Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Really dumb question  (Read 35154 times)

Blackgivesway2blue

Really dumb question
« on: November 24, 2009, 09:31:01 PM »

theres 2 types of Fly fishing right??? theres when u let the Flie float on top, then theres where u got kinda like a bobber kinda thing and the flie sinks down n u watch the bobber right??? what is the diffrence n what are they called??? :-\

BTW im just starting to get interested in starting fly fishing i see people do it both ways n i get confused  :-\

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Really dumb question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:02:32 PM »

theres 2 types of Fly fishing right??? theres when u let the Flie float on top, then theres where u got kinda like a bobber kinda thing and the flie sinks down n u watch the bobber right??? what is the diffrence n what are they called??? :-\

BTW im just starting to get interested in starting fly fishing i see people do it both ways n i get confused  :-\

Its a bit more than that. You can fly fish with many different techniques. The " bobber " fishing is chironomid fishing. Just do an internet search on it or join flybc.ca which is a BC fly fishing website forum. The fly "on top" is dry fly fishing. You can fish flies subsurface as well which is what you would do most of the time. Fly lines indicate how deep or shallow you will fish those flies. Fly lines have sink rates. This topic can go on forever. I would do a google search on fly fishing, read as much as you can and than come back and ask more specific questions.

Once you go fly you never go back ;)

Cheers & Have fun!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:45:39 PM »

You can also go to your local library. Try to the find the book called  "The Gilly a flyfisher's guide" as it is a great book.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »

There is dry fly fishing, streamer fishing, nymph fishing, and the list goes on, depending on the situation and where you are fishing. River fishing will be completely different from lake fishing, and each will have its different variations and nuances. Welcome to the interesting and intriguing hobby of fly fishing, once you get into it, you can see why it is such a popular method of fishing.
Dry fly fishing you will typically be using a pattern that imitates a food source like a mayfly, and have the fly sit on the surface of the water in a natural way to entice the trout to hit it. When fishing below the surface with nymphs for instance, you will be imitating aquatic food sources, and trying to get the trout to eat your imitation. Simplistic explanation but I hope that helps you out.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 07:26:47 AM »

k sweet thanks

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 11:43:32 AM »

First off, there are NO dumb questions.

There is alot more to it than the question entails. There is;

-Dry Fly Fishing (Where the fly floats on top of the water)
-Wet or sinking line (Where the fly sinks under the water)
-Bobber or Strike indicator (Where the fly sinks, but you control the depth with the indicator and can detect strikes with it)

Dry fly fishing is using a fly that is made from material that will allow the fly to float to imitate the natural fly that is sitting on the top of the water. This can be a natural like a Mayfly or stonefly which spend most of their lives living under the water. Then there is Terrestrials, these are insects that do not live in the water, but happen to fall into the water. This includes insects like Grasshoppers, Ants, Beatles.

Sinking line techniques are used for insects that live in the water. These include Damselflies, Dragonflies, Caddisflies, Water Boatmen, Chironomids, Leeches, Scuds, Mayflies plus more. Most of these live in the water for many years before becoming the Adult (The Dry Fly Stage) Usually fishing with these flies are done with a sinking line, but not on all occasions.

Strike indicators are used in conjunction with Wet flies or Nymphs. All the indicator is used for is to allow you to detect the strike as well as being able to set the depth you want to fish in. Indicators were first used to fish Chironomids, but in the last 10 years or so, people (Including myself) have been using Damsels, Leeches and a few other insects under them as well.

I hope this helps you a bit.

If you want to learn more, go to my website and order my books. One covers all the Basics on flyfishing, the other goes into detail about the insects and how, when, why the fish feed on each one during each stage of the insects life.

Rick Passek (www.rp3flyfishing.com)
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 12:23:24 PM »

First off, there are NO dumb questions.
This is one of the great myths in our society... there most certainly ARE dumb questions. ;) Fortunately, Blackgivesway2blue's question isn't one of them! 

