Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Fishing Bass on St. Marys Lake  (Read 2265 times)

bklem

Fly Fishing Bass on St. Marys Lake
« on: August 09, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »

Heading to the cabin on Saltspring in a few weeks, and St. Marys lake is a stones throw away.  However, I havn't been fishing for that long (even less time fly fishing), and have never brought my gear over to the island.  Any advice on depth, and flies this time of year?

jimmywits

Re: Fly Fishing Bass on St. Marys Lake
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 08:02:58 PM »

Heading to the cabin on Saltspring in a few weeks, and St. Marys lake is a stones throw away.  However, I havn't been fishing for that long (even less time fly fishing), and have never brought my gear over to the island.  Any advice on depth, and flies this time of year?
For depth information go to the www.gofishbc.com and click on go fishing , scroll down and click on Lake Depth Maps and type in St Mary's lake. You could also click on the Fish Wizard to get info on that lake.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fly Fishing Bass on St. Marys Lake
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:06 AM »

Like trout, smallies tend to go deep when the weather is hot and surface temps warm. Go deeper (below 15 feet) or fish early and late around bloat docks etc. Night fishing may be worthwhile.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.