Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shorefishing for Coho in Lower Fraser?  (Read 2006 times)

RJD

Shorefishing for Coho in Lower Fraser?
« on: September 25, 2009, 06:45:27 PM »

This is my first year fishing the Fraser. I caught a few pinks during the run, and I'm wondering if Coho can be caught with spinning gear from shore at spots like Deas Island, Garry Point, No. 4 road, etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Shorefishing for Coho in Lower Fraser?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »

They absolutely can, however success rate is a lot lower than the pink salmon fishery due to the number of returning fish. The Fraser River coho fishery is not opened yet, so ALL coho salmon (both hatchery and wild) are required to be released right now. The tidal portion is expected to be opened for coho salmon retention on October 10th, a fishery notice will be issued for that soon.

During the coho salmon fishery, you can spincast lures, flyfish, or bottom fish with roe. Certain spots produce better than others as fish have a tendency to slow down and hold there. Fishing for them over time will reveal these spots. :)

Best fishing period is in the first three weeks of October, however November can be just as productive at times.

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
Re: Shorefishing for Coho in Lower Fraser?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:42:53 AM »

For the lower fraser I've only bar fished for coho. Very lazy way to fish as you just cast roe out to the bottom and wait by your rod. Best done with friends and beer !!
Of course you have to wait for the bait ban to lift in mid october
As soon as I can afford to go fishing everyday, it's time to retire.