Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder bows  (Read 4744 times)

buck

Re: vedder bows
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 11:58:49 AM »

Everyday

Smolts were not released a month early this year-- same time as usual, first week in May. There is some evidence that some of the smolts may migrate out of the system in early fall. Having fished the system for 45 years and observing migration timings , I have noticed over the years an out migration of wild steelhead smolts in the first 2 weeks of September. So there is that possibility that hatchery smolts that were not up to size could  migrate at a later date. Competition with wild smolts is low at best as there are few in the lower river. The majority of wild smolts come from the upper river.  At a buck a smolt I would like to see them go to sea and come back as adults.

Morty

Re: vedder bows
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 11:11:19 PM »

Thanks Buck.  I haven't met you yet but comments I've read on this site previously lead me to believe that you are someone with credibility to know what's really going on with fish stocks on the Chedder system.  I'm sensing that you also agree that it would be best if "bows" not be retained from this system.

What would you estimate is the percentage of steelhead smolts to true rainbows in the system at this time of year?
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"