Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any guess why we have a bonanza sockeye year compared to last year?  (Read 18350 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Any guess why we have a bonanza sockeye year compared to last year?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 03:49:37 PM »

I think there are many elitists that live on this forum.

Guilty as charged! ;D

Folks, obviously most of the participants in this discussion and similar ones have a good background in this issue. Some are academics, some work in the industry, some are simply passionate about the environment. How much one participant knows differs to another so it is your responsibility to remain civil without mocking or belittling others who engage in the discussion with you. It's unprofessional and would only discredit your POVs.

This is my last attempt to suggest how one should behave in this discussion. If it does not change then we can simply not have it.

jon5hill

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 04:12:48 PM »

The comment was sacrastic.  I will admit to not spending as much time reading literature as you have mainly due to the fact that I spend almost all of my available time away from work with my family.  This perhaps makes you a more informed person on the subject than I but certainly doesn't warrant the elitist attitude you so often present.  Just my opinion.  I think there are many elitists that live on this forum.

As you can imagine, it's often hard to read between the lines and extract the tone of a person from a line of text. I took your comment to be literal. In the same manner, you can perceive my attitude to be elitist, but I'm simply informed and passionate about the subject and will not stand idle while people say things that are not true.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2010, 10:22:58 PM »

All that proves is in that area, it was something else other than a farm...coninue to read and:
from the link provided:
The reason for the decline is unclear. Both hatchery and naturally produced fish have been negatively affected, and returns of coastal stocks in Oregon, in the Columbia River, and in British Columbia were all low in 2007. The decline seems to be a coastwide phenomenon, probably related to ocean conditions.

In fact in that link under related stories:

Dramatic Declines In Wild Salmon Populations Linked To Exposure To Farmed Salmo - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080212085841.htm

"Comparing the survival of wild salmonid populations in areas near salmon farms with unexposed populations reveals a large reduction in survival in the populations reared near salmon farms."

My point remains the same that there is no farm and problems are consistent.

And I am glad that you posted this http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080212085841.htm  for it is a fine example of miss leading information (for the general public of course but I would have thought that "one" would have noticed.  Miss leading for the following reasons.
1.  States 5 locations around the world but does not say where.
2.  Is titles salmon in trouble but suddenly into the article it becomes salmon and trout.

Location and species is very important to know for  it is known that the sea lice we have here are far less harmful than those in other locations such a Scotland. In addition to this trout are not salmon and are far more susceptible to sea lice  in other locations. (just and example)
So an average person could read that and blam, to them salmon farms forbidden for they read about it in a science mag when really the info is seriously lacking content.

Or you could just read the stuff from Suzuki or Morton where the editting /omitting of data is already done for you :)

Sounded pretty strait up to me.

Guilty as charged! ;D

Folks, obviously most of the participants in this discussion and similar ones have a good background in this issue. Some are academics, some work in the industry, some are simply passionate about the environment. How much one participant knows differs to another so it is your responsibility to remain civil without mocking or belittling others who engage in the discussion with you. It's unprofessional and would only discredit your POVs.

This is my last attempt to suggest how one should behave in this discussion. If it does not change then we can simply not have it.
It's unprofessional and would only discredit your POVs.

Could it be that the Sockeye all survived last year they just did not come back till this year.  So the 30 million fish are 4 and 5 year fish?
A crill comeback?  Maybe the cohen enquiry should strongly change gears from where did the sockeye go to where did all these fish come from?  Finish it off on a positive note.
And whats up with the theory that to many fish in the river = a pour return/escapement?

IMO
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 07:11:08 AM »

"My point remains the same that there is no farm and problems are consistent." What problems are consistent?  We have some runs doing extremely well, others OK, and I am sure  there are some doing pourly.  Each run is probably effected by a number of different factors so I can't see this consistency you refer to?

I think you would have to be a fairly nieve individual to look at one of those pictures from the Broughton or a young smolt with 20-30-40 lice of different sizes (ie generations) and not be able to acknowledge that the fish's environment is totally polluted with lice and that these lice are reducing those smolts odds of returning to spawn.

