Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter Digital SLR Camera  (Read 10151 times)

prairiefire

Starter Digital SLR Camera
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:55:12 PM »

I'm thinking of jumping into the DSLR market. Just wondering if anyone could offer me any advice on what kind of camera to get. I see that Best Buy has a Canon Rebel TS-I kit with 2 lenses for $1100. Would this be a good option to start with.

Thanks in advance.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Starter Digital SLR Camera
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 02:20:48 PM »

I'm thinking of jumping into the DSLR market. Just wondering if anyone could offer me any advice on what kind of camera to get. I see that Best Buy has a Canon Rebel TS-I kit with 2 lenses for $1100. Would this be a good option to start with.

Thanks in advance.

1. What's your max budget?
2. What do you want to shoot primarily?
3. Do you know anyone that owns a camera already that you've tried?  Surprisingly the "feel" of a camera makes a big difference.

My overall advice if you're starting out: 

1) get an inexpensive camera (the one you've quoted I think is the XSi or Ti1 rather than TS-I)  The XSi is one gen older now but still a good body.  theTi1 is nice - but its only step up from the XSi is ability to shoot video.
2) get the BEST lens that you can afford with that camera body (camera bodies are like PC's - manufacturers keep coming out with newer and better versions.  Lenses LAST and LAST if you take care of them)

That's why if we know what you want to shoot, we can make camera/lens pairing suggestions for you.  (As a Canon shooter, I'll be able to make Canon suggestions...others will hopefully be able to chime in with Nikon or other manufacturers)

Cheers!

prairiefire

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:39:14 PM »

Thanks for the reply Dragonspeed. I was hoping for some advice from you as you seem fairly knowledgable on this subject.
1. Max budget is around $1000
2. Primarily kids, portraits and I guess some outdoor shots. i.e. Sunsets and city buildings...maybe some night-time too.
3. My buddy has a Nikon...not to sure what type but He's a pro photographer so it should be a pretty good one.

I like the option of shooting video on the newer Canon T1i vs the XSi. It is also a few mega pixels more. That's not the selling point though. The T1i is only $110 more at Best Buy than the XSi. The T1i kit comes with an extra lens. It is a 55-250mm IS Lens. It sells for $360 on it's own. The kit is going for $1099. That's $260 off the original price. Plus if you spend over a grand you get an additional $100 off.

here is the link. http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=BDL10001997&logon=&langid=EN

thanks for your advice

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:12:41 PM »

That is a good deal for that combo.  I have a Rebel XS and I am quite happy with it.  I think it is an excellent beginners camera but I would definately like to upgrade to a 7D one day.  The lenses will proably be good learning tools but you will want to upgrade them later if you stick with photography.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:14:40 PM by Eagleye »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 11:01:45 PM »

At $1000 it's going to to be tough to buy a really good lens.

Eagle is right - you're going to find yourself wanting to upgrade your lenses pretty soon.  That is a nice starter combo though.  Try to see if you bring in a (I think the T1i takes them) CF card and try some shots with the camera.  From what I recall the entry level Canons are lighter than the entry level Nikons, but you'll want to feel them in your hands.  Some people like lighter, some people like heavier cameras in their hands.  Feel the balance of the camera/lens in your hands.

You're going to also soon want to get a flash so that you can have more control over the light in your portrait shots.

Let us know what you get!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »

Good point about the Entry level Canons being light.  I used my friend's Nikon D90 and it felt so much more stable (less prone to camera shake) in my hands due to being much heavier.  That is one major reason why I will upgrade to a 7D eventually

prairiefire

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 12:22:16 PM »

I never did get the Best Buy Canon deal. They were sold out by the time I made up my mind. I guess that was a sign. I actually need a point and shoot anyways. My iPhone doesn't cut it. I'm gonna get a Panasonic TS 1. What do you guys thing of this camera? Does anyone have any experience with it. Thanks for your advice...again. :D

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »

I never did get the Best Buy Canon deal. They were sold out by the time I made up my mind. I guess that was a sign. I actually need a point and shoot anyways. My iPhone doesn't cut it. I'm gonna get a Panasonic TS 1. What do you guys thing of this camera? Does anyone have any experience with it. Thanks for your advice...again. :D

Here is a review on it and the camera's in it's class http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/page8.asp

bluesteele

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 02:37:09 AM »

Just my 2 cents  ;D

I picked up the D3000 and love it.  Takes awesome pictures and the price is right. I know it's like fishing rods LOL.
Compare a Sage to a TFO or a Beulah to a Fenwick. Both will do the job and with an experienced hand the lesser
will outdo the higher end gear. Cameras or rods. 

