Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: whonnock lake  (Read 10403 times)

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
whonnock lake
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:44:28 AM »

i was wondering if it is worth trying this time of year. Also what flys should i use. thanks for the help. i also have a kayak to get around the lake.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: whonnock lake
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:52:17 PM »

You bet it is worth it. If it warms up for Sat like it is supposed to try American Coachman, Professor, or Bloodworm.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

fly fisher

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »

You bet it is worth it. If it warms up for Sat like it is supposed to try American Coachman, Professor, or Bloodworm.
so anything with red in it.

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »

I've had pretty good success using a black Wooly Worm (red tag tail) on a floating line. Just cast to the weeds and slowly retrieve your fly as it begins its descent. A Carrie Special or Halfback works wonders in that lake as well....

Good-luck!
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:01:53 PM »

so anything with red in it.

The Professor and American Coachman are primarily yellow. For reasons I have yet to figure out, early season on that lake it is combinations of yellow and red, but to make things confusing, I have not found Mickey Finn very productive for anything but the Crappies (nice table fish if you are not afflicted with the trout only prejudice).

Once things warm up some more Tom Thumb, Royal Coachman (dry), and Double Hackled Peacock, will be the ticket.

fly fisher

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:31:47 PM »

The Professor and American Coachman are primarily yellow. For reasons I have yet to figure out, early season on that lake it is combinations of yellow and red, but to make things confusing, I have not found Mickey Finn very productive for anything but the Crappies (nice table fish if you are not afflicted with the trout only prejudice).

Once things warm up some more Tom Thumb, Royal Coachman (dry), and Double Hackled Peacock, will be the ticket.
what about the pumpkinhead

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:45:34 PM »

Give it a try. Personally I am not a fan of patterns that have less than a twenty year track record of success. There are exception of course, but in most cases you can't go wrong with what history has proven. . Not following my own advice put me in at last place in the Canadian Nationals last Sept.

jimmywits

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 11:37:29 AM »

Pumpkin heads were deadly last year in the local lakes!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 12:52:41 PM »

Yes last year. What about this year? Our local lakes have been producing for a month and a half and have yet to hear a word about Pumpkin Heads. What is a Pumpkin head anyway? In my analysis I would say it is a modified Woolly Bugger or Woolly Worm with an orange bead for a head. Which speaks to me of an egg sucking leach, orange being more visible in murky water. Okay Whonnock tends to be murky, so lets get some reports.

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 03:38:14 PM »

what about the pumpkinhead

That's a great pattern, and has produced many rainbow and cutthroat trout for me in our local lakes (very effective in Rolley Lake!). I also use the red bead version, but the orange bead seems to work best.

Try tying the Pumpkinhead with a 1/8 inch, fluorescent orange bead if you want to make it five times more effective. It's absolutely deadly...

Cheers,
Todd

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 03:42:01 PM »

Give it a try. Personally I am not a fan of patterns that have less than a twenty year track record of success. There are exception of course, but in most cases you can't go wrong with what history has proven. . Not following my own advice put me in at last place in the Canadian Nationals last Sept.

Hate to admit it Jeff, but I caught several fish in Summit Lake and Loon Lake with the Pumpkinhead, at times when nothing else seemed to work...

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 07:03:57 PM »

That is okay Todd, the Pumpkin Head was not in the box of ten flies our team captian insisted we use without exeption. My inside info on Summit told me slim bodied leach patterns are the ticket; fits the Pumpkin Head. Thanks for the tip on Rolley.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 05:54:21 PM »

I've moved the Whonnock report from today to the fishing reports section.

daver

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 06:55:21 PM »

pumpkinheads were my fly of choice last fall in the interior, i got 19 fish out of calling  basically on the same fly. got a nice 4lber out of big ok on the same fly. definitley a fly to have in the arsenal.

Min

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 05:44:48 PM »

Wanted to get there this weekend, didn't get there.

If the weather is OK next weekend, I will be out there.  Small white boat, come by and say hello.