Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cabin Rental suggestions??  (Read 10410 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Cabin Rental suggestions??
« on: January 05, 2010, 08:12:58 PM »

I've got a week to book a cabin either last week of July or first week of august..... I need suggestions of places you've been and would recommend (last year I got ripped off in a big way, not at ALL what was advertised!).

I am looking for somewhere that is waterfront, preferably a warmer type lake as this is a family vacation, so 9 year old and 15 year old want to swim and suntan...... could be the ocean too.... something within a 4 or 5 hour trip from the lower mainland with half decent fishing from shore or canoe that will sleep 4 and have amenities to keep wife happy (ie full bath, kitchen etc of course hot tub and luxuries would earn me bonus points, but has to be within the budget!). 

Due to the terrible time last year, the Shushwap is definitely out!  Also, I'd rather not go too far North - we did Canim lake a couple years ago which was awesome but the water in the northern lakes is too cold for kiddies to swim all day in!  We're thinking on an Island or Okanogan type area.  the budget for the cabin is max max $1500 for the week.  There IS a chance that we will bring another couple and their two kids, then we'd be looking more in the $2500 for the week IF that were to happen.

If anybody knows of anywhere (or has anything to rent for a good deal  ;)  ;) ) Post, PM or email scouterjames at gmail dot com

thanks!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Fisherama

Re: Cabin Rental suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:59:56 PM »

Hi Scouter,

Have you ever been to St. Mary's Lake on Saltspring Island?  I know that there are quite of few people on this site that frequent that spot in the summer and probably have great things to add as well.  There are numerous cabin/cottage resorts around the lake and most of them have docks and complementary canoes/kayaks.  I have personally stayed at saltspring cottage resort http://www.saltspringcottageresort.com/ and found their accommodations/hospitality to be outstanding.  I think that fishingwithrod members might also have a discount with one of the cottages too but can't remember which one.

The last week of July would be prime time for bass fishing on the lake, you could expect non-stop action if that's what you were targeting.  But, the rainbow and cutthroat fishing can also be pretty spectacular.  If my childhood memory serves me right, I seem to remember seeing someone pulling a small steelhead out of there once too.  Since it's a pretty small island you can drive a short ways  and do some ocean fishing as well.

Ganges is a pretty cool little town, very artsy, and only about 5-10 min drive from the lake.  The shopping will keep the wives busy :D ;), especially the sunday market, a must see.
Hope this helps.

F

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 02:13:56 AM »

Last week of July and first week of August is getting a bit late for St Mary Lake on Salt Spring Island. From our past experiences, we've found that fishing peaks by late June and early July for smallmouth bass, then the lake becomes just a bit too warm and most of the fish would be small by that point.

There are several family cabin resorts along the shorelines of St Mary Lake. We usually stay at Lakeside Gardens Resort, since it is a site advertiser and we like the little cabinas that we stay at. They are inexpensive and there is a nice private beach and floating dock for the kids. The cabinas can be a bit small, but the newer ones should be ok for parents and two kids. While we're on the subject, we may do another group trip on the forum in June this year if anyone is interested.

Why was it a bad time at Shuswap last year?

How about Tunkwa Lake Resort. The rainbow trout fishing in early August is typically good at Tunkwa and Leighton Lake. Hoof from Flybc does annual trips to Leighton with his family. Here are some photos:

http://gallery.flybc.ca/leighton09

What about rivers? Acacia Grove by the Thompson River in Spences Bridge is pretty good. The river offers good trout fishing, there are shallow places where kids can swim in.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:10:57 AM »

Check out Loon Lake outside Cache Creek, 2 places there are pretty good, Loon Lake Resort and White Moose.
Take the T out of Morton.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:58:33 AM »

--Check out  www.bcfroa.ca , that is association of mainly freshwater resort outfitters. They have information on resorts throughout the province and links to those with web sites. I find most of these are small fishing resorts. They have web search on the site by region and facilities.
--Lots of pictures of the resorts and information.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:01:08 AM by skaha »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »

We stayed at the Fawn lake resort last year for the first time and it was excellent, I had camped there before but last year was the first year we rented a cabin, the people that run it are very nice and helpful and the area is gorgeous, the fishing can be fantastic too !!
you definately have to book early though, especially if your week run through a long weekend
check it out
Rick

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

fisher man

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »

Yup fawn lake is beautiful,beautiful,beautfilul, was there last year as well. didn't camp there but will this year for sure.Probably even cabin it becouse they looked to be in pretty good shape.Also the fishing was pretty good to.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 08:48:02 PM »

If you can still get a cabin, I would suggest Johnson Lake Resort north of Kamloops.

It has a Big lake as well as the small lake that is AWSOME for sight casting for Rainbows. The Samll lake has a dock as well as a floating play dock for the kids. The resort has a great room with TV, Card games, Other board games, Pool Table + more. The owners (Barb & Jim) are AWSOME people, and the whole place is VERY family orientated.

Rick

Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

scotkemp

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 11:13:49 PM »

face lake outside of merritt the place is called mile high resort great fishing and if you got quads you can go for ever

Scooterguy

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 11:48:02 PM »

Great topic. I have been searching for this along time. We have been to qualicum beach which is OK but too much rock ( not safe for kids to walk, swim) great for oyster. Loon lake is nice but the fish is too small. There are a few more I went to but I forgot the names because I did not like it so I could easily forget :). ;D

I love the most is Savary island. It was such a beautiful place to play,swim, and a lot oyster and clams on the sand. The only thing is price and very hard to book in the summer. Not to mention the drive and 2 ferries.

If you guys know any places similar to Savary Island, will you please let me know. I will definitely try out this summer. Thanks a lot.

My wife and kids likes to get oyster and clam. I like to fish. So any place have those combinations then it is like a heaven for the family :)) ::)

Bill

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 08:06:29 AM »

I have a place on the Sunshine coast it is located in a small community called Tuwanek, there is a BB that rents cabins  on the beach. There is lots of places to explore and do the things that you mentioned but you need a boat. If this interest you and your family let me know and I will send you more info about this area.   

Scooterguy

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 10:26:21 AM »

I have a place on the Sunshine coast it is located in a small community called Tuwanek, there is a BB that rents cabins  on the beach. There is lots of places to explore and do the things that you mentioned but you need a boat. If this interest you and your family let me know and I will send you more info about this area.   

Great. will you please send info. to maximus240@hotmail.com.? I have a 12' portaboat with 3.5 hp motor.  I am not sure it can handle the current there.

I will definitely check this out once i got your info.

Thanks for sharing

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »

good fishing decent cabins, swimmable lake = watch lake ace high resorts.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

scotkemp

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 03:19:40 PM »

savary island is the way to go your wife and kids will love you, i go every year in august with my wife and its awesome never fish over there but there is a ton of crab you can get 50 yards out, oysters galore and clams galore. if you need anymore information about savary like accomodations and general info message me

scotkemp

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »

oh year i forgot to mention the very low summer tides and miles upon miles of sandy beaches