Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Volunteers needed for stream enrichment project, June 8th or 9th  (Read 3094 times)

Nutterbug

Re: Volunteers needed for stream enrichment project, June 8th or 9th
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:50:04 PM »

Why is fertilizer needed to enrich a stream?

RG

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:41:23 PM »

Nutrient enhancement is just one of several tools used to restore fish habitat, especially in the lower mainland.  Nutrient enhancement can increase primary and secondary production (i.e. plankton and macroinvertebrate biomass = food for juvenile salmonids).  Nutrients like Nitrogen and Phosphorus (inorganic nutrients) have always been the lower mainland’s limiting factor where lakes and streams are concerned (high rain fall and insoluble granite rock).  Instead, returning pacific salmon provided nutrients (organic nutrients) to rivers and lakes when they die.  Unfortunately, poor logging practices, urban development, loss of riparian habitat (streamside vegetation) and over-harvesting of salmon have reduced the numbers of returning salmon, ultimately reducing the nutrient availability of our streams.  Therefore, in an effort to mitigate this impact we use nutrient enhancement projects to increase growth of juvenile salmonids by increasing the amount of food available to them.  Furthermore, streambank stabilizing, spawning channels and instream habitats are also created for restoration efforts.  Again, poor logging practices, urban development and hydro-electric projects have reduced natural flow regimes and do not support favourable juvenile salmonid habitat.  These are just some of the methods used to try and restore our streams.  Hope this helps, in any event, it’s important and I’m sure they would love your help.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:33:36 PM »

Great post RG.  Good to read we have another knowledgeable and articulate person aboard who understands this stuff.
The Chilliwack River Action Committee has been involved in this program since it's inception; it's a feel good program that really does work.  If you get the chance, get involved.  I'm sure more post's regarding this program will be coming.

Buck_wife

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 11:47:35 AM »

Is this activity an 'adult' activity, or would this be something that my kids could do??  It doesn't work for us this time around, but maybe in the future we could help out.

Nutterbug

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 12:12:28 PM »

I was also of the impression that fertilizer getting into the water system also increases the algae and deprives the wildlife of oxygen.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 03:42:09 PM »

Nutterbug, you need to do some research on this subject.  Just Google "nutrient supplements in coastal streams" or some such wordage.

Kathy, in the past it has been adult oriented (ie. packing and placing in swift flowing streams 30lb sacks of slow release nutrients) but that could possibly change.   Wish all families were as keen as you guys :)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »

my whole family participates in the stream fertilization projects.
from my 6 year old to my 13 year old...

Buck_wife

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:00:27 PM »

thanks Dave!  ;) we try.... ;D