Of coarse issues exisit away from fish farms...there are toxic train spills, deforrestation, urbanization, polution from agriculture land, predation from exotic species, etc, etc.  Just because these issue exisit independantly of fish farms certainly doesnt mean fish farms have no impact...they are just another line item on a list of negative human impacts on salmon.  We can't control ocean currents or predation so it is critical we properly manage the things we can control...fish farms being merely one on a list of many.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 07:50:10 AM »

The salmon returns problem is consistent Some rivers are up, some rivers are down, some rivers are all around.  That is the consistency and there is no correlation about being near or en rout to a salmon farm.

Another major fallacy about sea lice is that they do not occur on out migrating smolts naturally and that they are only there because of the farms.  It is entirely false.  Another fabrication to suit ngo's "science".

That photo clearly followed with "dont forget to donate".

I keep hearing this thing about "farms being the one thing we can control".  I agree for I am very aware of how they are controlled and monitored.  There is a lot of control.  But to hands down get rid of them(dont talk to me about closed containment unless you will eat whole grain rice for the rest of your life) forget it.  The revenue is massive and great for our economy( schools hospitals etc.)  I think it is to bad that not more of it goes to wild salmon.   
   We control many other factors too.  Pesticide, garbage over fishing(well ah??)  there are a lot of controls.  And we get better at it all the time. The  amount of salmon farms in bc fits in an area of stanly park no problem and are in vast waterways.  The Fraser river vally is huge and populated with us spiting, fertilizing lawns, spilling chemicals.  And the the Fraser runs right through it.  We can control that right?   lets just return it back to its original state.   

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 08:47:51 AM »

That photo clearly followed with "dont forget to donate".

This comment always makes me smile and shake my head......   On one side of the equation the fish farms have corporate funding to back their enterprise.  On the same side of the equation is DFO, who is assigned the responsibility of protecting the wild salmon yet is also given the responsibility of approving fish farms (read grow the industry) and they receive their funding from our tax dollars.  ::)

And then there's Morton who is clearly fighting to protect the wild salmon. She has no corporate backers, no tax payer dollars to support her research, only the interested public that will support her efforts to fight the farms and DFO. It's her tenacity that I admire so much! She's the David fighting not one but 2 Goliaths!

Please use a better argument than suggesting she has no credibility because she needs to ask the public for support dollars....  ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 09:44:27 AM »

I am not just specifically talking about Mrs. Morton.  While she "stopped" receiving outside funding because it looks bad she still gets painted with the same brush.  Getting rid of salmon farms under the saving wild salmon flag like all ngo's.  They share all their "science" any way so whats the difference.   If she was all bout saving wild salmon she would be jumping up and down about sport fishers and commercial fishers and native fishers(all of which can be controlled) but she cant because thats where the support is to remove fish farms.  There are many other ways of control like removing salmon predators but again ngo will not touch it for they will lose support.  I can see you smiling and shaking your head and understandably so.  My point is not to be so literal but to really look at the mechanism of the ant salmon farming campaign.  Obviously it has to work this way but see it for what it is.  Again, its getting rid of salmon farms under the flag of saving the wild salmon which IMO if far more involved than just removing fish farms. 

jon5hill

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 11:53:12 PM »

My point is not to be so literal but to really look at the mechanism of the ant salmon farming campaign.  Obviously it has to work this way but see it for what it is.  Again, its getting rid of salmon farms under the flag of saving the wild salmon which IMO if far more involved than just removing fish farms. 

By your logic, if there isn't a single smoking gun culprit responsible for the decline in salmon numbers, we should give up and not try to do anything because the situation is too complex for us to understand. Let us instead sit on our asses and watch. If you have a shred of interest in the scientific process which has demonstrated clear declines in salmon populations in response to the introduction of salmon aquaculture due to parasites, waste and disease in Norway, Scotland, Ireland, Chile, and Canada, then you wouldn't have a problem with it. The more you speak about this topic, the clearer it becomes that you have no interest in the scientific process. I challenge you to find a single item in the room you are currently sitting in that hasn't at least in some manner been influenced by the development of ideas through the scientific method. Everything you do, everything you consume.. science has played a role in.

