Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why The West Coast Salmon Are In Trouble  (Read 3913 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Why The West Coast Salmon Are In Trouble
« on: December 18, 2009, 06:51:11 AM »

“Maybe the salmon will return a year later,” Shea(Fisheries Minister) said in an interview on CBC radio’s All Points West during her visit to Prince Rupert yesterday. “Nobody knows what’s happening in the marine environment.”

:o :o :o

Can we all toss a few coins in a hat towards buying this person a brain?
http://

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: Why The West Coast Salmon Are In Trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 06:56:52 AM »

Nobody knows what’s happening in the marine environment.”

Nobody really knows the current purpose of the Fisheries department either...  ;D

So Sad! :'(
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 07:16:02 AM »

“Maybe the salmon will return a year later,” Shea(Fisheries Minister) said in an interview on CBC radio’s All Points West during her visit to Prince Rupert yesterday. “Nobody knows what’s happening in the marine environment.”

more like they don't want to know, then be held responsible  ::)

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 09:05:16 AM »

“Maybe the salmon will return a year later,”

Sure, the Sockeye have evolved into a 1 year cycle now just for her.
I wonder if she's ever fished a day in her life?

There's a bit more to this conversation worth mentioning (local NDP sticking it to her):

Federal fisheries minister Gail Shea’s comments about Skeena River sockeye salmon returns show why regional management is needed, said the New Democratic Party MLA for Stikine, Doug Donaldson.

“Maybe the salmon will return a year later,” Shea said in an interview on CBC radio’s All Points West during her visit to Prince Rupert yesterday. “Nobody knows what’s happening in the marine environment.”

To suggest salmon might be a year late returning shows a lack of knowledge, said Donaldson. “That’s absolutely asinine,” he said. “It flies in the face of how the migration cycle works with sockeye.”

The fish have always returned on a four-year-cycle and are not likely to suddenly change, he said. “Evolution just doesn’t quite work that way.”

In July the Department of Fisheries and Oceans predicted Skeena sockeye returns would be average, but by December local news reports said the returns had collapsed.

The federal government has launched an inquiry into the collapse of the Fraser River sockeye run and Shea said in the CBC interview that maybe some of the recommendations will also apply to the Skeena.

Donaldson said it’s time to act on a January, 2009, report from the Pacific Salmon Forum, chaired by former fisheries minister John Fraser. It recommended considering a watershed governance model that shares decision making between provincial, federal and first nation governments.

Some equally pointed comments on a few websites regarding her comments: http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/BC-Politics/2009/12/15/SockeyeShea/

Wasn't it just over a year ago that Gail Shea got the Fisheries Portfolio? Didn't all the pundits and all the wise and thoughtful people say that she was the best person for the position? Now we find out that she's a 'stupid fencepost' with hair.

The only thing I see evolving here is Gail Shae's regression into the precambrian era. What an absolute fool this woman is.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 09:28:53 AM »

--I think it should read: the federal government was forced to initiate an inquiry.
--Thanks to the many individuals and organizations that wrote to their MLA's.

--I wonder what the fisheries Biologists will say if they are allowed to speak!!
--Will former fisheries Biologists be given a chance to enlighten us as well

--I don't care to attach blame I want a list of what is within our control and what we are going to do about it.

--It seems to me the only solutions ever given are to close the recreational fishery and seek better monitoring of stock numbers.

Nitroholic

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:44:18 PM »

absolutely appalling  ::)