Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Really dumb question  (Read 35155 times)

Blackgivesway2blue

Re: Really dumb question
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 03:36:48 PM »

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Don't buy a rod/reel from Can Tire or Walmart. They are harder to cast and are not good quality in ANY way.

There are places you can get a rod for low cost that are of better quality. Look for deals on some of the following rods;

-Amundson
-Dragonfly

You will be disappointed if you get one at Can Tire or Walmart. Keep an eye on the Buy & Sell section here, there are rods that come up that are MUCH better than the stuff you will get at Can Tire....

Rick

okay, what about Micheal And Young fly shop in whalley??? is that place anygood???
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:46:25 PM by Blackgivesway2blue »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »

okay, what about Micheal And Young fly shop in whalley??? is that place anygood???

Yes, very good. Go and see them they will treat you right.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 09:02:53 PM »

oh yea the rod iv been using is up at my grandpas cabin for the summer months so right now i dont have one with me.  after christmas im gonna buy a Fly Rod at canadian tire or something cause ive seen these combos for begineers with like a book n dry line n a couple flies n stuff like that for i think its $60 or $70.

Almost all their rods and reels are factory seconds and you will be extremely dissapointed

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 09:35:18 PM »

k, this is my last question what is the setup for Dry flie fishing is it mainline-leader-tippet-fly??? n what is a tippet???

jimmywits

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 09:48:41 PM »

k, this is my last question what is the setup for Dry flie fishing is it mainline-leader-tippet-fly??? n what is a tippet???
Tippet is the last 16 to 18 inches of your leader before the fly. The idea being that you can keep replacing your tippet without having to replace your whole leader as you tie on fly after fly thus shortening your overall length of leader. And this is the case for dry fly or wet fly fishing.

hope this helps    tight lines

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 01:28:45 AM »

Black - you can also check out Army & Navy because they have Dragonfly, Amundson and TFO combos that will probably fair in the $300 range which is good considering its rod/reel/line.

My offer still stands  ;) just let me know if you wanna take me up on it.

If your buying a rod for trout then go with a 5wt setup as well. this is a good all around rod weight for trout. that is unless your in a lake where 5+ is the norm  :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 07:15:25 AM »

the lake i go to in the summer (Horsefly Lake) has rainbows over 13pounds my grandpas caught a couple the last few years trolling but thats pretty far up the lake for those ones, the lakes 35 km long. but he has caught an 8 pound rainbow just in front of the house so idk, its normal trolling in some spots but i have seen some pretty big rainbow under the dock ;D

HOOK maybe sometime after christmas when it calms down a little bit there ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:25:38 AM by Blackgivesway2blue »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 11:42:35 AM »

If your buying a rod for trout then go with a 5wt setup as well. this is a good all around rod weight for trout. that is unless your in a lake where 5+ is the norm  :o

I would respectfully disagree with HOOK's 5wt recommendation... he is definitely right in that a 5wt rod is probably my favourite "pure" trout rod for BC, but in your situation a 6wt is probably the best all-round rod, in my opinion.  It's still light enough to have fun playing smaller rainbows (under 14 inches), but is strong enough for bigger fish (8lbs+), and will really help punch casts out on windy days when a lot of 5wt rods may have difficulty.

Plus, as an added bonus, if you ever are fishing for pink salmon or coho, a 6wt rod would have enough backbone to handle such fish (although a 7wt would be better, and if you know you'll end up with more than one rod, a 5 wt and 7 wt would be a good one-two punch!).

Good luck!
:D
Tex
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 11:44:12 AM by Tex »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 12:53:06 PM »

its funny you say that Tex because i fish pinks on my 5wt all the time. fresh and salt waters  ;D i have even landed a 12lb chinook on it  :o but not that i have picked up a 7/8 switch rod this is what i will be using from now on.

I used to own a 6wt also but it collected dust after i got my 5wt setup (this is why i recommended a 5wt) just ask Randolph because he bought my 6wt setup  ;D of course now my trout setups are a 4wt & 5wt.
Check out our new blog

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 04:28:15 PM »

im guessing 5wt n 6wt n stuff like that means 5wieght or 6wieght???

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 08:05:03 PM »

im guessing 5wt n 6wt n stuff like that means 5wieght or 6wieght???

--yep and you usually match line and reel same wt as rod.

--If only one rod I also prefer the advice of getting a 6 wt.  If you get it from a fishing shop they should help you set it up, whereas if you get it from a big box store you'll have to figure it out for yourself.

--There are a ton of areas to fish at horsefly, lots of rivers and creeks as well as the lake that can be fished from shore. Get someone to drop you off at any of the creeks that flow into the lake and fish the mouth area. Good chance for larger fish cruising by. You will be able to fish dry fly drift into the lake as well as minnow patterns on sink tip or sinking line.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »

--yep and you usually match line and reel same wt as rod.

--If only one rod I also prefer the advice of getting a 6 wt.  If you get it from a fishing shop they should help you set it up, whereas if you get it from a big box store you'll have to figure it out for yourself.

--There are a ton of areas to fish at horsefly, lots of rivers and creeks as well as the lake that can be fished from shore. Get someone to drop you off at any of the creeks that flow into the lake and fish the mouth area. Good chance for larger fish cruising by. You will be able to fish dry fly drift into the lake as well as minnow patterns on sink tip or sinking line.

Just make sure you check the regs as some maybe classified like McKinley creek. Had a cabin on Mckinley lake and the creek can be amazing with dries.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »

By the way...

match your diameter of your leader to your tippet as closely as possible.  Makes a big difference in knot strength.  For example don't pair up 8lb maxima leader with 4x 3lb froghair flouro.....doesn't make for a strong knot! 

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 09:37:14 AM »

let me add another dumb question here, don't you guys think it's a bit too late for dries? or just need to switch to things like some tiny size 20 midges?
--depends where you're fishing.. often larger lake fish like in okanagan will cruise by mouth of creeks and rivers. They may take familiar looking food even though not what they should be looking for. More of a stimulation bite rather than matchin the hatch.
--when they're not cooperating with the general wisdom, as Monty Python says, try something completely different.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 12:15:20 PM »

glad to hear the rod is getting some use Randolph  ;D

hmm dries in winter  :-\ I have had some guys tell my they have gotten cutthroat on dries in winter time, i doubt it happens often however if you get a nice sunny (possibly warm) winter day there are bugs that will take advantage.
Check out our new blog