Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Springs on the fly  (Read 8594 times)

KLX

Re: Springs on the fly
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »

any water condition reports from today?

btw thanks for all helpful posts

abbott101

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »

so would u swing the size 8 wollybuggers,muddlers etc or cast and strip in

funpig

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 10:40:26 PM »

When I fly fish the Vedder, it is almost always moving water.  I cast across and swing the fly.  I may cast a little bit more up river and mend in fast or deep water to give it enough time to sink and a little bit down river in slow or shallow water to keep it from hanging up on the bottom.  I never yank when I feel fish bumping against the line or fly and I even try to delay in setting the hook until the fish actually takes the fly to keep the number of snagged fish down.  At the end of the drift, you can let it dangle for sec (I caught one last week while I was on the cell phone with the fly dangling down river).  If the current is slow, I will strip retrieve in after the drift;  sometimes a salmon will chase and bite.  In faster current, the fly will rise to the top so I just pull it up quickly and re-cast.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 03:26:15 PM »

Funpig hit the nail in the head there.   ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 08:52:20 PM »

Thanks to the help of Mr. HOOK and some of the other fine people on this site i successfully hooked and landed my first Spring(maybe 15-20lbs i think),Jack Spring and one Chum Shocked on the fly today!!! all released. Everything but a coho Sad

Very exciting on the 8wt to say the least!

Thank you all again. today was one bad *** day for this newbie fly fisher! Grin
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:13:22 PM by rhino »

mikeH

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 10:35:42 AM »

I'm liking this topic heh was out yesterday on the Vedder ,man there was a lot of people ,packed from crossing to the highway.Seen a few springs caught.I was out fishing for Coho damn pinks getting in the way.Seeing the springs being caught got me thinking could I catch springs on my rod? I have a Sage 9wt. Thought I'd come check on here,and look! the topic is already started lol.I love catching salmon on my rod arm gets sore but fun.What LBS test you guys running for a leader to catch springs?

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 11:25:08 AM »

i had 10lbs maxima but the chum and spring i got were not huge. it seemed to o the trick for me

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 07:08:12 PM »

If you targetting springs specifically i wouldnt go any heavier then 12lb test. this is plenty to land big fish. I usually use 10lb when targetting them or if there is loads in the run im fishing. If im targetting coho then i fish 8lb as the norm.
Check out our new blog

mikeH

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 07:56:42 PM »

So Springs will hit coho flies like the muddler?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 09:11:20 PM »

you would be shocked at what some fish will hit  ;D I have caught fish on flies not designed for their species lots of times. Like fishing for cutties i like to start off with a coho fly actually LOL then move on to cutty flies but i dont fish for them much so... and YES to your question. springs will hit rolled muddlers no problem, in all actuality springs will normally hit anything thats in their face  ;D there really isnt much skill to catching them besides getting and keeping your fly down in the zone, the tricky part is landing them  :o

MikeH - go to a look in the coho fly fishing thread, i posted a picture of my beadhead rolled muddler. this is the fly i have nailed loads of springs on (mostly jacks). you can tie them like they are and just cut the deer hair off more on the river or you can trim it back lots at home. I trim them at home now but fully dressed ones will work really well sometimes as well  ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:35:53 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

abbott101

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 10:06:19 PM »

do u guys think that size matters whne targetting springs or does it vary from water conditions?? heres a black and blue and black and orange intruder i tied for springs what do u think??

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »

So Springs will hit coho flies like the muddler?

Last 2 jack springs I got were on Mickey Fins.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 10:51:30 PM »

Abbott if you can find some water to yourself you can actually cast those things then have at er  ;D however make sure you have some small stuff with you also especially when there is so much being thrown at them now. I would have tried intruders when the springs were alot fresher near the beginning of September because they would be more aggressive. I think i may skip this year for spey springs because of all the pinks around and give it a go next year when the crowds will be WAY LESS
Check out our new blog

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 10:53:39 PM »

Abbott if you can find some water to yourself you can actually cast those things then have at er  ;D however make sure you have some small stuff with you also especially when there is so much being thrown at them now. I would have tried intruders when the springs were alot fresher near the beginning of September because they would be more aggressive. I think i may skip this year for spey springs because of all the pinks around and give it a go next year when the crowds will be WAY LESS

and more water. These fish are all so spooked with the low water. Think of what these springs have to go through to get up river. Some of the water they have to go across is only a couple inches deep. Imagine the energy they use up going through that. We need rain!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family