Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser sockeye close to certified sustainable after adjudicator rules against ob  (Read 2068 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

Seems like theres no problem at all ::)

Fraser sockeye close to certified sustainable after adjudicator rules against objection
  By Larry Pynn, Vancouver SunJuly 12, 2010

Fraser River sockeye are one step closer to being certified sustainable by the Marine Stewardship Council after a ruling Monday.
Photograph by: Vancouver Sun Files, HandoutFraser River sockeye are one step closer to being certified sustainable by the Marine Stewardship Council.

The council said in a news release Monday that an independent adjudicator, Halifax-based maritime attorney Wylie Spicer, has ruled against objections to the certification of the Fraser sockeye fishery.

"The certifier will now submit the Final Certification Report to MSC recommending the fishery be certified," the release stated. "The fishery is not yet certified; however, it is anticipated that, following final internal MSC review of the documents, the certifier will issue a certificate and MSC will announce certification."

In February, the David Suzuki Foundation, Skeena Wild Conservation Trust, and Watershed Watch Salmon Society filed an objection over the determination made by TAVEL Certification (now part of Moody Marine Ltd.) that the Fraser River salmon fishery should be certified.

Spicer held a hearing in late May and subsequently reviewed materials submitted by the parties involved.

The Fraser River area is one of four units of certification in the B.C. sockeye salmon fishery that sought certification to the MSC standard. The other three units — Skeena River, Nass River and Barkley Sound — were not part of this objection procedure and recently successfully completed certification.

The Fraser River certification includes 17 conditions that must be achieved by the fishery on specified time scales. Among them: a clear commitment to implement recovery action plans for Cultus and Sakinaw sockeye; evidence that First Nation issues regarding aboriginal and treaty rights have been identified and these issues are being addressed through an effective consultation or negotiation process; and a research plan that addresses identified concerns related to the impact of the fishery on the ecosystem, with emphasis on non-target stocks, and takes into consideration socioeconomic factors and anticipated changes to fisheries.

Currently, 12 Canadian fisheries are certified to the MSC standard and 17 others are in the assessment process. In B.C., certified fisheries also include halibut and albacore tuna.

The release said there is uncertainty in the scientific community as to the reasons for low sockeye returns; however, "there is general agreement that commercial fishing pressure is not the cause for these declines...."

lpynn@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

clarki

• Old Timer

There is a disconnect here that I don't understand.

I understand the criteria to determine if a fishery is sustainable however I don't understand how a fishery can have lower than expected runs for several years running (two for sure, maybe three?), there being no commercial fishery for several years (two, maybe three?) and yet that fishery being certified as sustainable.

I don't understand...

emac

Yea, what's the deal here.  I don't see why it is so difficult for this fishery to get certified in the first place.

Taken from Moody Marine and Fishery Certification:

"Fishery certification is seen as a way of identifying those fisheries which meet high environmental and management standards."

With boats sitting in the docks and not burning gas the impact they're having on the environment can't be much.  High environmental standards - CHECK.  Since they aren't fishing much for sockeye they don't have much to manage. High management standards - CHECK.

Seems like a no brainer to me. Get that certification in place already!  :P

Seriously though, without doing a lot of research on MSC I'm very skeptical on what they deem "certified sustainable seafood".  I guess they can certify the fishing as ethical but if the stocks get completely depleted they can point the finger elsewhere as they aren't the ones deciding if fishing should be allowed.  Further proof that CSR initiatives and sustainability certifications have a long way to go.  Sustainable seafood certifications will probably go the route of all the other bull#@$ and turn purely into a marketing technique.  Better get your butter with Omega 3 so you don't get colon cancer.

Also, do you not think there is concern, whether from government or not, about these other BC sockeye fisheries being certified sustainable while the largest river is not?  We can't let that happen when we're promoting to the world "You gotta be here!"  I'm sure there was ample pressure to ensure the Fraser sockeye certification.  I'm just surprised MSC didn't go to "Halifax-based maritime attorney Wylie Spicer" sooner to make the final call.  Halifax.  That about sums it up.