Look around you, magic didn't bring you your car and computer.

gordc

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »

Jon5, I challenge you for one second to get off your high horse and look at scientific data without allowing your morals to influence you in a bias way.  The science supporting fish farming is not all bogus much like the science against it is not all bogus.  However, you seem to be ignorant to the fact that arguements from both sides are often related to money.  For the love of God stop with the elitism.  Making your point is all fine and well but your approach is rediculous.  You'll get more flies with honey than you will with vinegar and I suspect ultimately your intention is to offer valid information.  Your attitude interferes with this effort IMO.

obie1fish

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 10:02:01 AM »

OK here's my two bits...

1) It's in everyone's best interests to have healthy stocks- that's a given. By healthy we mean not too many nor too few. Think of the ecosystem as a person. Not too much food, nor too little. Enough to withstand moderate to severe stresses- maybe even some severe ones. Just like a healthy person.

2) Stocks fluctuate due to many factors, many of which have been mentioned. No doubt there are some of which we are not aware. While we can't go chasing ghosts, we still need to acknowledge we don't know everything, and move with caution while not getting paralyzed. One extreme can bring about knee-jerk reactions, which may or may not bring desired results, while the other will bring a total lack of action.

3) In order to have healthy stocks we as a very efficient fishing people need to set limits on numbers, and be selective about the fish we do take.

4) Traditional or not, gillnetting is only selective as to size of fish, but non-selective in species. Release mort rates don't make this an efficient method, even when carefully and properly done.

5) In my opinion, salmon farms only need to do one thing to make them viable- make them land-based. I still see no real reason for not doing this beyond the point that it affects profit margin. But we're not talking about building a space station...

6) So how do I think commercials should make their living? I see side-brailling seine netting as a possibility. It's been done, but I don't know how well- it makes sense as far as release techniques are concerned when done properly. Otherwise, I'd hate to buy the salmon at the bottom of a net that was hauled up onto the stern deck.

7) Beach seining. Once again, when done properly, just as when we sporties release a fish. Same can be said for weirs.

Just my two bits from a person who doesn't have all the right answers, but just an opinion, for right or wrong. Didn't mean to turn it into a manifesto, but there ya are!

And boys: play nice ;D

jon5hill

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010, 01:27:53 PM »

Jon5, I challenge you for one second to get off your high horse and look at scientific data without allowing your morals to influence you in a bias way.  The science supporting fish farming is not all bogus much like the science against it is not all bogus.  However, you seem to be ignorant to the fact that arguements from both sides are often related to money.  For the love of God stop with the elitism.  Making your point is all fine and well but your approach is rediculous.  You'll get more flies with honey than you will with vinegar and I suspect ultimately your intention is to offer valid information.  Your attitude interferes with this effort IMO.

I've read the literature and I understand the argument from proponents and detractors of open pen fish farming. There is both more in term of quantity and quality research demonstrating the ill-effects of open-pen farming than there is demonstrating the null effects. Even if the case was that we didn't know at all, the mistake was made by not erring on the side of caution. The burden of proof lies not with those who are opposed to open pen fish farming, they need to be demonstrated as effectively neutral or helpful to the ecosystem and our wild salmon populations in an objective scientific manner. This is referred to as the precautionary principle and has not been followed. What has happened is that a number of notable and highly regarded mathematical ecologists, aquaculture experts, ichthyologists, population geneticists, evolutionary biologists, and parasitologists have demonstrated the negative impacts associated with open pen fish farming around the world by conducting multiple experiments with multiple data sets with statistically significant quantities of samples. I'm simply pointing out the truth, call me an elitist or what have you - this is the truth take it or leave it.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:42:51 PM by jon5hill »

jon5hill

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2010, 01:45:18 PM »

Here is a large list of the academic, government, industry, ngo, and dialogue reference material I am basing this from:

Auditor General of British Columbia. (2004). Salmon Forever: An Assessment of the Provincial Role in Sustaining Wild Salmon – 2004/2005 Report. Victoria, BC: Office of the Auditor General of British Columbia.

