Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Really dumb question  (Read 35157 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Really dumb question
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 04:18:29 PM »

glad to hear the rod is getting some use Randolph  ;D

hmm dries in winter  :-\ I have had some guys tell my they have gotten cutthroat on dries in winter time, i doubt it happens often however if you get a nice sunny (possibly warm) winter day there are bugs that will take advantage.

little brown stones come up off the water in the winter months and cutthroat get very selective with them.  Frustrating if you forgot your nymph box and all you have is streamers handy!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 06:25:03 PM »

its funny you say that Tex because i fish pinks on my 5wt all the time. fresh and salt waters  ;D i have even landed a 12lb chinook on it  :o but not that i have picked up a 7/8 switch rod this is what i will be using from now on.
I never said it couldn't be done, HOOK, but you're definitely undergunned using a 5wt salmon fishing.  And catching fishing chinook with a 5wt is like taking a knife to a gun fight.  You will be stressing out the fish way more than you should be, especially if you're going to be releasing it.

FWIW, I've caught pinks on my 4wt, but I wouldn't recommend it, and it was when I was much younger. 

My 2 cents.
Tex

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2009, 08:43:26 PM »

never felt undergunned with my 5wt on pinks. with that chinook which was a bycatch on the Squamish while pink fishing i did feel undergunned but couldnt get the hook to snap for some reason so decided to try and land it, it was released unharmed and gave me a huge bath at the same time  ;D

I know lots of guys that use 5wt's for pinks. If you know how to use the rod to your advantage it can be done very easily. Yes a heavier rod is the better choice for beginners especially because lack of experience with the rod types.

im not trying to fight with you Tex im just stating what i like from personal experience. I have also been fly fishing for years  ;) and i can tell you have been also.

HOOK - still needs to catch a sturgeon on a fly rod  :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »

how do u explain this guy's fotos?fake?
http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/topic/2074
steelhead on #000
also coho , and bull trout, and you sure they will be dead if you fish them on light gear??? or is it more like a myth?

All I know from my experience (I've fished 2wt and higher) is that the weight of the rod has less to do with how long it takes to bring a fish in than the line you are using.  If you're using light leader/tippet which is the case with those ultralight setups, most of the time you will end up overplaying larger fish, or they simply break off.  My guess is these guys are probably using heavier leader/tippet.

Consider that a small size 0 reel will have very little backing and line on it.  Couple that with the fact that on a light rod a large fish will use up the flex and start its runs on your reel SOONER and you have a fairly obvious answer, I'd think. 

I can tell you one thing for sure too...the fish that I bring in on "proper" sized equipment for the job are in no mood to lie down next to my rod for a picture.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2009, 09:20:01 PM »

Also, there is a time and place for rods like that. You will get the maximum enjoyment from fishing for small trout with a zero weight rod .  Catch a steelhead or salmon consistently with that rod, and over time it will take a beating and be thrashed. In addition, if your goal as a fishermen is to get your catch in quickly, the average joe is more likely to spend all afternoon, in trying to bring in a feisty salmon or steelhead.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/topic/2074  These photos are not fake, I know the angler personally, he is a very accomplished fly fisherman.

I was like I recognize that face....Than I finally clued in who it was LOL...He sure loves his coarse fish LOL

Great guy. I need to go and visit him soon.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2009, 09:40:48 PM »

So i guess he is not an average joe?

but seriously, Anyone here ever had an afternoon battling a salmon or steelhead on a sage txl #000, or you guys are just assuming it will take you that long?

He is not the average fisherman. This guy knows his stuff especially when it comes to light gear fishing. I am assuming ( I will even ask him next time I see him ) that he was probably targeting different fish when he caught some of those bigger fish.

Also someone that does not have the experience fishing light gear should probably not be specifically targeting coho with a 1wt or 3wt. Remember these fish are coming back to spawn and use up most of their energy getting to their spawning grounds. Why would you specifically target these fish with a 1wt and even take a chance that the fight you are enjoying could possibly kill the fish. It just doesnt make any logical sense.....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »

ok to those of you that know him. Is that one of the guys from Reaction ? because i thought i recognized the face also but wasnt sure  :-\
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 08:27:23 AM »

--just a reminder we are giving advice here to someone that is beginning FLY fishing and has a budget.

- That is why I assumed he would at this time only buy one rod, thus I reccomended a 6 wt until he decides what type of fishing he is going to do the most of. It is forgiving even with some wind and I found in lower priced rods the 6 wt usually casts well. I have found that lower priced lighter wt rods really start to show their lack of performance and often have cheaper components.
Also figure he can keep the 6 wt for life.

