Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder bows  (Read 4745 times)

fishfulthinkin

vedder bows
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:18:27 AM »

does anyone know where a guy could get into some decent sized bows on the vedder this time of year?. I've been getting into flyfishing recently and all i've been able to manage are tiny trout from about 4-6 inches (little anchovies haha). its fun for practicing my casting and setting the hook. just wondering if there are any fish with some size to them right now. and what flys i should be using. this time of year. there is so much to learn with this sport its very intriguing.
any tips are very much appreciated! thanks in advance
~thinkin'

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: vedder bows
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:24:44 AM »

You'll probably do better on nymphs.  Bigger fish tend to be more inclined to expend as little energy as possible (ie: grabbing a nymph at their level instead of swimming up through the water column to grab a floating insect.  Never fly fished the Vedder for trout though. 

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:27:10 AM »

thanks i'll try that. am i still looking for seams. or deeper slow water?

strobes

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:26:12 AM »

I've caught 2 just over 12 inches just up river from the train bridge. The first one I caught on a bead head black doc spratley on a sinking tip line. The second one I actually was using a muddler minnow on my floating line, I put some fly floatant on the fly to keep it on the surface in the current and it was nailed by a bunch of fish. I was also catching the big ones before 7:30 am.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:27:45 AM by strobes »
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

devon42

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »

i had luck with a small green wolly bugger with sink tip line also im sure a single egg presentation would work cuz i had a bunch of them atacking my jensen egg last weekend

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:42:04 AM »

I have had my best success on a prince nymph or a hares ear.  Floating line with a 12' leader.  Look for lots of basketball sized or larger boulders and you'll be into them.  Most are in the 8-10" range but I've seen pics of much larger.  Lots of fun on a ultra light setup.

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 12:35:56 PM »

strobes, its the trainbridge by hopedale road right? i was there last week and the biggest i got was about 5 inches. using a couple of minows it was more around 7 in the evening.
perhpas my begginer skills are not enticing the bigger ones yet haha. i'll try picking up a few more flys. maybe they're just picky. or just go earlier in the morning.

and i'd be happy to get into the 8-10" range so far i havent broken about 6". but its better than nothing, still fine while beginning as im still developing my casting technique.
thanks for the all the tips so far!

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »

strobes, its the trainbridge by hopedale road right? i was there last week and the biggest i got was about 5 inches. using a couple of minows it was more around 7 in the evening.
perhpas my begginer skills are not enticing the bigger ones yet haha. i'll try picking up a few more flys. maybe they're just picky. or just go earlier in the morning.

and i'd be happy to get into the 8-10" range so far i havent broken about 6". but its better than nothing, still fine while beginning as im still developing my casting technique.
thanks for the all the tips so far!

your in the right area, i saw a  bull trout caught and released it had to be at least 18", thinking i gotta get myself a fly rod a start chucking a few feathers it looks like on hell of a time... what weight rod would be good to start with?  would a 5wt do the job? thanks in advance take it easy and if its too easy take it again... 
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

strobes

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 01:40:55 PM »

Fishful, the hopedale is actually where I've been at. Just below the rapids where the water slows a bit and is deep is the best spot. I just walk out into the river to about just under knee deep and cast the flys about 15-20 feet and let the current pull them into the deeper water. I've tried morning and evening and for me the morning is much better. I've caught about 10 under 8 inches to every one over 8 so patience is big. But when the bigger ones hit you'll know it :)

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »

Fishful, the hopedale is actually where I've been at. Just below the rapids where the water slows a bit and is deep is the best spot. I just walk out into the river to about just under knee deep and cast the flys about 15-20 feet and let the current pull them into the deeper water. I've tried morning and evening and for me the morning is much better. I've caught about 10 under 8 inches to every one over 8 so patience is big. But when the bigger ones hit you'll know it :)

hmmm.. sounds like the spot i was trying for springs. after no action for a while i started throwing the fly around in the little channel closest to the pathway.. was getting little ones. maybe i should have worked more on trying to get the flys down in the holes where i was going for springs? i just didnt really think the fly would get deep enough in there. i'll have to try something with  a bead on it i guess? i gotta hit the tackle shop because my fly selection is pretty limited right now.
the rod i have right now is a 6 weight its a bit overkill for the tiny fries i've been catching. is a 6 wt heavy enough for sockeye or coho or should i be looking at something more of an 8wt?
thanks again for the tips guys.

strobes

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 02:38:54 PM »

Go to the south side of hopedale where the stronger/faster water is. The canals near the parking lot offer little protection I think for the big ones to hide.  Bead head spratleys with a longer leader and a sinking tip or even a full sink will get the fly deep enough for the trout to go after.
I myself have a 6/7 weight rod and my friend tells me I could land coho on it. 

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »

Also remember there will be a difference in the water you will be looking for especially for the larger fish.  Trout, especially the larger ones will take up residence in the prime lies of the river. Because unlike salmon they will be feeding on what comes washed down to them.  On the rivers that you fish that is the puzzle you have to figure out.  All part of what makes fishing fun.

Morty

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »

I suspect that most of those "bows" are steelhead smolts released from the hatchery.  Catch them now, or leave them to go to ocean and return as decent sized fish.  It's the summer pillage of those little guys that's causing the poor steelhead returns.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 10:15:56 PM »

I suspect that most of those "bows" are steelhead smolts released from the hatchery.  Catch them now, or leave them to go to ocean and return as decent sized fish.  It's the summer pillage of those little guys that's causing the poor steelhead returns.

They released the smolts a month early this year.
If they haven't gone out yet they are now competing with wild stocks.
The fish that are in the river right now are either residents or will stay an extra few years before smolting so wont effect the numbers in 4 years from now.

Morty

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 08:36:23 AM »

They released the smolts a month early this year.
If they haven't gone out yet they are now competing with wild stocks.
The fish that are in the river right now are either residents or will stay an extra few years before smolting so wont effect the numbers in 4 years from now.

Seems Contradctory!
If they haven't gone out and are competing with local stocks (and fishermen) then THERE WILL BE AN EFFECT on the numbers 4 years from now.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"