Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, March 3rd 2010  (Read 5648 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Vedder Springs
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 05:31:08 PM »

Here's a couple of pics of Vedder springs caught in the last couple of weeks. Donated by penn and Yoda.

Feel free to add your own to the collection....

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

yoda

Re: Chilliwack River, March 3rd 2010
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 06:19:03 PM »

thanks for the good job of editing, too bad my children didn't teach me all these tricks before they moved out! i need the step by step method. i think that these are resident chinooks. should have taken a scale sample up to the hatchery. will do that next time a scale falls off.

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »

oh my god :o
they are beautiful! rather catch a spring then a steelhead now  :D
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 07:47:07 PM »

I have gotten whites like that in the Vedder before  ;) in late August/early September.

that second pic is the cleanest spring i have seen out of saltwater, very nice  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »

I think EveryDay is right, and maybe Dave might have some additional information.  There is a very early run of Vedder springs that come in and my understanding is that these are native fish that are now so few and far in between. 

mykisscrazy

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »

TNT if you have any information that the Chinook in the Chilliwack/Vedder now ...are not native but are strays from the Lillooet please share!
From what I have heard there is indeed a small remnant native population of "spring" Chinook in the Chilliwack/Vedder.  I imagine they go straight to the lake where they would hold below the thermocline  and wait until they are ready to spawn later on. 
One more issue for Fishery Managers to mull over....

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 10:14:52 PM »

ya i have heard that these winter springs are in the 50 or less fish run size  :'( :'( I have yet to see one with my own eyes (in person) but these pics are great  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »

Buck would be the best person to answer this as he has the information. The discussion on the winter chinook in the Chilliwack River was discussed a few years ago when all parties agreed that a permanent retention closure should be in place until the river reopens in July, but I've deleted those emails already so can't remember the exact information that was provided by the hatchery.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 12:22:18 PM »

Back in the 60’s, early 70’s we used to start fishing the Chilliwack for it’s indigenous chinooks as soon as the freshet was over, usually mid June.  Even then these fish were not plentiful but because so few anglers targeted them we were always able to hook a few each year.  Landing these fish was another story however as they were extremely powerful and they liked to hold in water just above rapids, ie. Tamihi, Boulder Hole.   
The largest I  landed was only about 16 pounds but I saw many fish lost that were in the mid 20’s and one monster in the Boulder Hole that was a good 35.  Interestingly, these fish we caught in June and July and even into August were never silver bright like the 2 pictured … they were a dull pewter colour.   Remember, back then most of the die hard local Chilliwack anglers stopped fishing in March, mainly because they were loggers and went back to work.  As there was so little angling pressure during March and April it is possible these Chinooks did come in to the Chilliwack much earlier.  Along with these chinooks there was a fabulous run of char – we called them Dolly Varden and maybe they were as they were silver bright and red fleshed … and tremendous table fare.  Largest of these I saw was about 8 pounds with the average about 3-4 lbs.

Now, this indigenous Chinook stock is almost gone but a few do remain.  The Chilliwack hatchery people make an effort to capture these few fish for broodstock, and have spawned a few over the years but finding and capturing them is difficult and not cost effective.  They tend to spawn about a month later than the transplanted summer reds now in the system, meaning their progeny  emerge later ( when water temperatures are warmer and food is more plentiful) than those of the transplants.  That extra month is probably the reason the transplants will never become self sustaining. 

It’s a shame the DFO - SEP officials at the time didn’t do their homework on this issue and enhance the stock that was specifically adapted to the Chilliwack River, rather than a hodge podge of up country stocks.

penn

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »

The first spring of those two is equally a shiny as the second , there is one more photo of that one laying on it's side in the water looking just as brilliant . Just don't have technical ability of attaching photos on this forum .

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »

To attach/post photos on the forum is quite simple. Go to www.photobucket.com and sign up for an account. Once you are signed up, upload your photo(s) to your account. Once the photos are uploaded, each photo will have codes that you can select below it. Select and copy the IMG code and include the code in your post. Once that's done, the photo will show up in your post.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 08:53:18 PM »

To attach/post photos on the forum is quite simple. Go to www.photobucket.com and sign up for an account. Once you are signed up, upload your photo(s) to your account. Once the photos are uploaded, each photo will have codes that you can select below it. Select and copy the IMG code and include the code in your post. Once that's done, the photo will show up in your post.
??? ::) ;D

By the way, beautiful fish.

tnt

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 03:22:49 PM »

Let me guess both these fish were caught well below the crossing? typically just up fom the canal, the farthest up I have seen them is peach rd.... you would think with all the prime holding water up river that they would be caught further up if these were residing fish....I will bet you could put a tag in that fish and it will end up in the Lilly....Just my 2 cents tho....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

penn

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »

Here's another shot of that same fish .

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 09:16:44 PM »

Beauties! Nice catches gents.