Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Nation BS  (Read 22745 times)

roeman

First Nation BS
« on: September 23, 2009, 06:38:18 PM »

Never put alot of thought into the topics complaining about FN actions..
That has changed drastically.
Out on the river last night and witnessed a 22' to 24' aluminum skift type boat used to transport the large
blue bins they use to carry the fish, on board two of lovely land loving creatures throwing out pinks while floating down the river.
Watched for at least five minutes, and they never stopped throwing, imagine how many fish that would be and that is
just what we saw.
Never thought I could say this about another person, but if I saw one of the bastards drowning I don't think I would even
give them a second look.
I know it is a roe fishery, but do they need to throw out the fish. I guess they are not that hungry, all you here from them is
how poor the sockeye run was and the their people will be struggling through the winter.. Eat the pinks cupcakes heads...

Yes.. I phoned in a report.  As if they don't already know that they throw them out...
This is the first time I have ever witnessed first hand something so wastefull.
Sure has changed the way I feel about FN
Hope they choke on the sockeye bones..

Are you fishin or catchin

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
Re: First Nation BS
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »

saw that 2 years ago on the last pink run on the lower fraser. kept the sockeyes but basically threw away the pinks ....tons floating belly up down river. And when all their caught sockeye didn't sell along the roadside they would just chuck the dead fish in the bush. not one or two but 50-60 at a time. And they wonder why theres no respect for them. Just claim hardship. the goverment of canada will help you every time. Sorry guys but this kind of waste does piss me off every time i see it. :-[

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:36:21 PM »

and they tell is everyone is even in canada ::)

4x4

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 07:57:55 PM »

It is a total waste.

About 3 Pink cycles ago I almost got into a fight with a bunch of natives at Island 22 when I saw them throwing out DEAD male Pinks from there bins. All the females where being slit open, eggs taken out and then tossed. Sickening. From what we saw this year they now just pick the males out of the net as they take them in. The end result is the same, those fish are dead.

With low Sockeye numbers you'd think they might want to keep some Pinks for their food. Yeah right. Three clients of mine in Surrey and Langley were offered Sockeye to buy for 12.00/fish a month ago.

At the end of the day it's all about the almighty dollar and at the expense of fish.

Nitroholic

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 08:09:49 PM »

What do they want with the roe ???

camtheman

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 08:16:58 PM »

it gets sold to pet food companies and probably some restaurants too

makes me sick

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:21:01 PM »

on a more positive note, all those fish are going back into the eco system :-\

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:25:44 PM »

you can usually drive down to the reserve and buy large bags of already frozen roe also  ;) saves having to go collecting it yourself  ::) ::)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 08:26:48 PM »

Such a waste of resources.  I blame DFO for allowing this to happen. If they want the males they could give them to the food bank. I'm sure that alot of the users of the food bank would appreciate some fresh fish.

4x4

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 08:33:37 PM »

The biggest portion of Pink roe goes to Japan. It apparently fetches a pretty good dollar there.

Hue-nut a more positive note is that all those dead fish could spawn.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 09:05:01 PM »

I'm sure the dinos are enjoying them.

Spooner

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 09:18:13 AM »

Saw some white guys poaching in Ladner in Aug tehy had a tote full of sockeye. does that mean all white guys are poachers?
Not to me!!!
What these people are doing is wrong but it happens in all walks of life. Report it like I did, then let it go. BIGOT!
I know some guys who didn't even dip a net this summer (damn FN's)

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 10:10:34 AM »

Seen the same thing on the Harrison- huge piles of dead fish in a couple feet of water.  I wish they'd smoke them up.

Lets not go back to the FN arguments- no matter how you look at it, its a shltty situation for both parties.

silverslab

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 11:04:40 AM »

I think if they want to fish for food, they should have a set amount they are permitted and every time they do something stupid like this that amount should be dropped, if the DFO was to actually go out and hand out tickets every time they saw an offence, that money would cover more officers and if it doesn't then increase the fines. I cant stand that,  whine about needing to fish for food, and then throw away perfectly good food.  Even it they dont want to eat the pinks, they could smoke them and sell it alongside the sockey huts that seem to pop up every summer

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 12:18:48 PM »

Saw some white guys poaching in Ladner in Aug tehy had a tote full of sockeye. does that mean all white guys are poachers?
Not to me!!!
What these people are doing is wrong but it happens in all walks of life. Report it like I did, then let it go. BIGOT!
I know some guys who didn't even dip a net this summer (damn FN's)

I think what makes the situation worse is if I as a white guy were to poach and get caught, i would receive punishment which is good.  It appears as though if FN's do this, they get the blind eye.  I myself have never seen a FN do this so cant really say if its true but thats the vibe I get.