:D
Tex

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 01:48:53 PM »

don't get fool by all these techy terms i'd say, a fly rod is just a casting tool to cast out miniature immitations, much like sppons, spinners, jigs, crankbait.
In fact you can even cast spoons, jigs, crankbait on fly rod too

you can even use flies on ur spinning rod as well, and retrieve it slowly, i mean really slow, it is just the immitation. I've seen ppl doing extremely well whether attaching split shot with a nymph or bobing a bloodworm, or even dry flies

but i don't think Green timber is a good place for a lot back casting...

I am sorry but that is NOT fly fishing its gear fishing with a fly rod. Nobody has used any techy terms here. The best thing for him to do is take everyones advice and info. Other than yourself everyone else has given him some good info and advice.

If someone is getting into fly fishing IMO telling him that he can use spoons jigs etc is bad advice. Learning proper casting technique is probably the best advice. If your just getting started my advice is go into your local store. Ask them what the cost of a good beginner setup is. Than ask if they offer any fly casting classes. Maybe they will give you a deal on casting lessons if you purchase a set up.

I would think most of us are self taught ( especially if we started long ago ) when you are self taught you pick up bad habits. I myself am self taught and had many bad habits. I was lucky to be corrected by a great caster by the  name of Ian who fixed what was wrong with my cast. Ever since I took his advice my casting is 100% better. Before I would muscle out my casts instead of letting the rod do the work. Dont get bad habits and learn from someone who knows what their doing.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 02:23:58 PM »

don't get fool by all these techy terms i'd say, a fly rod is just a casting tool to cast out miniature immitations, much like sppons, spinners, jigs, crankbait.

um, no.  If this is how you use your fly rod you are not using it to it's potential...not even close.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »

ive been working on my cast n i think its pretty good, n I think the rod ive been practicing on (my grandfathers) has wet or sinking line i think i cant remember.  Because i cast it then it starts to sink.  Ive only done it up at a lake by williams lake called Horsefly lake n havent had any luck fly fishing of the dock in the summer months (but really good trolling).

the way he told me was like 10 oclock to 1 oclock motion back n forth letting more line out every cast then when u got some momentum through it out then bring it back slowly, is that rightish???

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 07:12:57 PM »

oh another question which one of theses is the best and easiest way for a begginer???

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 12:56:47 AM »

Black - i can meet you up at GT sometime and give you some pointers on casting. I can even bring a rod with a dry line on it if all you have is the sinking line. dry line is easier to learn on because its alot lighter.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 07:10:07 AM »

oh yea the rod iv been using is up at my grandpas cabin for the summer months so right now i dont have one with me.  after christmas im gonna buy a Fly Rod at canadian tire or something cause ive seen these combos for begineers with like a book n dry line n a couple flies n stuff like that for i think its $60 or $70.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:17:50 AM by Blackgivesway2blue »

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 09:57:13 AM »

oh yea the rod iv been using is up at my grandpas cabin for the summer months so right now i dont have one with me.  after christmas im gonna buy a Fly Rod at canadian tire or something cause ive seen these combos for begineers with like a book n dry line n a couple flies n stuff like that for i think its $60 or $70.

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Don't buy a rod/reel from Can Tire or Walmart. They are harder to cast and are not good quality in ANY way.

There are places you can get a rod for low cost that are of better quality. Look for deals on some of the following rods;

-Amundson
-Dragonfly

You will be disappointed if you get one at Can Tire or Walmart. Keep an eye on the Buy & Sell section here, there are rods that come up that are MUCH better than the stuff you will get at Can Tire....

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

jimmywits

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 10:45:50 AM »

You can also go to your local library. Try to the find the book called  "The Gilly a flyfisher's guide" as it is a great book.
I strongly second the aforementioned advise, it is the flyfishing bible and can still be picked up used, just google it and you should get leads on book shops that have it.