Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing lesson  (Read 3015 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
fly fishing lesson
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »

Im learning how to fly fish and I found this video to be a great lesson. He has a series of them.

enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBSJhQTf8fc&feature=related

Clarki Hunter

Re: fly fishing lesson
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:53:05 PM »

Congrats on taking up feather chucking.  You'll have 5 new rods and tying your own flies in no time!  LOL

I started last year and one thing that's helped immensely with casting is to really focus on the stops.  Especially the back stroke stop.  In the beginning minimize the rod drift at the end of each stroke and really try to flex the rod with a crisp stop.  You'll start to feel the rod flex and throw the line out. 

Good luck, I hope it goes well.

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 02:04:09 AM »

i've also noticed that watching my back cast rather than front helps.. always seems its the back cast that i have more trouble with. could just be me.. but it works to watch the back
a little more than you normally would.
deffinantly the stops are key. and after a while you'll start to feel it and not so much think about it. once that happens your well on your way

BBarley

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 02:09:13 AM »

Watching both front and back cast when learning, I found essential. The movement of the rod tip and the stop is crucial to forming the loop needed to properly turn the line over onto the water regardless of weather conditions.

lovetofish

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:28:34 AM »

Some very good helpful hints here.  Being poorly self taught, my casting improved a lot when I started watching my back casts. And remembering to Stop! I am still in the thinking level of casting ie Backcast stop. forecast stop. and repeat as needed. I still have to concentrate on what I am doing rather than just doing it.
Have fun.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:07:41 PM »

Here is a tip: It is not 10 & 2 anymore. Those numbers worked well cane and glass. For our newer space age graphite your numbers are 9 & 1. Graphite rods require a bit more force to load well.The 9 & 1 cast, which is also know as a wind cutter cast, puts more force into the casting stoke. You want to throw the line high behind you on the back cast and then push it down in front of you on the forward cast  

Think of shaking hands; reach out as you do when you shake hand with rod in hand, and you will find your tip at 9 to 9:30 on the clock. Now with your wrist straight and you elbow touching your ribs bring your hand up (rod in hand) as you would when you answer the phone. In this position your rod tip should be at 1 on the clock face.

Don't bother trying to remember the numbers, you can get confused between where the rod tip should be and your hand should be. Focus on keeping your wrist straight, and your elbow down, while you answer the phone and shake hands.

Casting is easy with the right instructions.  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:33:18 PM by newsman »
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

BBarley

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:48:56 AM »

I agree with the 9 and 1 cast, definitely had to use that one the other day to punch a cast into the wind.

My personal recommendation, and this I was told to me by Certified Fly Casters, is pay close attention to loop control when overhead casting. The openness or closeness of your loop plays a huge role in presenting the line properly.

Best thing when learning is to experiment and find out what feels comfortable for you. Don't be afraid to look like a dork and go out on a big field and just overhead fly cast to see what different rod positions and stop locations do to the dynamic of the fly line.