Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Help Required  (Read 6285 times)

sassygrams

Fishing Help Required
« on: April 15, 2010, 01:42:32 PM »

I have been on this forum for a few years now, although I've never been very active....  I had moved to Kelowna a few years ago after getting to know a few of you on this forum and having great opportunities to be a part of the fishing clean up at the Vedder and a couple really nice fishing trips. 

I would truly love to re-learn what I have most likely forgot as I am planning a fishing trip hopefully at the end of April 2010.  I need to get back out there, but things change, I don't know the spots anymore - I would really appreciate some help with locations.

As well, I have a bit more equipment than last year - but don't really know if they will be any good out in Vancouver.  I've bought a little round belly boat, flippers and waders - I  have a level wind reel but it winds with the right hand, and I think I need mine for the left hand (i hold with my right)...  I have a fly rod but I use for trout - don't know if I can use it for Salmon.  I have lots of tackle (i think it's lots), I know I have 3 other rods in storage in N. Van but I can't tell you what they are.

So - what I am asking for is help - on where to go, when, if what i have is sufficient, and if not - what should i buy?  If someone wants to join me, show me places again that would be awesome.  I know I used to know a few good places at the Vedder and Chillawack but that was before all those floods..... Anyone interested?  Send me a message or reply to this thread.    I would greatly appreciate positive responses only.  It is hard for me to ask for help, and I'm actually making an effort as I truly miss fishing in Vancouver.  thank you for your time.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Fishing Help Required
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »

Their wont be any salmon fishing until mid summer.

Being in Kelowna your in the best spot right now. All the lakes are icing off and the trout fishing is getting going. Most of us will be heading your way getting out of the city to enjoy all that your area has to offer during this time of year.

If your coming down here a few things to know. The Vedder remains open until the end of the month and is completely closed above the Vedder Crossing for May & June. Below the crossing starting May 1st its fly fishing only. The river is completely closed all of June top to bottom

The local lakes have all been stocked but they are only 10-12 inchers. The fish in your area laugh at the fish down here. Their are many opportunities for cutthroat fishing in the Fraser & Fraser tributaries but also check your regulations for each river. Some have some closures as of May 1st.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

sassygrams

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:50:47 PM »

OK - since I'm in the right area for right now, and I do fly fish - where would you suggest going?  I go to Dee Lake (way too cold yet), Brown Lake (brrrr) and I forget the name of the one I went up on the Coq. 

All I know is the sun is shining and I seriously need to get out on the water - just don't know where everyone talks about that is good :) 

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:57:50 PM »

Tunkwa should be coming off any day now so in a week or so it will be completely ready to fish. Richard ( bushman on the forum ) is the caretaker. Its a great lake for families and everyone else. Its an easy lake to figure out. Also at the resort just buy some flies from him as he has the flies that will get you into some fish.

Here is their website

http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com/

When up there pick Richards brain for some other lakes in the area. He will lead you in the right direction.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

sassygrams

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:58:43 PM »

Thank you, I will do just that. 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:02:48 PM »

Thank you, I will do just that. 

Let us know how you do. I sure hope you have an excellent time.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »

Hey Louise, so are you thinking about doing your fishing trip(s) down around Vancouver in the end of April or prefer to stay in the interior?

For around Vancouver, river fishing is just coming to an end. Vedder River will still be good for steelhead fishing but it becomes flyfishing only on May 1st and half of the river is closed. Squamish River and tributaries are also worth trying as steelhead fishing tends to be better in early spring there, but it depends on freshet.

For late April, I usually head up to Alta Lake near Whistler (in fact, first trip will happen sometimes next week :) ) and target rainbow and cutthroat trout. Rainbow trout in that lake are not very big but they surely fight much harder than stocked fish around Vancouver. Cutthroat trout get much bigger, up to 20in at times. It's catch and release only and there is a bait ban. You can use a belly boat in there if you want, but the water is pretty cold.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=17811.0

If you are staying around Okanagan, Tunkwa Provincial park is definitely a good option. With the belly boat, I'd fish Leighton (a smaller lake right beside it) instead of Tunkwa due to the size difference. It gets awfully windy on most days (and cold!) in spring.

Since you are in Kelowna, you should head into Trout Waters Fly and Tackle for more information on lake fishing in the area. Talk to Nick and he'll help you out.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 07:35:57 PM »

Have to agree with staying and exploring in the Kelowna area. The people at Trout Waters can point you iin the right direction as to which lakes are producing and what you should use. Also if you go across the bridge to Westbank, there is Shannon Lake and you can catch trout and I believe Bass in that lake. Further down the road towards Oyama you just need to venture up some of the logging and forest service roads, to get up into the hundreds of lakes that are up there. I mean you could hit Oyama Lake, Streak Lake, Dee Lake Chain, Doreen Lake, Haddo, Aberdeen and the list goes on and on,  as to the many lakes you could fish. Believe me if you are into  flyfishing for rainbow trout,  you are in a great location.

sassygrams

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 08:34:01 AM »

I've been to Trout Waters Fly & Tackle as I buy all my stuff there now - and they are very good and helpful.  I try not to ask too much in there though because I start feeling like a bother.  I know there are great lakes here to fish, but for the most part I either don't know how to get there, and believe it or not, people don't share all their little secrets of where to go, and when is the best time.  I do my best with asking, and maps, and just looking on the forums - maybe my navigation skills need to improve because I can't find alot of these spots.  Dee Lake and the Chain up there I have fished for years now - this year I would like to go where other people do and maybe catch something bigger than a little fry :)

I have emailed Tunkwa, although I will try to find Leighton - For the end of April I was thinking of a fishing trip to Vancouver so maybe I will see if I can find this Alta Lake near Whistler.  Rodney, would you be able to help me with what I would use?  Is it is really big lake?  I only have a belly boat (which I am thinking of upgrading this year to a Fish Cat) so I get a little nervous in it if the lake is really big and no body else is around....  I  have my waders, I think 3 ml, would they keep me warm enough?  My fly rod now is a 5-6wt, with float line on  it - so should I buy another reel for sinking line for that lake?  See, this is stuff I don't know - I have lots of flies, a good variety I think.... 

