Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Green Timbers Lake, December 3rd 2009  (Read 4652 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Green Timbers Lake, December 3rd 2009
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »

I have a Gorillapod. ( not sure of the spelling ) lots of them on EBAY. They are adjustable and can be wrapped around various different things. Check them out.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 12:50:32 PM »

Wish that gorillapod could be used for a phone too.  :-\
And yes, less suffering the better. I've seen the light  :D
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »

Are you serious?? That has to be one of the worst posts I have ever read on this site.
Oh gawd ::) its amazing how quickly people jump over the smallest mistakes?  Its  not like this was a hatchery steelhead or anything. 

I certainly feel put off putting any pictures on this site for fear someone will nit pick about the way the fish was held or how long it was kept out of the water.  [I still remember how I got bashed for putting up a picture of myself with a late spawn chum - won't do that again!]

Thanks for the nice report, that was a real beauty and I hope I can be lucky enough to get one like that myself.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 01:23:57 PM »

Are you serious?? That has to be one of the worst posts I have ever read on this site.
Oh gawd ::) its amazing how quickly people jump over the smallest mistakes?  Its  not like this was a hatchery steelhead or anything. 

Daumzilla was not commenting on the photos in the original post (the smallest mistakes) but on fishyfish's attitude toward how fish should be handled when photos are taken.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »

Don't listen to those guys. How the hell can you take a picture of a fish in the water when you are by yourself. You caught them, there yours to take pics anyway you like. You could have bonked them but you decided to take pics and release them. They have a much better chance of living if they were out of the water a short time and put back in than if you bonked them. Don't apologize.They can do whatever they want with their fish, these are yours. Nice fish, nice day.  

I didn't want to get into this one, but.........

Fishyfish;

This kind of attitude is what is hurting our fishery. Weather the fish is a wild, Hatchery or whatever, you are required by LAW (Regulations) to properly handle and release fish if you doing C&R. Now let us forget about the reg's for a second, if you want to C&R, do it correctly, do not take the fish out of the water, try not to handle the fish too much, do not fight the fish to death (Get it in quickly), and make sure to revive the fish so that it will not fall prey to larger fish, Eagles etc.... and that it will not go belly up.

Yes, listen to these guys, they are not trying to attack the guy for the mishandling of the fish, they ARE trying to educate someone that seemed to not know that what he did was unhealthy for the fish.

If we want to be able to have a healthy fishery in this Province, and have a fishery for our children, we need to take care of what we have, PLEASE if you practice C&R, do it correctly.

Rick

Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »

Rodney - those are some good example of taking pics of fish solo however do you have any example pics of doing it without waders on so your not in the water making it easier to grab the fish ??

Squirrel - I know how tricky it can be to grab a fish when your standing on the shore. I normally dont even touch the fish but just grab the hook and pop it out. I TOTALLY understand you wanted pics of those fish as they are nice and big. the best advice i can give to trying to grab a fish for a solo pic while still in the water is this - Try to slide your fingers/hand along it belly to the center portion of its belly and then basically cup the fish into your hand and lift. 1 of 2 things will happen A) the fish will flop about and get out of your hand B) the fish will sit all nice and calm just long enough to snap a picture  ;D this does take practice to be good at and even faster at but its really not that hard. I have grabbed some big salmon this same exact way (works great on coho)

it will be best to practice this with the little guys because they are actually harder to get to calm down LOL

happy fishing
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 12:14:26 AM »

Rodney - those are some good example of taking pics of fish solo however do you have any example pics of doing it without waders on so your not in the water making it easier to grab the fish ??

I don't have too many examples of self-taken photos of me and the fish when I was not wearing my waders because I wear my waders most of the time, even fishing in the Tidal Fraser. The only times when I am not in my waders are when I fish around Richmond on a dry day, on a boat or one of the put and take lakes in the Lower Mainland. If I fish a spot without my waders and intend to take some photos (usually I plan ahead on what photos I would like for the trip), then I usually have my catch and release net with me. The fish goes in the net and rests while I set the camera up. This way I can take my time without worrying about how the fish might be treated. Here is one of the fish photos done with this method.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/photoblog/090824_1

This little guy was done with my SLR camera, I like the macro head shots at times.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/photoblog/090703_1

This one below was without my waders too. I took this one with the Pentax W60 after I first had the fish in the landing net while I took the camera out and set it up. I had the 2 second delay on to avoid any camera shake as that day was not very bright.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/photoblog/081024_1

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 12:17:52 AM »

as always Rod those are some nice shots. You do like to take close ups of the hook buried through the lips dont ya  ;) I have a bad habit of pulling the hook out before i do anything (banghead) which is also why i have memories of some fish and no picture LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 06:41:24 AM »

Also, for my Pentax W30, I just use a cheap mini tripod such as this one. Any bigger than that is bit of an overkill and does not fit in the jacket nicely. These little ones cost maybe $5, a cost that lets you beat around it while keeping the camera away from bashing on the hard surface.

For my SLR or HD video camera, I use a Joby Gorillapod SLR that is still fairly compact and more than stable enough to handle larger camera equipment.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 08:27:25 AM »

I didn't want to get into this one, but.........

Fishyfish;

This kind of attitude is what is hurting our fishery. Weather the fish is a wild, Hatchery or whatever, you are required by LAW (Regulations) to properly handle and release fish if you doing C&R. Now let us forget about the reg's for a second, if you want to C&R, do it correctly, do not take the fish out of the water, try not to handle the fish too much, do not fight the fish to death (Get it in quickly), and make sure to revive the fish so that it will not fall prey to larger fish, Eagles etc.... and that it will not go belly up.

Yes, listen to these guys, they are not trying to attack the guy for the mishandling of the fish, they ARE trying to educate someone that seemed to not know that what he did was unhealthy for the fish.

If we want to be able to have a healthy fishery in this Province, and have a fishery for our children, we need to take care of what we have, PLEASE if you practice C&R, do it correctly.

Rick

All I am saying is excessively negative comments put people off putting out reports .  I am not saying it is right to keep fish out of the water when doing catch and release only that it could have been worse given that this was a put and take lake.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:31:44 AM by fishseeker »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 12:51:07 PM »

Also, for my Pentax W30, I just use a cheap mini tripod such as this one. Any bigger than that is bit of an overkill and does not fit in the jacket nicely. These little ones cost maybe $5, a cost that lets you beat around it while keeping the camera away from bashing on the hard surface.

For my SLR or HD video camera, I use a Joby Gorillapod SLR that is still fairly compact and more than stable enough to handle larger camera equipment.

Just a note of caution Rod, that pill container in the picture has expired. :P Also you can get them camera holders at places like dollar giant for about a $1.25
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »

Actually I just grabbed the first photo of this mini tripod that I found on Flickr. ;D No pills needed, yet. ;D

The mini tripod that I have came with the Pentax when I purchased it on ebay. Definitely cheap and should only be used on the small P&S cameras. I tipped over one of my video cameras when I decided to use it on this tripod once, which was a costly mistake as I broke the shotgun microphone off.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 10:23:14 PM »

Wow, nice fish, beautiful colours.
You are making me want to take the 10 min walk to green timbers. ;D
You post must be related to the Nov 3rd post on Green timbers.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:28:56 PM by adriaticum »

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2009, 03:23:20 PM »

thanks! Not to sure if its even worth going to the lake. couple days ago i believe it was the 5th. the part of the lake froze and there wasn't much action going on. ended up dragging my flies across the ice.
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......