Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crabbing anyone??  (Read 17380 times)

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
Re: Crabbing anyone??
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 02:39:39 PM »

You can get there from Kates park in north wan or from deep cove

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 11:11:05 PM »

Sorry I wasn't clear.  Where's the sewage pipe located?

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 04:40:39 PM »

About the seals in Belcarra, they are like residents over there now. Just too much food/bait in the water daily so they don't want to hunt for foods some where else. Need to use a metal cage to hold your baits, otherwise it is more like a seal-feeding trip than a crabbing trip. LOL.  ;D

ssd0904

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 03:18:19 PM »

Not many crabs but MANY crabbers. Like 30 people all around the deck throwing. And i saw likse 2 people catch 2 crab OUT ON A BOAT. So not many crabs in Belcarra, but with boat, i guess you can catch some. You only need license for who's taking care of the crab trap and handling and stuff.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 04:17:16 PM »

Not many crabs but MANY crabbers. Like 30 people all around the deck throwing. And i saw likse 2 people catch 2 crab OUT ON A BOAT. So not many crabs in Belcarra, but with boat, i guess you can catch some. You only need license for who's taking care of the crab trap and handling and stuff.
Belcarra is a nightmare on the weekends. I won't go unless it's a weekday or very early tide so I can go early enough. If you have a boat there is good crabbing near the thermal pump station around the bend.

Also you can fish 2 traps per tidal licence

243Pete

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »

About the seals in Belcarra, they are like residents over there now. Just too much food/bait in the water daily so they don't want to hunt for foods some where else. Need to use a metal cage to hold your baits, otherwise it is more like a seal-feeding trip than a crabbing trip. LOL.  ;D

Last week when I was down at Jericho pier I watched two seals play around with the those folding crab traps, they'd randomly pick up a trap and move it somewhere or chew on the bait.

Question about crab fishing off of docks, would a large square trap be alright for crabbing off of a small dock like at Belcarra?

gcal

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 05:32:02 PM »

Many people at Belcarra do use those large square traps.   You can leave those traps to soak for a lot longer, since once the crabs get into the trap, they can't get out.   These traps also give you protection against the seals.

Last week when I was down at Jericho pier I watched two seals play around with the those folding crab traps, they'd randomly pick up a trap and move it somewhere or chew on the bait.

Question about crab fishing off of docks, would a large square trap be alright for crabbing off of a small dock like at Belcarra?

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 05:38:44 PM »

Some people use the square traps too there. Better protection of the bait from the hungry seals. But you can't cast far out enough and the crabs get to the foldable ones first. So make your choice.  ;D

243Pete

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 05:57:15 PM »

Some people use the square traps too there. Better protection of the bait from the hungry seals. But you can't cast far out enough and the crabs get to the foldable ones first. So make your choice.  ;D

Many people at Belcarra do use those large square traps.   You can leave those traps to soak for a lot longer, since once the crabs get into the trap, they can't get out.   These traps also give you protection against the seals.

Thank you!  ;D A friend has one of those folding ones but I'll buy the larger square trap and maybe float it out over deeper water. As for the seals I talked to buddy for a bit... guess I'll fab up some steel bait cages with protection. (metal points but not razor sharp ones) To help keep those pesky seals away.

andychan

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 07:02:10 AM »

anyone use catfood tins as bait?

Bill

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 07:51:35 AM »

anyone use catfood tins as bait?

I use canned tuna once in a while, once I start catching fish I switch to fish heads.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 10:20:48 AM »

You can't escape the seals there..if you see you line moving around pull it in to protect your gear. Unfortunately you just have to pay attention to your line.

The square traps work but not very well off the dock. You'll have better success taking it out on a boat to drop off further out

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 12:31:34 PM »

You can't escape the seals there..if you see you line moving around pull it in to protect your gear.

Just use chicken as bait, the seals leave it alone and the crabs still go for it.

kmishn

• need to get away.. fishing
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 01:43:24 AM »

cats meow gross.

any other spots? what about up the sea to sky?
loving life and hoping to catch something

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 09:20:38 AM »

I just tie on a fish head or the body after filleting to some fishing line and chuck it out.When it starts walking away I just gentley pull it in ;DI have had double header crabs as well as a seal ;D