Auditor General of Canada. (2004). Chapter 5: Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Salmon Stocks, Habitat, and Aquaculture. In, 2004 Report of the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development to the House of Commons. Ottawa: Office of the Auditor General.

EVS Environmental Consultants. (2000). An Evaluation of Knowledge and Gaps related to Impacts of Freshwater and Marine Aquaculture on the Aquatic Environment (Final Report). Prepared for the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

Gardner, J. and D.L. Peterson. (2003). Making sense of the Aquaculture Debate. Report prepared for the Pacific Fisheries Resource Conservation Council.

Naylor, R.L., R.J. Goldburg, J. Primavera, N. Kautsky, M.C.M. Beveridge, J.Clay, C. Folke, J. Lubchenco, H. Mooney and M. Troell. (2001). Effects of Aquaculture on World Fish Supplies. Ecology. 8:14.

Naylor, R.L., J. Eagle and W. L. Smith. (2003). Salmon aquaculture in the Pacific Northwest: A global industry with local impacts. Environment. 45:18-39.

Naylor, R.L. and M. Burke (2005) Aquaculture and ocean resources: Raising tigers of the sea. Annual Review of Environment and Resources. 30:185-218.

Marshall, D. (2003). Fishy Business: The Economics of Salmon Farming in BC. Prepared by Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives - BC Office. Vancouver, BC. Pauly, D., V. Christensen, S. Guenette, T. J. Pitcher, U.R. Sumaila, C.J. Walters, R. Watson and D.

Zeller. (2004). Towards sustainability in world fisheries. Nature. 418: 689-695.

Rees, W. (2003). Net-pen salmon farming: failing on two fronts: An eco-footprint analysis. In Gallaugher, P., Wood, L. (Eds.). The World Summit on Salmon, June 10-13, 2003: Proceedings. Continuing Studies in Science, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC: 139-152.

Tacon, A.G.J. (2005). State of information on salmon aquaculture feed and the environment. Prepared for the World Wildlife Fund/Salmon Aquaculture Dialogue.

Bjorn, P.A. and B. Finstad. (2002). Salmon lice, Lepeophtheirus salmonis (Kroyer), infestation in sympatric populations of Arctic char, Salvelinus alpinus (L.), and sea trout, Salmo trutta (L.), in areas near and distant from salmon farms. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea Journal of Marine Science. 59:131-139.

Butler, J.R.A. (2002). Wild salmonids and sea louse infestations on the west coast of Scotland: sources of infestation and implications for the management of marine salmon farms. Pest Management Science. 58:595-608.

Connors, B.M., M. Krkosek & L.M. Dill. (2008) Sea lice escape predation on their host. Biology Letters.

Costello, M.J. (2006). Ecology of sea lice parasitic on farmed and wild fish. Trends in Parasitology. 22(10):475-477.

Dill, L.M., C.J.C. Losos, B.M. Connors, P. Mages. (2009) Comment on Beamish et al. (2007) “A proposed life history strategy for the salmon louse, Lepeophtheirus salmonis in the subarctic Pacific”. Aquaculture. 286:154-155.

Ford, J. S. and Myers, RA (2008) A Global Assessment of Salmon Aquaculture Impacts on Wild Salmonids. PLoS Biol 6(2): e33 doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.0060033 Frazer, L.N., (2009) Sea-cage aquaculture, sea lice, and declines of wild fish. Conservation Biology. 23:599–607.

Gallaugher, P. and C.D. Orr (2000). Aquaculture and the Protection of Wild Salmon. Workshop Proceedings. Speaking for the Salmon. Continuing Studies in Science, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC. [Electronic copy not available]

Gallaugher, P., C.D. Orr, M. Berry, and P. Broomhall (2002). Speaking for the Salmon: Summit of Scientists on Sea Lice. Centre for Coastal Studies, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC.

