Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crabbing anyone??  (Read 17379 times)

robj

Crabbing anyone??
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:26:47 PM »

Hello,

Want to try crabbing.  My wife says if I don't use my boat it has to go.  Anyone have any pointers as to where to go?  Never done it before but would like to try it.

Thanx and have a great day,

Rob.

Nutterbug

Re: Crabbing anyone??
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:28:58 PM »

Forget crabbing from land without a boat, except in mid-winter.

All the legal size males have retreated into deeper waters.

doja

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »

Hello,

Want to try crabbing.  My wife says if I don't use my boat it has to go.  Anyone have any pointers as to where to go?  Never done it before but would like to try it.

Thanx and have a great day,

Rob.

Kinda hard when no one knows where you live....  In any event it's kinda hard not to catch crabs as they are every where!

robj

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:01:13 PM »

Sorry guys, I live in Richmond.  And yes I do have a boat so going out to get them is not an issue.  Just don't know where to go.

doja

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 09:13:41 PM »

80' of water is deep enough to find'em. My rope is 100' and I don't like changing knots so I stick with about 80'~ deapth. Make sure to leave enough slack in line for incoming tide rise but not too much as it creates a hazard!

So in short go to the ocean and find 80' deep water. If you still don't have a good idea just look where other people are dropping them.

robj

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:59:33 PM »

Thanx guys.  What about around Tswassen?  Rather not go to Spanish Banks, a little far.  How long do you leave it?

doja

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:55:12 PM »

leave it for 1hr - 12hr... Depends on what you are doing. I usually drop and go fish and check back about 4-6 hrs later but some times it is pretty full when I check back.

I've heard story's about crabbing near the ferries and that is somewhere I would not go... Don't mean it's true but there are a million other spots around.

If you have a boat, I'm going to assume you have a motor... use it and go explore! that's what a boat is for...

gman

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 09:30:37 PM »

If you go ou the Fraser from Richmond you will see lots of crab traps out at mouth. Can get rought out there - not sure what your boat is like.

Also could try launching at Crescent Beach and going to the Mud Bay/Whiterock areas.

If you go out to any of the areas near VAncouver you will see lots of crab traps already there. Just try oin some ofhtese areas. You will get crabs, just a question of how many legal ones.

noxcape

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 10:07:52 PM »

can you catch crabs at white rock peer or in port moddy cant remember then name of the park there at this time of year the gf wants to go but i dont know much about it thanks for the info also guys

doja

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »

can you catch crabs at white rock peer or in port moddy cant remember then name of the park there at this time of year the gf wants to go but i dont know much about it thanks for the info also guys

Pretty sure you can get them at white rock pier as it is out past the mud flats... And belcarra pier (port moody) is also another spot you can get'em.

But make sure you play by the rules as the local cops in belcarra like to catch crabbers not playing by the rules. He even has a caliper to check!!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:47:50 AM by doja »

noxcape

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »

dont mean to hijack this thread but what do i need for a fishing liscence and does everyone with us need one we are going to ahve only one trap

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »

Just basic tidal water fishing license would do.  Whoever's going to be taking care of the trap needs fishing license.

gcal

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »

For Belcarra, the baits that work best are:

1) Chicken pieces, with the skin on.   The fats really attract the crabs.

2) Salmon heads and parts.   

Just watch out for the seals, they will steal your bait.    Also, there are large starfish that can envelop your bait.   I usually use a 15min soak time.

I use the cheap clamshell casting traps.  They work really well!  They cost around $15-20

http://chetcomarine.com/ProductImages/fishinggear/P1010009.JPG

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »

Try a can of miss miew cat food, and i know this sounds gross but in Indian arm the crabs like where the sewage pipes come out ;)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 02:04:42 PM »

and where is that?