--as I started flyfishing in kamloops in the 60's the rod of the day was an 8wt 8ft fiberglass which is now considered fairly heavy. I still have that rod, slow action soft as a noodle.
--I have seen full line out on a 00 but most people are humbled when trying to cast such a light outfit any distance. Casting distance is more for fun and bragging rights as most would use this for short distance small creek.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:36:05 AM by skaha »

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 09:14:51 AM »

--just a reminder we are giving advice here to someone that is beginning fishing and has a budget.

ive been gear fishing since i was three (now 13), n im just starting out fly fishing.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2009, 09:53:41 AM »

ive been gear fishing since i was three (now 13), n im just starting out fly fishing.

--I changed my post... meant new to fly fishing...
--The 6 wt is a forgiving caster even lower priced rods was the intent of the answer.
--I have a 6wt Gloomis imx that is a favorite but also have and use an amundson 6wt.
--The loomis is custom, light wt and fast action.
--The amundson is slower action but still has good components and casts well.

--I have several specialty fly rods and custom made rods all with different lenght,wt and action...still often use the 6 wt.
--You have a jump start in knowing where the fish are from your experience in gear fishing, the 6 wt would give you a good casting range for most fishing .
--The other advice is to buy from a local shop where they can give you more information and help with the set up. I also reccomend a good quality line.the shop will be able to advise on a suitable line from one of the major suppliers and will likely have a combination set up rod, reel and line. most will have demo outfits to try so you get a feel for what you want before you buy.

--I doubt that any of the people who posted light wt 00-3 wt would reccomend these as a first rod for all around fishing.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:13:52 AM by skaha »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2009, 11:53:27 AM »

they do, and you can also consider newbie since i still can't cast my whole fly line out, but i found a 3 weight suit my purpose.

most fish hit within 60' range, at least for me, maybe closer i'd say

for casting, i found lighter rod is easier to load, and as a beginer i don't have the mind set that i'd have to cast out as far as you guys, the first thing is to "understand" how the things works, isn't it

as others said it comes to leader and tippet, and how much can a rod take to break down?

again, it all comes to personal preference, you can even catch a trout on a 14wt, I am saying he should try a range of different things, not so rigid on "start on certain range"

Randolph there are reasons why over time people have recognized that a 6 weight is almost ideal to start with.  As somebody new to it, you can choose to ignore decades and decades of experience, or you can quit arguing, listen, and learn.  There are guys here giving advice that have been flyfishing since well before you were born, myself included.   We don't just make stuff up for the sake of argument, we are offering up honest advice in the hopes that it might help a beginner progress more easily. 

As for your comment on the ultralight guys using 4x tippets....not sure if you realize this but the 4x does not speak to the strength of the tippet, only to the diameter of the tippet.  You can have a 2x 8lb tippet or a 4x 8lb tippet, both will have same strength but different diameters, the 4x being "skinnier".  Diameter is important for matching leader to tippet as having the same sized diameters will result in stronger knots.  If you knew this already, sorry for reiterating.

A decent 6wt will be easy to cast, forgiving, and will allow you to fish a huuuuge range of sizes and types of fish.  Trying a "range of different things" is something you get into after getting the basics down.  I find now that I use a 4wt for most of my fishing (cutties) but when I am targeting larger fish I switch to an 8.  If I had ONE rod, it'd still be my 6wt.  I'm positive (and this is for you blackgivesway2blue) that if you take a little time and collect info from a variety of experienced sources, the rod people will point you to will be one of either a 5wt or 6wt for the fishing you'll be doing most of, and it will probably be an amundson, reddington, dragonfly (or similar) or whatever good used higher end rod you could find (which is what I'd recommend).

Look, I'm all for people doing what they want to do...I could care less if people want to make it difficult for themselves.....but what bugs me is when people with virtually no flyfishing experience suggest things that will put a beginner at a real disadvantage and ultimately waste their time and money. 

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 12:41:50 PM »

Blackgivesway2blue;

E-Mail Sent.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

jimmywits

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2009, 01:29:56 PM »

I would go to the Langley Army&Navy and tell the staff you are just starting out fly-fishing and let them know what your budget is. They have great people working there who really know their stuff and huge inventory. They will put a package together for you, and yes it will most likely include a 6wt 9ft rod. They can provide this for any budget. There are a number of decent quality rod's on the market that are not that expensive, ( Berkley,Dragonfly,Martin) to name a few. Remember this is a starter kit, over time you will probably end up like us old guy's and have a number of different rod makes and specifications. I still have my first rod and use it frequently.

tight lines

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2009, 03:17:20 PM »

Blackgivesway2blue;

E-Mail Sent.

Rick

Rick if u were trying to send me an email i didnt get it, sorry

and after christmas i was planning on going to either Army & Navy or Micheal & Youngs and ask them questions on what would be the best rod+reel combo for a beginer and within the $100-$200 range, and thanks for all the repsonses
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:20:01 PM by Blackgivesway2blue »