Gallaugher, P., J. Penikett, and M. Berry (2004a). Speaking for the Salmon: A Community Workshop to Review Preliminary Results of 2003 Studies on Sea Lice and Salmon in the Broughton Archipelago Area of British Columbia. Simon Fraser University, Inner Coast Natural Resource Centre, Alert Bay, BC.

Gallaugher, P., J. Penikett, and L. Wood (2004b). Speaking for the Salmon: Scientists' Roundtable on Sea Lice and Salmon in the Broughton Archipelago Area of British Columbia—Conveners Report. Continuing Studies in Science and Centre for Coastal Studies, Simon Fraser University, Morris J. Wosk Centre for Dialogue, SFU, Vancouver, BC.

Gottesfeld, A. S., B. Proctor, L. D. Rolston and C. Carr-Harris. (2009) Sea lice, Lepeophtheirus salmonis, transfer between wild sympatric adult and juvenile salmon on the north coast of British Columbia, Canada. Journal of Fish Diseases. 32: 45–57.3

Heuch, P.A., P.A. Bjorn, B. Finstad, J.C. Holst, L. Asplin and F. Nilsen. (2005). A review of the Norwegian Action Plan against salmon lice on salmonids: The effects on wild salmonids. Aquaculture. 246:79-92.

Holst, J.C., P. Jakobsen, F. Nilsen and M. Holm. (2000). Sea lice kill the wild salmon: Measures ahead! Aquaculture Report 2000. Institute of Marine Research. Bergen, Norway.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:47:49 PM by jon5hill »

jon5hill

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 01:46:10 PM »

Continued...

Holst, J.C., P. Jacobsen, F. Nilsen, M. Holm and J. Aure. (2003). Mortality of seaward-migrating postsmolts of Atlantic salmon due to salmon lice infection in Norwegian salmon stocks. In D. Mills (ed.) Salmon at the edge. Blackwell Science, Oxford:136-157.

Krkošek, M., A. Morton, J. Volpe, & M.A. Lewis. (2009) Sea lice and salmon population dynamics: Effects of exposure time for migratory fish. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B. published online, doi:10.1098/rspb.2009.0317

Krkošek, M. (2009) Sea lice and salmon in Pacific Canada: Ecology and policy. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. published online, doi:10.1890/080097

Krkošek, M., M.A. Lewis and J.P. Volpe. (2005). Transmission dynamics of parasitic sea lice from farm to wild salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 272:689-696.

Krkošek, M., M.A. Lewis, A. Morton, L.N. Frazer and J.P. Volpe. (2006). Epizootics of wild fish induced by farmed fish. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA. 103:15506-15510.

Krkošek, M., A. Gottesfeld, B. Proctor, D. Rolston, C. Carr-Harris and M.A. Lewis. (2007). Effects of host migration, diversity and aquaculture on sea lice threats to Pacific salmon populations. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. doi:10.1098/rspb.2007.1122.

Krkošek, M., J.S. Ford, A. Morton, S. Lele, R.A. Myers, and M.A. Lewis. (2007) Declining wild salmon populations in relation to parasites from farmed salmon. Science.318:1772-1775.

Lees, F., M. Baillie, G. Gettinby1 and C.W. Revie. (2008) Factors associated with changing efficacy of emamectin benzoate against infestations of Lepeophtheirus salmonis on Scottish salmon farms. Journal of Fish Diseases. 31: 947–951.

Morton, A., R. Routledge, C. Peet and A. Ladwig. (2004). Sea lice (Lepeophtheirus salmonis) infection rates on juvenile pink (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) and chum (Oncorhynchus keta) salmon in the nearshore marine environment of British Columbia, Canada. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science. 61: 147-157.

Morton, A. and R. D. Routledge (2005a). Mortality rates for Juvenile Pink Oncorhynchus gorbushca and Chum O. keta salmon infested with Sea Lice Lepeophtheirus salmonis in the Broughton Archipelago. The Alaska Fisheries Research Bulletin. 11(2): 146-152

Morton, A., R. D. Routledge and R. Williams. (2005b). Temporal patterns of sea louse infestation on wild Pacific salmon in relation to the fallowing of Atlantic salmon farms. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 25:811-821. 4

Morton, A. and R. D. Routledge. (2006). Fulton’s condition factor: Is it a valid measure of sea lice impact on juvenile salmon? North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 26:56-62.