Steelhead fishing I have only gone once and that was with some fellows on here - I have never caught one but would love to.  I only catch and release - I don't keep anything I get.  (maybe a nice coho, their my favorite, once every other year)  I don't think I have the gear for Steelhead fishing - another type I would love to fish for.  I really enjoyed the Vedder when I was there, I went all the time.  I would like to try to plan something for the 22nd weekend in April -
Thank you for everyones advice.  I know Okanagan area is good to fish, but I have to come to Vancouver anyways that weekend so I am trying to get some fishing in while I am there.  I most definitely need to learn where to fish in Kelowna better.  I have maps but unless you know where you are going on those dirt roads sometimes not so easy to find.

I do appreciate all the help.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:10:22 PM »

Which weekend will you be down here? We just might be up there too because we usually go up around the last few days of April/first few days of May.

It is a fairly big lake, but it is manageable with the float tube. Most of the fishing that we do is not too far from shore/boat launch (100m, 200m away, 4/500m the most).

I usually have two fly setup for the lake. One with a floating line that I rig up with an indicator. The other is with a sinking tip. Most of the flies that we use are always the same, the ones that produce anyways, small leech patterns, size 8 to 12, in black, brown, olive, or a combination of two colours. I just have it suspend under the indicator sometimes, let it drift around with the wind, it seems to work. :) With the sink tip, I am either casting and stripping or just slowly trolling with the boat. For casting and stripping, or indicator fishing, I am usually anchoring just 50, 100 ft from shore and cast toward the shoreline.

With the waders etc, I can't comment too much on that since I've never tried it. :) the cold comment earlier is from watching my friend Shane sitting in a pontoon and dipping his feet in the water. He was complaining how cold the water was afterward while the rest of us who were in boats were almost getting heat strokes that day. Bit of a wimp if you ask me. ;D

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10449.0

The other person who I've seen in a float tube is Tex on the forum, he didn't seem to complain when I cruised by him at the lake two years ago. I'll email him to see if he can comment on this.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 11:27:01 PM »

The neos will be ok just make sure to wear some wool socks as well. Its the feet that usually get cold in sub 50 degree water.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 07:47:53 AM »

Hey!  Tex here, and as Rodney said I spent the first 15 years of my fishing life in a float tube exclusively.  :)

Your waders are a touch thinner than mine, but the key is what you wear under them.  Be sure to layer properly...  by that I mean don't just wear cotton socks and a pair of sweat pants - you'll freeze if you do.  lol

Here's what I wear, and I fish out of big lakes for hours doing so:

Feet - I wear two pairs of socks... one thinner wool pair, then a bigger pair of synthetic wool-type of socks over top.  Don't wear cotton... if your feet get wet at all (sweat, condensation, etc), cotton will make your feet feel very cold very quick.  Also be sure not to have anything over your feet too tight (socks, flippers, etc).  This will cut off circulation and again - cold feet!

Legs - a base layer of synthetic long underwear, and a pair of fleece pants over top.  A tip is to put on the first pair of socks, then the long underwear, then the fleece pants, and finally the 2nd pair of looser fitting socks... tuck your fleece pants carefully into the tops of the 2nd pair of socks (ie. don't bunch them - bunching leads to poor circulation!).  This will ensure that when you pull on your waders, your pants don't ride up your legs!  :)

Body - base layer long underwear undershirt.  Then I usually wear an athletic (non-cotton) tshirt over top.  Finally I'll wear a hoodie and fleece over top, or just the fleece if it's not.  Don't forget to bring a rain jacket - forgetting to do so will ensure it rains on you! lol

Fishing can be good on Alta right off the launch area.  When you get to the water (I'm assuming there is only one launch that we're talking about), there are a bunch of docks to your right hand side along the lakeshore.  I trolled a #12 olive micro-leech with a gold bead head along the shoreline, 10-40 feet off the docks, very slowly.  I caught a few fish, one of which was a cutthroat that pushed 20 inches!  A floating line can work too, but my favourite trolling line is a clear intermediate sinking line.  My preference for this type of line is Cortland's Clear Camo 444, but everyone is different and other lines are good too (Rio Aqualux, etc).

Good luck!
:D
Tex

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 06:14:15 PM »

Hey I told you to reply about float tubing, didn't tell you to give out secret spots. ;D ;D ;D Good thing you don't know what's at the other side of the lake. ;) I've found pretty good result at all the spots that Tex fished. The only thing I've done differently is that I do most of the trolling further away from shore while anchor and cast just outside the floating docks.

sassygrams

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 07:23:24 PM »

Wow - I wasn't expecting all that information - it is awesome and so much appreciated. 

I am going to Vancouver this coming weekend, and on Saturday I am thinking of taking a drive up there.  I didn't know all that stuff about what to wear underneath the waders.  The only lines I have right now are float and really fast sinking.  I will check at Trout Waters this week for another spool and intermediate sinking line, see if they have it. I will ask them to also show me how to rig my line up  ;D

Rodney - secrets safe with lil ol' me :) :)

rides bike to work

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 06:27:42 PM »

This is a funny thread Ive seen countless time when a young fisherman asks for some tips and gets told to figure it out himself or worse then a pretty lady asks the same question and the guys are spillin the beans like no tomorrow dont blame you guys though nothin wrong with good company at your favorite fishin hole.