Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bounty on northern pikeminnow  (Read 9921 times)

joska

• Old Timer
Re: Bounty on northern pikeminnow
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 01:50:42 PM »

pikeminnows for sturgeon bait who would have ever thought... ::)
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 02:03:44 PM »

pikeminnows for sturgeon bait who would have ever thought... ::)

I was actually giving them out earlier in the year  ;D
I realize that pikeminnows work well for sturgy bait, and that they feed on them, but I still don't think they will rely on them.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 02:07:33 PM »

Anyways....are there ways to remove millfoil once it is introduced....or is that a done deal?

Right now they are in the process of trying to find out if Cultus Lake has a native weevil (may have already found out, been about 2 months since I was working there).
If the lake does have a native weevil, they will most likely go ahead and culture a whole bunch of them and release them into the lake.

Basically the weevil attacks the new growth on the plants and stops them from growing causing them to die.
Once the milfoil is gone the weevil dies off or goes back to original population sizes.
This has worked in many other heavily infested lakes and has not wrecked the ecosystem, hopefully it can work up at Cultus too.

StillAqua

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 03:35:45 PM »

Right now they are in the process of trying to find out if Cultus Lake has a native weevil (may have already found out, been about 2 months since I was working there).
If the lake does have a native weevil, they will most likely go ahead and culture a whole bunch of them and release them into the lake.

Basically the weevil attacks the new growth on the plants and stops them from growing causing them to die.
Once the milfoil is gone the weevil dies off or goes back to original population sizes.
This has worked in many other heavily infested lakes and has not wrecked the ecosystem, hopefully it can work up at Cultus too.

A milfoil weevil...who'd a thunk it. A friend of mine makes a bundle every year culturing ladybugs for release and sells them to organic gardeners...maybe we could do the same with a milfoil weevil. ;D

I could see how a high population of pikeminnows in Cultus could keep sockeye numbers down. They can probably only eat so many, a small percentage which isn't a problem when there are lots of smolts migrating out of the lake. But if there are few smolts, they would probably take a higher percentage of the population so the predation pressure is much greater.