Morton, A., R. Routledge, and M. Krkosek (2008) Sea louse infestation in wild juvenile salmon and Pacific herring associated with fish farms off the east-central coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia. North American Journal of Fisheries Management.

Orr, C. (2007). Estimated sea louse egg production from Marine Harvest Canada farmed Atlantic salmon in the Broughton Archipelago, British Columbia, 2003-2004. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 27:187-197.

Watershed Watch Salmon Society. (2004). Sea Lice and Salmon: Elevating the dialogue on the farmed wild salmon story. Watershed Watch Salmon Society, Coquitlam.

Lacroix, G. L., P. McCurdy and D. Knox. (2004). Migration of Atlantic Salmon postsmolts in relation to habitat use in a coastal system. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society.133: 1455-1471.

Morton, A.B. and J. Volpe. (2002). A description of escaped farmed Atlantic salmon Salmo salar captures and their characteristics in one Pacific salmon fishery area in British Columbia Canada, in 2000. Alaska Fishery Research Bulletin. 9:102-110. Naylor, R., K. Hindar, I.A. Fleming, R. Goldburg, S. Williams, J. Volpe, F. Whoriskey, J. Eagle, D.

Kelso and M. Mangel. (2005). Fugitive salmon: Assessing the risks of escaped fish from net-pen aquaculture. Bioscience. 55(5):427-437.

Volpe, J., E.B. Taylor, D.W. Rimmer and B.W. Glickman. (2000). Evidence of natural reproduction of aquaculture-escaped Atlantic salmon in a coastal British Columbia river. Conservation Biology. 14: 899- 903.

Volpe, J.P., B.R. Anholt and B.W. Glickman. (2001). Reproduction of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in a controlled stream channel on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society.130: 489-494.

Volpe, J.P., B.R. Anholt, B.W. Glickman and D.W. Rimmer. (In review). Native juvenile salmonids do not constitute biological resistance to the colonization of Atlantic salmon in a British Columbia river: Implications for invasion. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society.

Volpe, J.P., B.R. Anholt and B.W. Glickman. (2001). Competition among juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) and steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss): Relevance to invasion potential in British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 58:197-207.

Krogdahl, A., A.M. Bakke-Mckellep, K.H. RŘed and G. Baeverfjord (2000). Feeding Atlantic salmon Salmo salar L. soybean products: Effects on disease resistance (furunculosis) and lysozyme and IgM levels in the intestinal mucosa. Aquaculture Nutrition. 6(2):77-84.5

Kurath, G., K.A. Garver, R.M. Troyer, E.J. Emmenegger, K. Einer-Jensen and E.D. Anderson. (2003). Phylogeography of infectious haematopoietic necrosis virus in North America. Journal of General Virology. 84: 803-814.

Saksida, S. (2004). Investigation of the 2001-2003 IHN epizootic in farmed salmon in British Columbia. Prepared for the British Columbia Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and the British Columbia Salmon Farmers Association.

St-Hilaire, S., C.S. Ribble, G.S. Traxler, T. Davies and M.L. Kent. (2001). Evidence for a carrier state of infectious hematopoietic necrosis virus in Chinook salmon Onchorhynchus tshawytscha. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. 46(1):7-14.

jon5hill

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2010, 01:46:23 PM »

Continued again...

Werring, J. (2003). Implications of holding diseased fish in open net-pen fish farms and the potential impacts on wild fish and adjacent, disease-free farms, with particular reference to Infectious Hematopoietic Necrosis (IHN). Bioline – The Official Publication of the Association of Professional
Biologists of BC. 19(1):11.

Bright, D.A. and S. Dionne. (2004). Use of emamectin benzoate in the Canadian finfish aquaculture industry: A review of environmental fate and effects. Environment Canada and UMA Engineering, Victoria, BC.

