Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Green Timbers Lake, December 3rd 2009  (Read 4651 times)

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
Green Timbers Lake, December 3rd 2009
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »

I couldn't help this nostalgic feeling as I walked to the skytrain, the bitter cold rolling in. Shortness of sunlight and being able to see you'r breath as I walk. Ah it's December again, the steelheading should be starting very soon. Recently purchased a 5wt and aching to try it out. With my fly box, and a fresh new setup, I hopped on to the skytrain and took a walk to Green Timbers. Once I got there, I felt like a millionaire as I pulled out my new 5wt TFO TiCr-x out of the sleeve and started running my line through it. After I looked around and saw about 4 people fishing, thought to myself "They where here quite early, wonder if they had any luck". The first cast was very sluggish, line collapsed about 30ft from the shore. After about 4 cast, I managed to grasp the how to of this rod. Slowly tugging in my special jewel of death, another fishermen caught my eye. A heron standing in the shallows stalking something, so I pulled out my camera and tried to take a picture but then saw my line do one of those funny thing. Pulled back and bang! Then it started peeling out my line and before my own eyes and I saw the green of my backing on my first fish with my new setup. Thought to myself, Wow! this must be a big one, so I fought it and she played hard to get. Finally brought her to shore and couldn't believe my eyes. 5lbs Rainbow! WEEEHW! Took a picture and sent her back on the search for food.

Casted about 20 times then lost my fly, Hmmmm too agressive of a cast? This time, I said hey! lets try this death machine. Tied her up and sent her into the water to get beaten up. So I let her sink, tug tug tug bang! Felt like a small one but I've been tricked. All the line I've collected was getting shorter and shorter, then the reel does it's thing. Fought and brought her in. Another big one, about the same size if not bigger. Quickly snapped a photo and sent her to join her friends.

After I called it a day around 11:00am. Packed up and headed home. What a great day, quite the fun day at a fun lake.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:49:07 PM by Fishin_Squirrel10-4 »
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Green Timbers Lake, December 3rd 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 04:34:11 PM »

I hope you read the responses you're bound to get and take them to heart.  Have a little respect for fish if you tend on releasing them...keep them in the water.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »

nice, good to see that theres still some of those 5lb pounders in there, ive caught 1 ;D great fun (spincasting though)

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 05:06:28 PM »

nice fish good on you for releasing it but you are bound to get roasted for your lack of skills in C&R fishing if it meant to be released it should not be laying on the shore.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 05:28:09 PM »

If your going to release them than either A) take a pic of it in the water holding the fish or B) just release the fish without taking a pic if its too difficult to do so in the water

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:29:55 PM »

Sorry guys! Note taken, thought it was okay for a short seconds, I've layed them there for no more then 8 seconds and took em back in.
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 08:17:38 PM »

You could always try to grab the fish one handed and take a shot of it in your hand without it touching the ground. just be careful not to drop it if your over ground and not water. this is how almost all my fish pics of trout are taken, well anything from about 5lbs and less any bigger and i cant one hand it  ;D

those are some pretty nice fish for broodies !! usually they have no nose or fins at all. I can see how they would take you for a decent run. I got 1 fish in GT that was about 4lbs that had ALL its fins intact  ;D it ran me into my backing and then busted me off just as i was about to grab it, did i mention it was alos bullet chrome  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fishyfish

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 11:24:33 PM »

Don't listen to those guys. How the hell can you take a picture of a fish in the water when you are by yourself. You caught them, there yours to take pics anyway you like. You could have bonked them but you decided to take pics and release them. They have a much better chance of living if they were out of the water a short time and put back in than if you bonked them. Don't apologize.They can do whatever they want with their fish, these are yours. Nice fish, nice day. 

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 01:50:22 AM »

go easy on the guy we all make mistakes.. you don't have to bash him.
that's a pretty big rainbow, glad you could snap a picture.
yeah it's probably better if you leave it in the water next time, but i'm pretty sure that beast
is as healthy as ever swimming around right now as we speak.

