Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undercover Fisheries Officers.  (Read 11460 times)

fishon87

Re: Undercover Fisheries Officers.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 11:41:04 AM »

I agree with typhoon it took quite a bit of searching on the internet for me to find the regulations

funpig

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 02:09:17 PM »

Ignorant people may be caught by either uniformed or undercover officers because they don't know any better.  It is those who should know better who knowingly break the rules that are being targeted by the undercover officers.  These cheaters will openly break the rules in front of other fisherman because they know it is unlikely they will do anything about it, but will quickly change their practice when they see a uniform in the distance so they don't get caught.  IMO, the only way these cheaters will get caught is if the officers go undercover.   And maybe if it becomes common knowledge that an undercover officer can sneak up on you at anytime will be a deterrant for these cheaters in the future.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 02:30:19 PM by funpig »

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »

There is no psychological effect if the individual doesn't know they're doing something wrong.
I've seen way more people ignorant of the regs than people intentionally fishing illegally.
Education is more powerful than enforcement.

Maybe if the people mentioned here see what's going on they might take the time to actually read the regs instead of just pleading ignorance.

Hello

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 08:46:10 PM »

I have seen CO officers on numerous occasions during Steelhead season on the Vedder.  I also know that they do have both undercover COs and RCMP officers fishing the Vedder ocassionally.  I am always happy to see them and they are always friendly and willing to share info they have collected from other fishermen.  In fact most of these guys are fishermen themselves so you just never know I guess.  Good Luck and down with snaggers! :o

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 10:46:29 AM »

.   And maybe if it becomes common knowledge that an undercover officer can sneak up on you at anytime will be a deterrant for these cheaters in the future.

And posting it on the internet will make common knowledge "appear" real - even if there are no such things as undercover officers.

Bring on the fear lol

Gaffer

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 12:47:49 PM »

I agree with typhoon it took quite a bit of searching on the internet for me to find the regulations
Did you check your nearest fishing supply store?---- Cheers

Derek Mcl

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 09:48:36 PM »

I'm happy to volunteer my time to educate the ignorant ones that I see.  It's the ones that threaten to beat the crap out of me because they know darned will they are breaking the law that DFO Psy-Ops is targeting.

There is no psychological effect if the individual doesn't know they're doing something wrong.
I've seen way more people ignorant of the regs than people intentionally fishing illegally.
Education is more powerful than enforcement.

Richmond

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 12:16:27 PM »

heard rumors of filming at shady island.

fisherwithrod

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 11:48:16 AM »

In my opinion, education and prevention are the key factors that can lead to a better conservation of the fishery as a public resource. Enforcement can work in some cases, but I think that 1) many people don't know enough of the regulations, 2) many are not aware of sustainable fishing practices, and 3) many think that there is a slim chance being caught while doing something wrong.

In my opinion, these things happen because:
For item (1), many see the fish as a public resource that we can consume, we have an absolute right to it and that's that.
For item (2), there is no sense of ethics because we, as human beings, have barely mastered the ethic of the person-to-person relationship, and the person-to-society ethic. On the other hand, the ethic of the relationship of person-to-nature, to natural resources and, in general, to everything that is not private property, I suppose that it is not part of our moral code yet. That is why everyone knows not to disturb someone's property, but at the same time, something that is no one's property we want right away to be ours and we want as much of it as we need.
For item (3), how many officers can cover how many streams and lakes in this huge province?

I understand that education takes money and resources, but I truly believe that, even if I have to pay higher licensing fees, I'd rather see this going towards an education program which could be part of obtaining a fishing license. Like the driver's license. No test, no license. No knowledge of fishing practices, no license. This is one way of instituting in our collective culture and morals, the ethic of the person vs. nature relationship.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:41:18 PM by fisherwithrod »

Stu

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »

I understand that education takes money and resources, but I truly believe that, even if I have to pay higher licensing fees, I'd rather see this going towards an education program which could be part of obtaining a fishing license. Like the driver's license. No test, no license. No knowledge of fishing practices, no license. This is one way of instituting in our collective culture and morals, the ethic of the person vs. nature relationship.

