Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Springs on the fly  (Read 8596 times)

KLX

Springs on the fly
« on: September 30, 2009, 10:30:19 AM »

Can i realistically land a 30lb spring with my 9 wt? I was thinking of dead drifting egg patterns on the vedder...any INTELLIGENT suggestions on technique, effectiveness?

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Springs on the fly
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:09:19 AM »

I landed a huge one pushing 40lbs a few years ago. this was on an 8wt and it took a bit of time to say the least. Im planning on taking out the spey rod to play with a few (9/10wt) I can tell you there is alot of bruisers in there this year. smallest i saw yesterday was in the mid 20's range. If you feel you cant handle the fish just point and break.

I would try and use a split shot and strike indicator for your glo bugs to help prevent snagged fish, even springs while swinging unless you make damn sure your above the fish entirely.

Have fun out there. think i will bring the spey out on the weekend and get a spot early and i mean early to have casting room LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bmj9

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 11:14:05 AM »

I have caught a few getting close to that size on a 9 weight in the past in the Vedder. Egg patterns, or just wool worked fine. I felt, though, that in most cases I had over stressed the fish.
Prince Rupert, B.C.

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »

i was thinking about bring my 7wt out there to try, hahah, i guess i'm breaking off more flies than i think.  I was hoping to target cohos with it and not really the large springs but something you just don't know what will take it.

KLX

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:27:03 AM »

is the vedder busy even on weekday mornings?? i rarely if ever fish the LMD so not sure.

Rybar

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 12:21:54 PM »

is the vedder busy even on weekday mornings?? i rarely if ever fish the LMD so not sure.

This time of year yes, just not as busy as weekends. I too would like to try my 8wt for springs this season.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 12:41:17 PM »

You're not going to make any friends on the Vedder trying to land Springs on a single hander in fast water.
With enough time and distance you can land it but no one else will be able to fish for that time and distance.
If you can get away from the crowds or fish an area with like minded people it might be okay.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 06:35:23 PM »

A 9wt with good backbone is all you need. I have landed both a 35 & 36 lb with my 9wt.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

abbott101

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 08:47:11 PM »

i got a 15ft 10wt spey so i should be able to handle the springs no problem right? also is it better to swing big intruders in black and blue and black and chatruse. will they take the flies on the swing or do u have to dead drift it or swing and strip? any suggestions will help im used to spey fishing for steelies so big springs is a whole new ball game. also what type of water? fast and chopper or deep and slow?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »

Remember to use strong enough hooks- a buddy lost a good spring recently after 20 minutes because the hook straightened on him.

Banny

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 12:26:05 PM »

Yes I did  :'(

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 01:08:58 PM »

Abbott - you be surprised at how small flies will work alot better then big ones on the Vedder whiteys. dont get me wrong there is days they are all over huge flies but not very often. I have gotten almost all of mine on rolled muddlers while fishing for coho. I would tie some bigger ones of those for them specifically like a size 4 instead of the 8's i use for coho. I would also take some black wooly buggers or something dark and small because that will be good also. Oh and try adding a green butt to your buggers as well  ;) like a chartruese tail on a black fly
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Banny

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 01:30:25 PM »

I have been having success on sparse mickey finns in size 6.  No luck so far on black or olive rolled muddlers, but I think they will work well too.  The takes have been exciting to say the least.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 02:16:45 PM »

A 9wt with good backbone is all you need. I have landed both a 35 & 36 lb with my 9wt.

I agree. I have landed a few over 30lbs on my 9/10wt and it was fine.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 05:16:51 PM »

Agree with Hook that some days Springs won't take anything bigger than a size 10 fly or a pea size clipping of wool. Water conditions will generally dictate what kind of bait will be needed.
It ain't the roe bro'