Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undercover Fisheries Officers.  (Read 11459 times)

funpig

Undercover Fisheries Officers.
« on: September 12, 2009, 09:10:09 PM »

FYI, there are a bunch of conservation officers walking around the various fishing spots in the south arm of the Fraser.   Earlier in the week, they were in uniform checking licenses, hooks and catches.  Yesterday, they were dressed up as fisherman.  They would come up and ask how is the fishing and then they would show their identification and check you out.

patagonia

Re: Undercover Fisheries Officers.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:53:39 PM »

Great to see... we need more of them

mr.p

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 10:13:36 PM »

That is fantastic!  Send them over to the vedder.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 10:24:13 PM »

i  got checked  in july and  another time two weeks ago in the north arm    . the first time   they said  they wanted  to get into fishing sport  . when i showed him  the baitloop   they were really only interested  in the barbless hook.

Daniel

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 04:46:41 AM »

I've never seen a CO on the Vedder (in 2.5 years) which I feel is pretty strange.  My only encounter was in the West Kootenays where there are something like two CO's for the whole region.  Bring 'em on though!

barnun

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 08:11:12 AM »

i've never been checked - ever.

maybe its cause i never stay and fish around more than a person or two, i don't know. I have no proof that they even exsist!

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 10:02:57 AM »

I was on the vedder maybe 4yrs ago and they were checking cars on the way down from the upper river on the bridge, that was awsome seeing some guys get 4 springs ripped out of their truck as well as many other fish they shouldnt have but only saw that once, sure was nice to see.

I like the undercover idea though

RVT

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:14:28 AM »

Great to see more C.O.'s around, but don't forget we can all help by using the RAPP line when we see something illegal. With the gong show that will be on the Vedder in the next couple of weeks they can't be everwhere.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 11:26:14 AM »

FYI, there are a bunch of conservation officers walking around the various fishing spots in the south arm of the Fraser.   Earlier in the week, they were in uniform checking licenses, hooks and catches.  Yesterday, they were dressed up as fisherman.  They would come up and ask how is the fishing and then they would show their identification and check you out.

Why would they bother? Undercover work is only good for catching people, not in prevention.
There are so few officers that I'm sure they can catch as many as they want since a significant number of fishers don't know the regs.
I would rather see one officer out in the open than a bunch dressed as fishermen.

Derek Mcl

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 02:32:54 PM »

Undercover has a very effective psychological effect.  Once the word spreads that there are undercover fish cops lurking about the popular bars, those with questionable ethics will be constantly watching over their shoulders in paranoia, wondering whether the guy to their left or right might be undercover.  As a result, they may be less likely to offend.  It is a very effective use of resources because there doesn't actually have to be an enforcement presence on a particular bar to work its magic.  Its a great way to leverage the work force DFO does have.

robj

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 05:18:16 PM »

Great to hear.  Hope to see them at the Vedder.  I have not been checked there in the last 10 years. 

Have a great day

Rob.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 07:56:47 PM »

Undercover has a very effective psychological effect.  Once the word spreads that there are undercover fish cops lurking about the popular bars, those with questionable ethics will be constantly watching over their shoulders in paranoia, wondering whether the guy to their left or right might be undercover.  As a result, they may be less likely to offend.  It is a very effective use of resources because there doesn't actually have to be an enforcement presence on a particular bar to work its magic.  Its a great way to leverage the work force DFO does have.
Very well said Derek!  8)

mr.p

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 08:16:22 PM »

Exactly!
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »

Got checked on the Nitinat River a number of years ago.  No problems at all having them out and about. 

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 08:17:16 AM »

There is no psychological effect if the individual doesn't know they're doing something wrong.
I've seen way more people ignorant of the regs than people intentionally fishing illegally.
Education is more powerful than enforcement.