Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson River, December 5th & 6th 2009: Another successful steelheading trip  (Read 6353 times)

drh

Awesome report and photos to match,I really appreciate the way everyone is playing nice on this one cause it's likely ruffling a few feathers having a detailed report on such a secret river ::).My point is we're all like minded salmon trout steelhead fishermen and women here ,who care about preserving our fisheries first and foremost.I'm sure no one from this site is going to decimate the Thompson fishery or any other for that matter, if the powers that be were concerned about us sporties catching and releasing the odd steely they'd close it plain and simple and as Sterling pointed out only dedicated die hards are willing to brave those conditions.Again great report and keep e'm coming

mastercaster

• Old Timer

Could you explain to me how or why you think the T is a secret River?  How can the second largest river within 2 1/2 hours of the lower mainland be a secret?  It's only had about 50 articles written about it in the last decade alone.  And it's not like it's an easy river!  Guys have to pay their dues to learn where the fish live in order to catch them unless they've been lucky enough to have them shown those spots.  I guarantee it's not like you can just waltz in there and get fish.  In fact, I've talked to bait guys who have had as many as a dozen days on the river without a fish and they are good rods on their home rivers.  The T is a different kettle of fish....guys who have fished it for a one or more decades know what I'm talking about.

dennyman

• Old Timer

Congrats on the fishing success and great pics.
And to add my two cents worth.
This is a river system that needs more friends. To me keeping it a secret helps no one. As people we are only around for a short period of time, but if we can pass on values and traditions that to me is invaluable. By injecting more money, new ideas I personally think that it is a small step in the right direction for this fishery. Because if it keeps losing ground as it has done so over the past few years, the only Steelhead future generations of anglers will be seeing on the Thompson River will be in dusty old photographs in some  old picture album.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:31:23 PM by dennyman »

drh

You're right mastercaster,secret was a poor word choice,but I couldn't come up with a better one at the moment I wrote it.Dennyman made a better explanation of my point ,the river needs more friends

mastercaster

• Old Timer

You're right mastercaster,secret was a poor word choice,but I couldn't come up with a better one at the moment I wrote it.Dennyman made a better explanation of my point ,the river needs more friends

So right!  Otherwise don't be overly surprised if the Thompson steelhead go the way of the dinosaur.

lucky

• Old Timer

So right!  Otherwise don't be overly surprised if the Thompson steelhead go the way of the dinosaur.

How is having more anglers on the river sore mouthing the few remaining wild fish going to help anything? It is my understanding that the biggest problem steelhead face is ocean survival and lets face it there isnt a whole lot we can do about that by standing on the river bank. Not trying to derail this thread but I would like to dispel the myth that more people on a river is always a good thing.

dennyman

• Old Timer

Lucky, it is my understanding that Steelhead fall under provincial jurisdiction. If you were to ask the Minister of Environment, what studies they have done recently and to provide the reference material I am willing to bet it would be a big fat zero. The catch all answer that the Steelhead may be declining due to poor ocean survival rate sounds good to the media but really accomplishes nothing. At this point,  if  the provincial governments long range plan is to basically estimate how many Steelhead make it back to the Thompson River each year and that is it, then the outlook for Steelhead on this river is not good. To me the only way this fish stands a chance is for the fishermen to voice their concerns. It seems the only way for anything to get done in this province is to bitch and moan at the top of your voice, after all how does that old saying go, " the squeaky wheel gets the oil". 

skaha

• Old Timer

--I've fished the Thompson since mid 60's
--Many times I've fished the river and only person I saw was my fishing partner.

--When slime started showing up on the rocks it wasn't MOE or City of Kamloops or Weyerhauser that noticed or reported the problem. It was fishers who demanded the City of Kamloops upgrade their sewage treatment.
--When runs like Deadman creek and other smaller Tribs runs showed early signs of decline it was sports fishers that first noticed and started to squawk.
--Anyone I know that fished the river.... even when it was allowed by regulation to keep steelhead, stopped immediately when they saw signs of decline.. They did not wait for regulation.
--If you want to let out secrets of the Thompson.. the resident trout and whitefish in many sections are healthy and abundant.
--The Similkameen should have much better fishery but not enough people fish it and demand action. The only action I see from MOE  is a fish count to report what we already know.
--I do not blame MOE entirely for this but the only weapon they utilize is closing recreational fisheries. When no one is on the river there are no problems reported and no action demanded.
--Keep the pictures and reports coming.

Nervo69

Went up Thompson caught 3 or 4 rainbows and a 10 pound doe a few weeks ago

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Great reports. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the success. Keep them coming.

One thing for sure, no 'meat' fisherman will show up the Thompson.
Much like the years I fished the Gold for wild steelies. No one cares much for meat to make that long and expensive trek to have a date with these magnificient game fish.  ;)

Fish in peace.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish

One thing to remember with these fish and those temps. is they shouldn't be taken out of the water...Those are minus temps and you will literally freeze the fish...not good for them...
Remember this is a C & R fishery and wild fish that need everyones help for now and the future..
Again, take your pic's, keep the fish in the water as much as possible..DONT take them out when the temps are below freezing..

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 04:52:58 PM by Rodney »

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha

no worries, the fish was only out for a split second.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

kingpin

• Old Timer

honestly its lost on me why BC hasnt long since implemented a law requiring wild fish be kept in the water...
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.