Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your fresh salmon fillets cooked for you while you fish  (Read 9358 times)

Robert_G

Get your fresh salmon fillets cooked for you while you fish
« on: September 30, 2009, 01:32:35 PM »

Unbelievable.
Once again...a bunch of East European immigrants (no offense to immigrants), have set up camp up the middle section of the Chilliwack River.
They can barely speak english and have absolutely no idea what the 'regs' are.

They had set up a really nice grill over an open fire of hot coals and such with the metal grill propped above it.
At first I thought they were just having lunch, but a closer look showed they were cooking salmon on it.
And not just one or 2......
There was at least a dozen fillets of salmon on this large grill. Fresh caught this morning.
On the side of the log by the grill, there were all sorts of salmon parts. Heads, fins, tails, skin.....you name it.
There were so many of them fishing, you wouldn't know whether they got their limit or not. A few would fish, a few would cook....and some would just bring salmon from the river, fillet it, and then grill it as well.
You'd think they were feeding 2 or 3 whole families.
There was no way to keep count as they would eat some and then bring some more from the river and cook it too.

I think most of them were pinks but that is still no excuse.

Hollis

Re: Get your fresh salmon fillets cooked for you while you fish
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:30:43 PM »

I wonder if they were going to transport the said cooked salmon home. (No head and tail)-not good.
The Fish Wisperer

Rybar

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 02:47:27 PM »

Must be some Eastern Blocks lol, how many guys were there?

Robert_G

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »

There were at least 4 that were fishing.  I'm not sure how many in total. They would take turns.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:47:39 PM »

Looks like the Cosmonauts have found a new fishing hole.  They enjoyed Furry Creek alright.  A couple guys would fish and pass off fish to their buddies who'd take them back to the Lada or whatever they drove.

minsyoo

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:12:56 PM »

What are the actual regulations around this matter?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »

What are the actual regulations around this matter?

I believe it counts towards their daily limit.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »

There is a daily catch limit, and then there is a possession limit (which is 2x the daily limit) so if they camped for a week each angler is entitled to keep 2 days worth of limits. So an example would be if they were targeting coho each angler is allowed to be in possession of 8 coho and thats it as that would max out their possession limit.
 Also they're not suppose to cut the head, fins, or tail off of the fish until they return to their permanent residence so DFO, FOC, or a RCMP officer can identify the fish.

I wonder why the fish struggle so hard to survive :-\

if your eating fish, you may retain your daily limit every day of your week stay. but you can only possess 2 daily limits.

eg.
 2 days of fishing you limited on coho (8 coho possession) during the 2 days you also eat 4 of your 8, now you only have 4 coho.
  day 3 you can bonk 4 more bring your total possession to 8.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:28:10 PM »

1-800-465-4336

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:51:06 PM »

Unbelievable.
Once again...a bunch of East European immigrants (no offense to immigrants), have set up camp up the middle section of the Chilliwack River.
They can barely speak english and have absolutely no idea what the 'regs' are.

They had set up a really nice grill over an open fire of hot coals and such with the metal grill propped above it.
At first I thought they were just having lunch, but a closer look showed they were cooking salmon on it.
And not just one or 2......
There was at least a dozen fillets of salmon on this large grill. Fresh caught this morning.
On the side of the log by the grill, there were all sorts of salmon parts. Heads, fins, tails, skin.....you name it.
There were so many of them fishing, you wouldn't know whether they got their limit or not. A few would fish, a few would cook....and some would just bring salmon from the river, fillet it, and then grill it as well.
You'd think they were feeding 2 or 3 whole families.
There was no way to keep count as they would eat some and then bring some more from the river and cook it too.

I think most of them were pinks but that is still no excuse.

Why not see it this way:

A group of friends decides to spend a few days fishing and eating their catch. They are entitled to 4 fish a day. You can harvest 4 pinks these days on the Vedder. That's a lot of fish! They catch it, cook it and eat it on the spot.
They even keep the heads and tails nearby to be counted in case they get checked.
Seen a good number of very local Anglo-Saxon fishing parties doing just that on Pegleg. It's not just an immigrant thing.

As long as they clean up after themselves and don't harvest above their limit, I see no problem in them eating their catch by the river.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 10:19:59 PM »

I guess that makes sense, but i think we all think the worse in people and some people probably have over fished their limit and cooked it. Personally I've taken 1 fish (pink) home to eat... by accidently put too much salt on it by accident and it wasn't edible  :'( . I just hope if i decided to cook a fish one day people wont think that i'm over fishing...   I wish the DFO would create better methods for catch numbers so people wont be misunderstood.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 07:41:35 AM »

Why not see it this way:

A group of friends decides to spend a few days fishing and eating their catch. They are entitled to 4 fish a day. You can harvest 4 pinks these days on the Vedder. That's a lot of fish! They catch it, cook it and eat it on the spot.
They even keep the heads and tails nearby to be counted in case they get checked.
Seen a good number of very local Anglo-Saxon fishing parties doing just that on Pegleg. It's not just an immigrant thing.

As long as they clean up after themselves and don't harvest above their limit, I see no problem in them eating their catch by the river.

Captain Slavic to the rescue lol

SpringKing#1

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 08:59:27 AM »

Sounds like a great time , like he said as long as they clean up, catch there limit.
All the rest of the whining ,is not understanding a good time.!
some peeps...?

nosey

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 10:32:53 AM »

I'm with Milo on this one, they aren't going to eat 4 pinks a each so they aren't probably breaking any laws, it's just a big eaters shore lunch.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 11:40:55 AM »

Captain Slavic to the rescue lol

LOL! ;D
Except that this Captain Slavic was born in London, England, and has had a very Western upbringing. ;)