Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ray Mears on Vancouver Island  (Read 8614 times)

ColinB

Ray Mears on Vancouver Island
« on: November 30, 2009, 03:58:20 AM »

I'm not sure if you guys have heard of Ray Mears, but he's a UK survival expert.  His latest TV series is crossing Canada from East to West.  Last evenings show was on Vancouver Island and was a great advert for BC.  Lots of First Nations culture plus the fantastic scenery WOW!!!!
Brought back memories of my 1st visit to VI and Tofino.

If you get the chance to see it believe me it's worth it!!

It's available on the BBC iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p6r67/Ray_Mears_Northern_Wilderness_Journeys_End/

I recently found this link http://www.allanonymity.com/ to a program that hides your IP thus allowing you to view iPlayer in another country other than the UK.  I hope it works for you.
You can catch up with Coronation St and Eastenders as well  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Colin

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Ray Mears on Vancouver Island
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 07:05:10 PM »

Bump because Ray is incredibly cool to watch.

anorden

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »

If you are talking about showmanship then surely Bear Grylls takes the biscuit?? And did his parents really call him Bear?!?

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »

If you are talking about showmanship then surely Bear Grylls takes the biscuit?? And did his parents really call him Bear?!?

Bear Grylls is a fraud IMO. Sure he helps people understand the logistics of survival, but the stuff he does is just stupid and completely unrealistic. He's been caught a few times too ::) Someone better would be Ray Mears or Les Stroud of Survivorman.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 03:29:53 PM »

Les Stroud of Survivorman is incredible.
The one show I continue to remember is when he is confronted by a Panther and has it stalk him all the way to a nearby village.
Bear Grylls is a fraud, alot of the stuff he does has spectators right behind him watching. Sure he teaches people what to do in survival situations, but I find it's a more "do what I say, not what i do" type thing and I don't find it as entertaining to watch.

Les Stroud is amazing because he carries all his own camera gear, and has had to learn how to effictivly tape himself. He is completely alone and only has with him what a normal "lost hiker" would have with them. He puts himself into what I would consider some pretty dangerous situations where anything could go wrong.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »

lol, he said he was being stalked by a panther, but we never saw it.... ::) He spends to much time with his cameras, and he never seems to pull through when hes trying to accomplish something...fishing, hunting, fires, etc.

I prefer ManVsWild, this guy is crazy and hes smart enough to have a camera man follow him around so hes not fooling around with  his cameras the whole time. The camera man also makes sure he isnt pulling BigMacs out of his back pocket, who knows maybe Les isnt.
The Bigger The Better!

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 10:10:24 PM »

I'd never heard of Bear Grylls, so I looked him up.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOvF4n7-5F4&NR=1  That's about all I want to know!

Maybe this will catch on on the Vedder. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCsnEsvlDiQ&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=967C2A9DB1867309
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:15:48 PM by Matt »

ColinB

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 01:37:12 AM »

I just found another Survival expert on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPOfCqoPsfg

Peter Greaves rocks ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy!!

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 07:03:50 AM »

second he is the youngest who climbed the Everlast

lol of course it doesn't make u an expert. there has been a blind person and a person with no legs who have climbed everest...

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 08:22:45 AM »

Bear is a right toss pot!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »

I prefer ManVsWild, this guy is crazy and hes smart enough to have a camera man follow him around so hes not fooling around with  his cameras the whole time. The camera man also makes sure he isnt pulling BigMacs out of his back pocket, who knows maybe Les isnt.

ManVsWild = Bear Grylls = busted for fakery

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 06:08:36 PM »

The show would be kind of boring if the guy went out in the woods, found nothing, ended up in a starvation/hypothermia-induced coma and got rescued.  Being lost in the coastal mountains in December, I think that is the most likely outcome... ie: not finding a deer that "fell off a cliff"*.  Survival skills are way more difficult than they  look on TV or in a book.

I've come across exactly one fresh dead deer that died because it tried to swim the Mamquam (there you Itosh(?)) when it was blown.  It was mashed up under a log jamb and there wasn't much I was going to be able to do to remove it. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 06:15:07 PM by Matt »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »

I've come across exactly one fresh dead deer that died because it tried to swim the Mamquam (there you Itosh(?)) when it was blown.  It was mashed up under a log jamb and there wasn't much I was going to be able to do to remove it. 

Ah too bad, they are delicious prepared that way.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 03:27:34 PM »

I'd never heard of Bear Grylls before this thread.  I've been watching some of his stuff on youtube and its pretty entertaining.  Sure, he "conveniently" comes across useful stuff (freshly killed animals, a canoe etc etc) but its still fun to watch. 

One thing REALLY bothers me though... the guy is constantly getting his clothes wet falling in creeks, wading unnecessarily in water etc... that's a sure ticket to hypothermia in a lot of the climates he ventures into.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 07:28:57 AM »

, wading unnecessarily in water etc... that's a sure ticket to hypothermia in a lot of the climates he ventures into.

just wait until u see him run through the woods blindly at night then jump off a cliff into a river at night, all becuz he thought he might have heard a bear near his camp ::)