Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's a possesion limit?  (Read 5025 times)

ssd0904

What's a possesion limit?
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:34:27 PM »

Im planning to catch some fluke(Summer Flounder) in Belcarra/White Rock this April to June. Anyways, what is a posession limit, does it mean the limit that you can hook? Like not take home, but hook and landing it. Or what does it mean? ???

PS. Do you think Paternoster (3Hook rig) would work well for Flukes?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: What's a possesion limit?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:42:58 PM »

A daily limit is the number of fish you can retain per day. In the case of salmon it's usually 4

A possession limit is the number of fish you can have in your possession. It is usually a 2 day limit. In the case of salmon it's 8

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:50:10 PM »

Possession limits typically only apply to when you are travelling. A possession limit is usually two daily quota as FA has mentioned.

To make it less confusion, here is an example. If you are travelling, you catch your daily quota of fish on the first day, have them in the freezer at your hotel. On the second day, you catch your daily quota of fish again, also have them in the freezer of your hotel room. On the third day, you cannot keep anymore fish because you already have two daily quota in your possession back at the hotel. Basically at any given time, if you have two daily quotas of fish in your possession at your hotel, RV, camp, etc, you cannot keep anymore fish. If you end up eating some of the fish, then you can keep more fish on the third day. The rule is set up to stop people from keeping 200 salmon when they go on a 50 day fishing trip across BC.

Regarding what rig to use, make sure you check the regulations on how many hooks you can use on the line. Two is usually the most.

ssd0904

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:52:32 PM »

Really? ??? Im looking at the site right now but havent seen anything about that yet. Anyways, thanks, so it the possesion limit doesnt really matter.

ssd0904

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »

Rodney, i tried to find if the hooks limit but couldnt find any, i'll keep trying, but can you try to find it for me?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 09:57:30 PM »

Really? ??? Im looking at the site right now but havent seen anything about that yet.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/law-loi/restrictions-eng.htm

Point number 6.

so it the possesion limit doesnt really matter.

IF you are not travelling.

ssd0904

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 11:13:53 PM »

OMG! Are you kidding me? I just took 1 hour to rig up a 3 hook paternoster rig -_- Not joking, full one hour straight with no breaks, my back really hurts... OMG... You've GOT TO BE joking me...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 11:15:28 PM »

Snip here, snip there, now you have three single hook rigs.

ssd0904

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 11:18:41 PM »

But they're too short  :P W/E it's easy to rig a Carolina rig so i guess i have to use that :'(

ssd0904

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »

Rodney, we're only allowed one rod like freshwater on the docks right? (Not on a boat) I couldnt see anything about that in the link you gave me. ???

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 07:48:22 PM »

Rodney, we're only allowed one rod like freshwater on the docks right? (Not on a boat) I couldnt see anything about that in the link you gave me. ???

I am just curious, are the regulations that hard to read for you? Not faulting you as for all I know you could be new to the country and have a hard time with our language. I am just asking as maybe this is something that really needs to be addressed.  I am actually really glad your asking as I have seen many immigrants fishing illegally. Maybe they just have a hard time understanding them just as you do.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

ssd0904

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »

No i speak English very well and read and write very well too. But i just couldnt find it... The regulations i see are only the things above and the regulations specified for Areas but they had nothing about it ??? But your comment was KIND OF insulting but im guessing you werent doing it on purpose ::)

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 10:25:10 PM »

I am just curious, are the regulations that hard to read for you? Not faulting you as for all I know you could be new to the country and have a hard time with our language. I am just asking as maybe this is something that really needs to be addressed.  I am actually really glad your asking as I have seen many immigrants fishing illegally. Maybe they just have a hard time understanding them just as you do.
I'm pretty sure he's a pretty young kid. I recall his intro thread or whatever.
no offence if Im wrong ssd

azafai

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 12:52:21 PM »

I am just curious, are the regulations that hard to read for you? Not faulting you as for all I know you could be new to the country and have a hard time with our language. I am just asking as maybe this is something that really needs to be addressed.  I am actually really glad your asking as I have seen many immigrants fishing illegally. Maybe they just have a hard time understanding them just as you do.

in some aspects it is written in a too confusing and too bureaucratic texts.
I don't think there is anything wrong with asking clarifying questions or similar question if someone don't have the time to go through all of that.
With impatient towards that we discourage them from doing so. 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:57:19 PM by azafai »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 01:28:50 PM »

The regulations can be a little frustrating to sort through at times, although I think comprehension skill might be a factor too?  You take something that is difficult to understand to begin with and compound it with the fact that for many people english is not their first language and you get a perfect storm of confusion :) I don't mean to belittle anyones english skills...in fact I'm blown away by people I know that have been here a few years and are reading, writing, and speaking to the level that they are.  It's amazing really.

I think you are correct in that there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions if you don't understand something, it is probably the very best thing somebody can do and it sure beats the alternative.