Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48

Author Topic: NHL Smack Talk 09-10  (Read 183075 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: NHL Smack Talk 09-10
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2009, 05:39:49 PM »

id rather cheer for a great steelhead run so I can catch one in the vedder this year so if leafs dont make the playoffs again i wont be disappointed with fishing this winter ;D  :D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »

The 'Nucks may not have won a Cup but atleast they've put up a competative team in the past decade, winning their conference 3 times. Toronto's won thier conference once in the same time frame. I'd rather cheer for a team that wins now than a team that won way back then. LOL

Dion nailed it!!

Watching a team thats competitive is what its all about. The Leafs have not been competitive in a very long time. Sportsnet held a poll today about Toronto sports team. The question was Which Toronto team is reeling the most?
a) Leafs
b) Argos
C) Raptors
d) Blue Jays

It was an overwhelming response with over 50% going to the Leafs.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »

Hanging your hat on a cup won almost 100 years ago by a completely different team is almost as bad as what the Leafs fans preach.  ;D

My point exactly !

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2009, 07:42:45 PM »

id rather cheer for a great steelhead run so I can catch one in the vedder this year so if leafs dont make the playoffs again i wont be disappointed with fishing this winter ;D  :D

Don't worry, you will lots of time to go steelheading and golfing ......again  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2009, 08:59:24 PM »

GM place will be full of Leaf fans in a weeks time and you will hear the Leaf chant that will drown out any attempt by the other team's fans to muffle it. ;D I will have a pre game meeting with the squad that will help seal a win. ;D ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2009, 09:03:04 PM »

You Leafs fans may be loud an obnoxious but that wont help you win.

SMo007

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2009, 09:52:29 PM »

I hate to burst your bubble Bryan and Dion but i think it's time for a little dose of reality. Now the friends I have that are leafs fans are pretty bad, but my friends who are Canucks fans take the cake. Now obviously growing up here I have alot of friends who are Canuck fans, and who, like yourselves, believe the Canucks put out a competitive team and have a chance to win the cup every year, but do they really? I mean yes they have moments that certainly warrent thinking like that but look at the big picture.(And if your saying they're competitive by comparing them to the Leafs well then that's not saying much. I think we as a group could compete with the Leafs) Now I could be wrong here but with the exception of an amazing, though improbable run in '82 (which at the time I was a big Canuck fan. Gradin was my favorite Canuck) and a great run in '94 which they really should have won, they have never made it past the second round in their entire history. Never. So how exactly are they a competitive team. Is it because they have won a couple of first in the the division over the last handful of years? Come on, we all know that's just window dressing and what everybody really wants is playoff success; specifically a Stanley Cup. And that my friends the Canucks just don't  accomplish. Again I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone, and I admire your passion for your team (for a long time I was silly enough to believe, and still do, that Dallas is going to win another SuperBowl) it's just my 2 cents. That and the fact I like arguing with Canuck fans. ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2009, 09:54:56 PM »

I will have a pre game meeting with the squad that will help seal a win. ;D ;D

You had several conference calls and how did it turn out ? ;D The Leafs might have a chance if you were on the roster. I think I'll give Coach Wilson a call. :) :)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2009, 10:06:10 PM »

I hate to burst your bubble Bryan and Dion but i think it's time for a little dose of reality. Now the friends I have that are leafs fans are pretty bad, but my friends who are Canucks fans take the cake. Now obviously growing up here I have alot of friends who are Canuck fans, and who, like yourselves, believe the Canucks put out a competitive team and have a chance to win the cup every year, but do they really? I mean yes they have moments that certainly warrent thinking like that but look at the big picture.(And if your saying they're competitive by comparing them to the Leafs well then that's not saying much. I think we as a group could compete with the Leafs) Now I could be wrong here but with the exception of an amazing, though improbable run in '82 (which at the time I was a big Canuck fan. Gradin was my favorite Canuck) and a great run in '94 which they really should have won, they have never made it past the second round in their entire history. Never. So how exactly are they a competitive team. Is it because they have won a couple of first in the the division over the last handful of years? Come on, we all know that's just window dressing and what everybody really wants is playoff success; specifically a Stanley Cup. And that my friends the Canucks just don't  accomplish. Again I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone, and I admire your passion for your team (for a long time I was silly enough to believe, and still do, that Dallas is going to win another SuperBowl) it's just my 2 cents. That and the fact I like arguing with Canuck fans. ;)

Your not quite getting it.