Gillis, D.J. (1995). Some impacts of salmon farming in British Columbia on Pacific Herring (Clupea harengus pallasi). In, Hay, D.E. and P.B. McCarter (Eds.), Proceedings of the Seventh Pacific Coast Herring Workshop January 27-28, 1994. Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Nanaimo, BC: 77-83.

Morton, A. (2002). Displacement of Orcinus orca (L.) by high amplitude sound in British Columbia, Canada. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea Journal of Marine Science 59:71-80.

Waddy, S.L., L.E. Burridge, M.N. Hamilton, S.M. Mercer, D.E. Aiken and K. Haya. (2002). Emamectin benzoate induces molting in American lobster, Homarus americanus. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science. 59:1096-1099.

Willis, K. J. and N. Ling. (2003). The toxicity of emamectin benzoate, an aquaculture pesticide, to planktonic marine copepods. Aquaculture. 221:289-297.

Ernst, W., P. Jackman, K. Doe, F. Page, G. Julien, K. Mackay and T. Sutherland. (2001). Dispersion and toxicity to non-target aquatic organisms of pesticides used to treat sea lice on salmon in net pen enclosures. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 42:433-444.

Findlay, R.H. and L. Watling. (1997). Prediction of benthic impact for salmon net-pens based on the balance of benthic oxygen supply and demand. Marine Ecology-Progress Series. 155:147-157. Lampadariou, N., L. Karakassis, S. Teraschke and G. Arlt. (2005). Changes in benthic meiofaunal assemblages in the vicinity of fish farms in the Eastern Mediterranean. Vie et Milieu-Life and Environment. 55:61-69.6

Pohle, G., B. Frost and R. Findlay (2001). Assessment of regional benthic impact of salmon mariculture within the Letang Inlet, Bay of Fundy. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 58:417-426.

DeBruyn, A.M., M. Trudel, N. Eyding, J. Harding, H. McNally, R. Mountain, C. Orr, D. Urban, S. Verenitch and A. Mazumder. (2006). Ecosystemic effects of salmon farming increase mercury contamination in wild fish. Environmental Science and Technology. 40(11): 3489-3493. BC Aboriginal Fisheries Commission, Ahousaht First Nation, Kitasoo Fisheries, Musgamagw

Tsawataineuk Tribal Council and University of Victoria. (2004). Fish farm contaminant levels in BC First Nations Fish and Shellfish Resources. [Power Point Presentation]

Cabello, F.C. (2006) Heavy use of prophylactic antibiotics in aquaculture: A growing problem for human and animal health and for the environment. Environmental Microbiology. 8(7):1137-1144.

Cabello, F.C. (2007) Salmon aquaculture and transmission of the fish tapeworm. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 13(1):169-171.

Foran, J., D.H. Good, D.O. Carpenter, M.C. Hamilton, B.A. Knuth and S.J. Schwager. (2005). Quantitative Analysis of the Benefits and Risks of Consuming Farmed and Wild Salmon. Journal of Nutrition. 135: 2639-2643.

R.A. Hites, J.A. Foran , D.O. Carpenter, M.C. Hamilton, B.A. Knuth and S.J.Schwager. (2004). Global Assessment of Organic Contaminants in Farmed Salmon. Science. 303: 226-228.

Easton, M.D.L., D. Luszniak and E. Von der Geest. (2002). Preliminary examination of contaminant loadings in farmed salmon, wild salmon and commercial salmon feed. Chemosphere. 46:1053-1074.

Iacobs, M., J. Ferrario and C. Bryne. (2002). Investigation of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins, dibenzop- furans and selected coplnar biphenyls in Scottish farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Chemosphere 47:183-191.

Xiaoyu, H., R.A. Hites, J.A. Foran, M.C. Hamilton, B.A. Knuth, S.J. Schwager and D.O. Carpenter. (2006). Consumption advisories for salmon based on risk of cancer and noncancer health effects. Environmental Research. 101(2):263-274.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »

Enough already Jonhill.....   I don't read all that fast.  :D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[