I remember 20 yrs ago casting my 4-5 wt cane rod on the Harrison killing it with the chums hos and pinks (Yeah with the cane rod)
 just bare bones and outfishing the older decked out guys.  Laughing as they followed me as I kept nailing fish after fish.

The same with the cameras I've been snapping pics, like most here I am sure, for a long time. Some of my best pics in the last 5 yrs were shot
with 4.3MP Nikon digital. Not to mention before that the old AE-1 SLR. Great pics.

If you dont mind not being able to shoot video or with a live view feature I say go with the D3000 put the difference towards a trip to the Upper Pitt
or a trip with a guide or a new rod or reel.

A more expensive rod reel camera will not make you a better fisherman or photographer.  (Not that your saying that) Just my 2 cents of advice
after taking a few trips around the block so to speak and its 230 in the morning and I dont know why the hell I am still up LoL....

Anyways got some new pics with the new cam I will post soon check em out. Just some Steveston scenery shots.

Bluesteele

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 11:47:44 PM »

I'm currently thinking of getting a new camera. The old point and shoot died after 5 years of Chan fishing  :-\

I'm shopping around right now, mainly on ebay and was wondering if its better to just buy the body and lens or if I should buy one of those kits. From what I can tell, those kits seems to come with an awful lot of stuff I probably won't want or ever need. Kinda reminds me of those prepackaged fly tying kits. Advice?
Actions speak louder than words.

andychan

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 08:45:40 AM »

1. What's your max budget?
2. What do you want to shoot primarily?
3. Do you know anyone that owns a camera already that you've tried?  Surprisingly the "feel" of a camera makes a big difference.

My overall advice if you're starting out: 

1) get an inexpensive camera (the one you've quoted I think is the XSi or Ti1 rather than TS-I)  The XSi is one gen older now but still a good body.  theTi1 is nice - but its only step up from the XSi is ability to shoot video.
2) get the BEST lens that you can afford with that camera body (camera bodies are like PC's - manufacturers keep coming out with newer and better versions.  Lenses LAST and LAST if you take care of them)

That's why if we know what you want to shoot, we can make camera/lens pairing suggestions for you.  (As a Canon shooter, I'll be able to make Canon suggestions...others will hopefully be able to chime in with Nikon or other manufacturers)

Cheers!

What do you think of the four thirds cameras by olympus and panasonic; are you paying a big premium for the small format or is it a pretty good deal overall. I LOVE the smaller size and interchangeable lenses...but a compatible t2i or d90 is similar price and arguably higher pro standard...

thoughts?

andychan

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 08:47:09 AM »

Just my 2 cents  ;D

I picked up the D3000 and love it.  Takes awesome pictures and the price is right. I know it's like fishing rods LOL.
Compare a Sage to a TFO or a Beulah to a Fenwick. Both will do the job and with an experienced hand the lesser
will outdo the higher end gear. Cameras or rods. 

I remember 20 yrs ago casting my 4-5 wt cane rod on the Harrison killing it with the chums hos and pinks (Yeah with the cane rod)
 just bare bones and outfishing the older decked out guys.  Laughing as they followed me as I kept nailing fish after fish.

The same with the cameras I've been snapping pics, like most here I am sure, for a long time. Some of my best pics in the last 5 yrs were shot
with 4.3MP Nikon digital. Not to mention before that the old AE-1 SLR. Great pics.

If you dont mind not being able to shoot video or with a live view feature I say go with the D3000 put the difference towards a trip to the Upper Pitt
or a trip with a guide or a new rod or reel.

A more expensive rod reel camera will not make you a better fisherman or photographer.  (Not that your saying that) Just my 2 cents of advice
after taking a few trips around the block so to speak and its 230 in the morning and I dont know why the hell I am still up LoL....

Anyways got some new pics with the new cam I will post soon check em out. Just some Steveston scenery shots.

Bluesteele

You are so right; the biggest thing is being able to WANT to take the camera with you and sometimes a full DSLR is just a pain to pocket.