Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, March 3rd 2010  (Read 5646 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, March 3rd 2010
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:08:47 PM »

Decided to head up to Chilliwack after a half day downtown Vancouver dealing with my financial advisor duties.

Got to the river around 1:30pm. Fished for a couple hours without any actions but I heard of three fish hooked under the KWB.

I then went further down a bit and saw a guy hooked into a hatchery fish.

At around 4:30pm, someone hooked into a big fish and he fought it for a while and they saw the adipose fin but..... No. it is not steelhead, it is a SPRING!!!!! of about 20lb. ???????

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 08:36:40 PM by CohoMan »

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, March 3rd 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »

Never seen them before?
I have hooked 2 winter springs in the Vedder and man are they ever a hoot.
Notice the signs up all along the dike telling diff between a Steely and a spring, it's because the Vedder has a small winter run of chinook.
I sure hope he didnt kill it, man are they ever a nice looking fish  8)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:27:20 PM »

That's down right wacky, but with this El niņo this year, who knows.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 08:34:14 PM »

It was released quickly.

Jace

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:18:43 PM »

Sounds awsome, im going to head down for first light on Friday.......Fingers crossed  ;D

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:20:31 AM »

I was there in the morning, was raining the entire time I was there...Had to leave early around noon unfortunately.
Saw the same 3 guys planted under the KWB since 6am when I left.
Upper river was really clear, but didn't see any fish in the water and didnt hear of any action from the other anglers up there.

tnt

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 05:17:51 AM »

those springs are destined for the lilloett river, the vedder does not have a winter run of springs :-X....they are there once in a while but they are not native to the vedder.. Everyday I would love to see the pics of the two you got on the vedder.... as you know seeing is believing....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 10:00:31 AM »

About the same time in March about 15 years ago while on a group fish with 6 buddies, one of the guys caught a red spring. We were at a run near Peach rd and everyone on the run thought it was a monster steelie, it jumped twice and fought just like a steelie. Only until it was beached and we saw the tell tail black gums that it was a spring. What a gorgeous fish it was.
It ain't the roe bro'

yoda

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 01:42:14 PM »

trust me, i have pics of the 20+lb, unfortunately he didn'  want to be famous, so i'm mailing him the pic. i also have pics of another one about 15lbs. i'll see if i can get only the fish on the pictures if possible. good that they closed the fishery, probably would have been a few steely's bonked with the excuse that they thought it was a chinnook ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 02:59:23 PM »

Over the years I have caught two chinooks at this time of year in the Vedder. My son also landed one a few years ago

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 05:08:30 PM »

this might be a dumb question but here it goes. If a winter chinook is in the vedder in march and there are very very few of them. What are they doing there?do the wait till june or july for the rest of the team to spawn or do they spawn amongst the steelhead? Is that even possible?to have a steelhead and Chinook cross?

penn

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 09:21:36 PM »

Was thinkin of posting the pic of my chinook that I caught last week , but for some reason the picture won't attache to the post.

tnt

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 06:31:14 AM »

this might be a dumb question but here it goes. If a winter chinook is in the vedder in march and there are very very few of them. What are they doing there?do the wait till june or july for the rest of the team to spawn or do they spawn amongst the steelhead? Is that even possible?to have a steelhead and Chinook cross?

they are lilloett fish not vedder fish, they always stray off for a few days but they are not spawning or returning to the vedder.... but it does look like its time to hit the lilly....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 07:53:35 AM »

Hi tnt
Just curious why you are confident these are Lilloooet River bound chinooks?  Perhaps you have submitted DNA samples??

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 02:28:41 PM »

Everyday I would love to see the pics of the two you got on the vedder.... as you know seeing is believing....

Never use to carry a camera with me... that's a new toy I got the last 2 years of fishing.
And really, even if I did have pics I probably wouldn't post them anyways, I don't need to prove myself to anyone, I was simply stating that there are indeed a few kicking around in the Vedder and it is not a one time thing. When you (use to) fish on a river 300+ days a year and almost every day during Steelhead season (especially March and April) you are bound to hit something out of the ordinary.

I have seen these things caught as high as Wilson Road (one of my friends helped tail one at tamahi).. kinda weird to think that they would go that high and then turn around (although I know Cultus Sockeye do this so who knows). I'm still fairly sure that there is a small run of these things native to the river, kinda like the small run of chromer December chum. Might be time to do a little research...