sense of anger and disgust.

I really hope that what you saw isn't a new sturgeon fin trend :-(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 03:36:43 PM »

I actually haven't  seen it yet, heard it's fairly brutal. I used to be heavily involved in conservation  so I have heard many horror stories of what animals are used for etc. I do remember a few years ago catching a sturgeon with half a tail but I assumed it was cut off by a prop...maybe not?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 03:45:46 PM »

Gosh, I might remove the fins if it meant I'd lose less net trying to get rid of something I couldn't keep or use.
Therefore being able to continue on with my fishing without the down time mending nets would incur
Removing the guts might net you some roe but it'll also work its way back into the food chain quicker.

Poor sinical me.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 04:15:45 PM »

over 90% of sharks have been wiped off the face of the earth, thanks to us.
The Bigger The Better!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »

over 90% of sharks have been wiped off the face of the earth, thanks to us.

Thanks to the demand for shark fins in the Chinese market actually.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 04:29:04 PM »

Yes, But only we can stop it.
The Bigger The Better!

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 04:49:35 PM »

I am not a fin expert but I doubt it very much that sturgeon make good "fin soup".

I know some countries farm sturgeons but I have never ever heard of them being used to make fin soup.

Caviar is probably the right assumption why it was cut opened.

shortfloat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 04:57:03 PM »

Bingo we have a winner! FISH OR CUT BAIT has hit the nail on the head. If the sturgeon doesn't sink, there are enough people with tagging kits on the river that someone will likely scan the fish for a pitt tag and submit the data.

Definitely a shame though.

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 05:39:04 PM »

If it was used for caviar, why cut off the fins? the reason I believe they were cut off is most people (especially those buying) would not be able to recognize the difference between a shark fin and sturgeon fin. Shark fin gets a higher price on the black market and I have heard of shark fins for sale in Vancouver. FYI shark fin or sturgeon fin soup has nothing to do with it being appetizing and everything to do with prestige, wealth and a belief that it will cure the people of cancer etc. People do not typically eat illegal animal parts cause they taste good, majority of the time they eat them because they believe it will cure or aid in some health issues.

alan

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 07:22:16 PM »

Maybe whoever killed the fish was going to take it home discreetly but someone ruined his plans.  Probably decided to get rid of the evidence before he got caught.

mattyo

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 07:33:03 PM »

If it was used for caviar, why cut off the fins? the reason I believe they were cut off is most people (especially those buying) would not be able to recognize the difference between a shark fin and sturgeon fin. Shark fin gets a higher price on the black market and I have heard of shark fins for sale in Vancouver. FYI shark fin or sturgeon fin soup has nothing to do with it being appetizing and everything to do with prestige, wealth and a belief that it will cure the people of cancer etc. People do not typically eat illegal animal parts cause they taste good, majority of the time they eat them because they believe it will cure or aid in some health issues.

Read fishorcutbait's post for your answer