Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing in Penticton????  (Read 27325 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
fishing in Penticton????
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:57:33 PM »

Hi guys. 

Just got word that i am headed to Penticton on the week of July 11.  Wondering if its worth bringing the Rod... Any systems worth fishing..

Also i am thinking of bringing the wife and kids along.. Any secrets of the area you would like to pass on let me know
see ya on the river

rides bike to work

Re: fishing in Penticton????
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »

twin lakes is packed with yellow perch lots of fun easy to catch also the lake by the store near twin lakes on the highway has some large bass top secret though dont tell anyone.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:23:46 PM »

twin lakes is packed with yellow perch lots of fun easy to catch also the lake by the store near twin lakes on the highway has some large bass top secret though dont tell anyone.

Twin lakes suck. I stayed at my wifes bosses cabin on the lake for 3 days during the May long weekend. Those perch are like 4 inches long. Their are trout in there but since their is millfoil in the lake those fish are only about 8-10 inches long. Lots of carp if thats your thing.

I would fish Yellow lake off the highway before the Twin Lakes turnoff. We fished it and had a blast. Stocked with Pennasks and up to 3lbs. Also brookies in the lake.

Skaha is in Penticton and has bass.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:36:40 AM »

--skaha if you're bringing a boat.
--trout, kokanee and bass of good size.
--troll or cast along shore for bass or trout.

--yellow lots of pressure beside the road but also lots of catchable size fish, brookies and rainbows.

-several local lakes nearby for flyfishing depending on how far you want to travel, time wise from penticton. 

--if taking the kids: boat launch and swim area in kaleden or main beach in penticton also a good boat launch there
-- good guides available for okanagan and skaha lks for bass trout or kokanee if you don't want to bring gear. not much in the way of fishing boat rentals in the area if you'r not bringing you own.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:14:33 PM »

skaha...

i wont be brinigng a boat...

I dont want to go to far out of penticton... at most 20 minutes...
see ya on the river

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 09:03:31 PM »

--What kind of gear are you braining?  Do you just want to catch some fish for release?
--It's going to be tough fishing from shore.. hot weather and skidoos

--you could try the old KVR railroad bridge in OKanagan falls..if to many people swimming from it walk along the railroad grade a bit and cast. mainly bass and carp but could get some trout cruising along the drop off not far from shore. also bass right in close to shore in the railroad rip rap.

--Okanagan lk, boatlaunch on the way to sunoka beach. you will see guys fishing early morning at the boat launch. You could use large spin rod to cast out with float and bait.. they catch some large rainbows .
--yellow has a few spots along the highway that can cast from shore the parking lots at both ends of the lake get a lot of pressure and east end fairly shallow. you'll see some pull outs near middle of the lake that you can access some deeper water for casting.

--where the channel flows into skaha you can drift a float or light spoon out into the lake from the west side beach area. probably hook carp but trout will feed in this area as well.

--if not crowded you could flyfish this area from shore.

--similkamene  river any spot along the road to princeton decent trout fishing on the fly also whitefish if you have light spin tackle try single plastic egg or other plastic on a light jig or drop shot style... light casting spoons or spinners. .. this is probably 30 min plus from penticton.

--if really hot might want to try some of the higher elevation areas like nickleplate lake near apex mountain... fairly rough road though

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 10:35:55 PM »

thanks.. i might just do the boat launch thing with my daughter...

she is 3 and has yet to be fishing.... it will be a simple catch and release so it really dosent matter if its a carp or trout... 

thanks for the info..
see ya on the river

fish bonk

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 11:02:26 PM »

Try drifting the channel lots of Bass in there. Hang on to the little one though because the booby,s are distracting :o. and I am not talking about the fly. ;)Or just try casting for them at the mouth where the channel enters Skaha Lake. A gold Blue fox spinner and dew worm work great.