Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Right hand Baitcaster  (Read 6347 times)

funpig

Re: Right hand Baitcaster
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 04:48:49 PM »

Tradition.  I copied the following from Wikipedia - Fishing Reels:

Bait casting reel
Bait casting reels are reels in which line is stored on a bearing supported revolving spool. The bait casting reel is mounted above the rod, hence its other (though rarely used) name, the overhead reel. The bait casting reel dates from at least the mid-1600s, but came into wide use by amateur anglers during the 1870s. Early bait casting reels were often constructed with brass or iron gears, with casings and spools made of brass, German silver, or hard rubber. Early reels were often operated by inverting the reel and using back winding to retrieve line. For this reason, the reel crank handle was positioned on the right side of the reel.[6] As a result, the right-hand crank position for bait casting reels has become customary over the years, though models with left-hand retrieve are now gaining in popularity.

funpig

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »

You can have the same debate about flyfishing reels.  I cast right handed and have the reel knobs on the right hand side (ie retrieve right handed).  When I bought my first fly rod, I asked the shop to set me up for left handed retrieve.  The shopkeeper gave me a strange look and said it was easier to retrieve the other way.  I used the left handed retrieve for a while and did find that while stripping and handling the line, the line would sometimes get caught up with the left side knobs.  Then I watched "A River Runs Through It" again and noticed that Brad Pitt (or his double) cast right handed but had a right hand retrieve reel.  So I switched my reel over to right hand retrieve.  Now I am used to it.

I use a right hand retrieve on my baitcaster.  I cast right and actually like switching to left for the drift or fight.  I get less fatigued.  I also find that it is easier to just use the left hand to hold the rod and the right hand to retrieve while fighting a fish.

On the other hand, I cast right but retrieve left with a spinning rod.

One reason I have shied away from buying a centerpin is because I have no idea which way to set up the reel.

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »

thanks for the input, i will take a look at those reels.  i'm a big fan of shimano and the torsa is super nice to hold and stuff.  but i will look at the others that you guys have mentioned.  thanks again.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 06:19:28 PM »

The fact is that most people in this world are right handed, and from polls I've seen on other fishing sites in the past, a large portion of the world reels right handed too.  It has a lot to do with our right hand being the most refined when it comes to motor skills, which allows us to reel faster right handed than we would with out left hand.

I'm one of those who casts with his right hand, switches to his left hand, and then reels with his right hand.  Would it be EASIER if I was efficient at casting with my right hand, and then reeling with my left hand?  Yes.  But it's not easier for me, and I'm fairly certain no matter how much practice time I spent I'll always be a right-handed caster and reeler.  I'm naturally right-handed.

Cheers,
Tex

Ditto when fishing gear, but I reel and strip left when fly fishing- probably because the rod is always mending line whenever there's a current or a breeze and that requires precise motor skills that my left hand just doesn't possess.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 06:24:46 PM by Matt »

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 06:42:43 PM »

Abu Ambassadeur c6501 is an awesome reel, and very reasonably priced (especially if you look on EBAY) and it will last forever if you treat it right

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 09:19:46 AM »

If you grew up near the ocean and fished with Islander reels, the early Islanders were right hand only.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »

baitcasters(levelwind) - cast left handed, reel right handed = no hand switching
centre pin - cast left, reel right (fish a Silex so it is only right hand anyways) = no hand switching
spinning rod - cast rigth,reel left = no hand switching
fly rod - cast right handed,reel and strip lefty = no hand switching
spey rod - cast with both hands and reel is setup for right hand retrieve = not really much hand switching depending on river direction.

when i started fly fishing especially my reel was setup right hand reeling and i found that i lost fish trying to switch hands either missing strikes right after the fly hit the water or when the fish got slack while bringing it in  :(

I find im on the ball alot more when i dont have to switch hands. even when drift fishing i have caught fish almost instantly when it hits the water and also the fact i can start controlling my drifts instantly because there is no hand switching.

just some food for thought  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 12:32:20 PM »

--if you want to get comfortable with a switch you have to practice.
--go down to your local fishing shop and offer to spool reels for the day in stead of using a their machine.

--Kind of like practicing your cast, soon learn a comfortable technique and fun to hang out in the shop for a day or two.
--

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 12:46:28 PM »

One reason I have shied away from buying a centerpin is because I have no idea which way to set up the reel.

I cast a fly rod right and reel right but I have started using the center pin and cast left and reel right, give it a try it is very nice to use.