Nice fish :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 02:25:20 AM »

Nice to see brood fish still being caught in Green Timbers after they were stocked awhile ago. :) Not a bad looking fish either. Don't worry too much about it Fishin_Squirrel10-4. Mistakes do happen and the lessons never stop in fishing. I too have laid fish that I intended to release on the ground so I could take a photo or two in the past. At the moment of excitement, things happen. As long as there is a will to be informed and make the appropriate changes, all is good. ;)

What wouldn't be acceptable is to insist one's action is correct despite of advices given by more experienced individuals, as demonstrated in a couple of posts before this. A fish that an angler intends to be released is not the property of the angler, who does not have the privelege to do whatever he or she wishes to the fish. Under the provincial fishery guidelines, anglers are required to ensure that the fish is released with care. Conservation officers do issue warnings and fines to those who choose not to do so. This also will most likely be more enforced in the future now that proper catch and release is being more emphasized in the recreational fishery.

Why would you lay the fish on the ground to take a pic instead of leaving it in the water if you released it.  >:( >:( >:( Very poor fish handling , what a joke .

For more experienced anglers, there also isn't a need to attack those who make mistakes. Experienced anglers should be more understanding if they wish less experienced anglers to learn from them. The alternative approach only turns people away.

On a related note about fish photography, you can indeed take good photos by yourself without taking the fish out of the water. Today's digital camera comes with plenty of features that allow anglers to achieve these results. Take a look at Chromy Mykiss' photos.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/Stillwaters/AnodaAvrgbowie

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/Stillwaters/Spottedbowcloseup

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/Stillwaters/PerfectoAlmost

For macro photos of fish, choose the macro function and use the 2 second timer feature as well. A slight delay from pressing the shutter button eliminates the small amount of camera shake, which actually makes a big difference in the sharpness of your subject. The shots also look nicer with the water in the background, keeping the fish in its natural element.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/photoblog/081201_1

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/photoblog/090219_1

For taking self-photos with the fish, I have been experimenting with using a mini tripod and have been quite satisfied with the result. I like to keep my camera on a mini tripod and the whole device can fit in my wading jacket. Some digital cameras offer the multiple shot function at a time interval of your choice. Once the fish is landed, I like to keep it in the water, turn the camera on, choose the multi-shot function, set the tripod up and place the camera down. I usually make the camera to take five shots at a 10 second interval. Once the camera starts shooting, I take my time to get the fish ready and usually the third or fourth shot of the series are the ones that I end up saving. This way the fish is kept unharmed, you get the shots that you want, it's a win win situation. There is a learning curve to this so at the beginning you will not be satisfied with most of the shots. After some practice and knowing how far you need to be away from the camera, you will end up with some good results. Here are some examples that I am really happy with:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/photoblog/091031_1

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/photoblog/091116_1

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/photoblog/090123_1

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 05:37:35 AM »

Don't listen to those guys. How the hell can you take a picture of a fish in the water when you are by yourself.

then don't take the pic if it put the fish at jeopardy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:42:44 AM by Admin »

jimmywits

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »

I have caught and released enough trout in my time that I can do without providing proof! Keep it in the water or bonk it immediatly,your choice. We should all strive for zero unnecessary suffering.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 09:44:17 AM »

Don't listen to those guys. How the hell can you take a picture of a fish in the water when you are by yourself. You caught them, there yours to take pics anyway you like. You could have bonked them but you decided to take pics and release them. They have a much better chance of living if they were out of the water a short time and put back in than if you bonked them. Don't apologize.They can do whatever they want with their fish, these are yours. Nice fish, nice day.  

Are you serious?? That has to be one of the worst posts I have ever read on this site.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:15:18 PM by DionJL »

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »

Fishin_Squirrel10-4  nice fish and good on you for admitting a mistake. We have all mishandled a fish at some point in our time by accident or through lack of experience. Great pics Rodney. I just bought a mini tripod and have some great shots from the last two weeks. A great way of getting the photos you want without putting the fish in harms way, a must for any fisherman who fishing solo most of the time. :)
always a student

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 11:36:11 AM »

I have caught and released enough trout in my time that I can do without providing proof! Keep it in the water or bonk it immediatly,your choice. We should all strive for zero unnecessary suffering.

Yes. We should all strive for necessary suffering ;)