If you go to a Canucks game you know they have a chance to win every night. If you buy Leafs tickets your pretty much praying for a win as most nights they will lose and wont have a prayer at winning. Its not just playoff success its success during the regular season as well. Its what gives you hope. Without success in the regular season their is no hope and not very entertaining.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2009, 10:42:54 PM »

Totally agree with BB's comments.  As a staunch supporter of the Canucks, I, like the majority of Canuck fans feel there's always a chance that Vancouver has a good chance of success because of whose on the team and the way they play but I doubt anyone would bet the farm they will win the Cup. However, their chances in a 30 team league appear to be better than most of the teams.  Put it this way I'd rather cheer for a team that can win its dividion than one who is at the bottom of the heap most years in theirs.

Also, when the Canucks play poorly I have no problem calling a spade a spade which from what I've seen in this town is the norm.  We're not blind and we don't hide our feelings.  And just because we tend to give them crap every now and then when things don't go our way doesn't mean we've taken a single step off the band wagon.  Of course, I'm only speaking of the tried and true fans who follow the team day in and day out.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2009, 12:40:20 AM »

Don't worry, you will lots of time to go steelheading and golfing ......again  ;D

LOL. that I will sir.lol. ;D

SMo007

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2009, 01:25:32 PM »

Your not quite getting it.

If you go to a Canucks game you know they have a chance to win every night. If you buy Leafs tickets your pretty much praying for a win as most nights they will lose and wont have a prayer at winning. Its not just playoff success its success during the regular season as well. Its what gives you hope. Without success in the regular season their is no hope and not very entertaining.

I do get what your saying, I guess I just see things differently. The first thing we should do is take the leafs right out of the equation. You, I, and (whether they'll admit to it or not) Leafs fans all know they are not a good team. So as far as current success they just isn't a comparison to be made. From my point of view, unless there is a trophy for winning the league (like English football) then the only real purpose of the league is seeding for the playoffs. And yes I am aware of the presidents trophy, and I realize it is an accomplishment, I just don't put much stock in. Would any true fan say well we didn't win the Stanley Cup, but who cares cause we won the Presidents trophy? If the Canucks win one game then yes you get the momentary elation, but your more concerned about where it puts you in the division/conference. I would question the overall competitiveness of a team like the Canucks who usually do quite well in the league and set themselves up well only to fail miserable on a consistent basis. Where is the competitiveness in the playoffs when it really counts. I don't expect, nor am I trying to sway you, to see things my way, it's just the way I see things. Put it this way, A couple of years back Dallas went 13-3 in the league and were penciled in for a SuperBowl trip. They ended up losing in the first round, and as far as I'm concerned it was not a successful year. I can't tell you how many division titles they've won, but I sure know they've won 5 Superbowls. That's the point I was trying to make. We might just have to agree to disagree on this one. And speaking of football, get your picks in if you haven't already.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2009, 08:46:22 PM »

Looks like we will have easy picking next Saturday after tonight game for your boys. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2009, 09:12:20 PM »

Looks like we will have easy picking next Saturday after tonight game for your boys. ;D ;D

Spoke to coach Wilson today. He would like to start you in goal next Saturday. ;D As to the Canucks tonight is just a blimp. We will be rolling, rolling rolling tomorrow. ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2009, 10:05:24 PM »

Canucks win and Leafs lose. Great day today LOL

If your a Leafs fan you gotta be putting that brown paper bag over your head by now  ;D

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48