I agree with you 100%.
When I moved here from Germany I was amazed how cheap a fishing license is here in BC. And even more amazed that it didn't require any test of knowledge to get it.
In Germany it costs over $1000,-  just to get your license ( it is for lifetime). It involves going to curses and learn to identify almost any fish species you could encounter, and fish handling, and ethics, and many many other things.
I don't think It should be that expensive here but it should require some form of education about fishing before you can get your license.

Just my $0.02
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

fisherwithrod

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 10:43:55 PM »

Keeping the discussion on the topic - the fisheries officers check sometimes the daily limit quotas, and I guess that there is a reasoning for this somewhere, but I honestly think that the respective reasoning wasn't thought all the way through.

There are people that go fishing a few times a season, for various reasons - distance, time, whatever. There are also people that go fishing a few times a week during the entire season, because they live right by the river, they have more free time, whatever.

Now one can see that there is no point in checking the 2nd guy for his daily quota, right? Because he can be very respectful and never bring home more than 4 salmon in a day. But, if he is a good (read: efficient) fisherman and goes fishing so often, how much will he deplete the resource over the season? How can that be considered a reasonable fishing practice, and be taxed (license'd) the same as the 1st guy, who will never have a chance to catch/keep as many fish as the 2nd guy, even if he would break the law and keep more than his daily quota?

Undercover fisheries officers can do a job only as much as it is required from them. Perhaps there is more to be thought about the fishing licenses regulations and improved on...

Stu

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 10:54:31 PM »

The reasoning that the recreational fishing is responsible for low fish return rates and not enough fish in the stream is just silly.
Have you ever seen a commercial ship pull out a net? Because that is the reason of the fish depletion not the recreational fishery, you could be sitting out there and fish as much as you wanted, it just couldn't compare to what Commercial fisheries doing to the wildlife.
I am not saying that we should not obey the rules, in the contrary I wish everyone would obey them, I just don't believe that recreational fishing has a significant impact in diminishing fish stocks. Oh and don't forget the fishfarms......
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 07:40:48 AM »

The reasoning that the recreational fishing is responsible for low fish return rates and not enough fish in the stream is just silly.
Have you ever seen a commercial ship pull out a net? Because that is the reason of the fish depletion not the recreational fishery, you could be sitting out there and fish as much as you wanted, it just couldn't compare to what Commercial fisheries doing to the wildlife.
I am not saying that we should not obey the rules, in the contrary I wish everyone would obey them, I just don't believe that recreational fishing has a significant impact in diminishing fish stocks. Oh and don't forget the fishfarms......

If you were to look at a pie chart I think you would see the rec guys have a bigger piece than you suspect. Have you driven a boat from the mouth up river?  I'm not saying we take more than a commercial guy but we take alot !

cohojoe

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 12:14:39 PM »

We encountered some eastern european seniors who  gear fished over their possession quotas at Link Lake near Princeton.   We did not report them;  maybe we should have.    Or maybe we should have showed them the regulations  in the booklet form .    I do not know the answer .    The area for the C.O. is so big and diverse in any given B.C. area.     Some times when you confront the offender they get really angry and perhaps violent.    We have seen this a couple of times this year while freshwater and saltwater fishing.   So we back off now  because it is not our  job to enforce the laws.  Maybe a short course before getting the fishing licence would be a good thing.    Helps also in salmon species i.d.  during those times you get  socks,  pinks ,  overlapping.    It is pretty obvioius when you get a chum,  chinook,  coho,  sturgeon.  etc.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 05:11:35 PM »

Even in uniforms, COs can still catch people fishing illegally. They were there on Surrey dock late afternoon a few days ago and nailed two guys w/o licenses. Good job.