Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder questionie  (Read 2267 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Vedder questionie
« on: December 25, 2009, 01:11:33 PM »

my bro is in town from arizona for the next couple days and I wanted to take him fishing (he's not much of a fisherman the past 15 years and was never really avid about it)... question: is there anything resident in the Vedder to take him there??  I was thinking of using the trip as a scouting trip at the same time and do a little steelie hunting but he's not so much into the steelie price tag  for just 4 or 5 hours - 20 bucks for a day license is OK but another $60 for the tag on top of it just seems crazy.... otherwise we will just hit somewhere else but any time I can get out to the vedder obviouslyl....  ;D  Thoughts??

:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Vedder questionie
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »

Tell me about it, Its insane. My buddy who lived the last 20 years here and the last 2 yeras in Alberta had to pay 80 bucks to fish the Vedder for 1 DAY, last weekend. Worst part was it was his birthday, and I felt guilty for the high exspense and too cheap to pay it...

As for trout fishing the Vedder the guys at freds said you must have both a Freshwater license and a steelhead tag, even if you arnt fishing steelhead.... I personally would just buy him the freshwater license and go fishing without the steelhead tag, as you most likely will never incounter a CO, and If you got caught wouldnt end up in as much trouble I would think.

As for trout fishing the Vedder at this time of year? Its not too productive, maybe a little better then targetting steelhead right now. I find the trout are more abundant in the upper sections of the river at this time. The best places to find them are around structure, like log jams, large rocks, and slots. Fish any water that slows inbehind rocks and bolders, between the fast water and not to far out from shore, these are also very good places to find the little guys, we call this slot water.

Good luck, I hope so with the pocket your buddys gonna have to empty. ;)

The Bigger The Better!

jimmywits

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 01:54:58 PM »

I'd be very careful fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder right now without a steelhead tag. If your brother is going to target resident rainbows, whitefish or dollies/bulls use gear that would not target steelhead ie fly fish with a 3 or 4 wt, nothing heavier. The other option could be to fish another river like the Harrison or Fraser and target cutthroat. BigFisher, poor advice to tell someone to take a chance and not buy an appropriate license because they probably wouldn't encounter a CO or FO, thats the time it would happen!
totally agree!!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 02:54:44 PM »

Ok, Dont take my advice, but 80 dollars for a day of fishing just isnt right.  :-\ Especially when you see none of that money go to a better managment of our fisheries.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 02:57:09 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »

Especially when you see none of that money go to a better managment of our fisheries.

Incorrect.

http://www.gofishbc.com/whofunded.htm

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 03:08:31 PM »

Ok, Dont take my advice, but 80 dollars for a day of fishing just isnt right.  :-\ Especially when you see none of that money go to a better managment of our fisheries.

I agree $80.00 is expensive but it's nothing compare to if you get caught.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 03:45:44 PM »

Back to the original question, like other Lower Fraser tributaries, the Chilliwack River also produces cutthroat trout, rainbow trout, mountain whitefish, bull trout, largescaled sucker in the winter months. If you wish to have your brother tag along during your scouting trip, he can just arm himself with a light spinning rod or flyfishing rod to target these species. The same type of fishing can also be done at other systems, eg. Chehalis, Stave, Squamish. As long as he is using an outfit that is clearly not suitable for steelhead while fishing any of these systems, then he does not have to worry about not purchasing steelhead conservation surcharge.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 03:47:25 PM by Rodney »