Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save Bear Creek and King Creek!  (Read 6411 times)

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
Save Bear Creek and King Creek!
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:28:47 PM »

The city of Surrey, plans to build a four lane highway through a section of Bear Creek Park at 84th avenue.  It's got two salmon streams...the last in Surrey with WILD coho in it!  They figure they can just build a bridge over it and it will be fine.  Good grief!  Please sign the petition at www.savebearcreekpark.com

Thanks for your support!
Hi ho Hi ho...It's off to Fish I go!

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
Re: Save Bear Creek and King Creek!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »

I thought they voted this down a couple years ago !

I guess there trying for it again  ?

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:00:26 AM »

They have already destroyed enough of Surrey, so few park areas left.  This hopefully will work.

Gaffer

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 11:56:14 AM »

They have already destroyed enough of Surrey, so few park areas left.  This hopefully will work.
Ever met Dianne Watts and the Surrey Muni Council------ much luck!

fish bonk

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 11:30:09 PM »

Isn't there slogan "Surrey City of Parks"  :o

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 09:49:24 PM »

yes this is the 4th time in 20-25 years they are trying this.  The group I helped to form, Friends of Bear Creek Park Community Action Network, is trying tooth and nail to bring it down again.  Last time it was only 2 years ago.  John Werring from David Suzuki Foundation has been supporting us, with his views in the media.  (see SurreyLeader.com front page today, and online).  We are having a public meeting/rally on Oct 2, 7pm at Bear Creek Community Church 8383-140st Surrey.  All you Surrey anglers, who care about the future of wild coho in our local streams, I'd love for you to take an hour to come out and support us!  Bare minimum, please sign our petition at www.savebearcreekpark.com

ps. don't believe the bs in the media either...unlike what the Province reported...it's not a 25m road..it's 75 they are planning.  With TWO bridges spanning Bear Creek and King Creek.  Not to mention the road ends at 128th and is single lane from 144th...it's a highway to no where and a huge waste of money!  Thanks for your support guys!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:01:17 PM »

Do you have link to their proposed road building plan?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 09:13:44 AM »

I read somewhere that Diane Watts is in favour of saving the park

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »

http://surrey.ihostez.com/Documents/DocumentList.aspx?ID=21629

Here is the link for the corporate report from city of Surrey's website.  Beware of false statements that they make. ie.  They claim 88th and King George Hwy is a dangerous intersection, with many fatal/injury accidents per year, top 10 in BC...however, we went to the RCMP (publicly avail information) and found out that it has only had 35 accidents this year, not near the 200 some claim, and none were fatal, and only 5 had injuries reported.  Other untruths...the park ends at 84th ave.  This is not true, we have bylaws and corporate reports showing that the land owned and purchased by the city, were purchased for the use of expanding Bear Creek Park.  67% in a poll say they support 84th ave extension...the question was very skewed so the answers would benefit the city.  They talk about minimal impact on the park, yet, they want to build a 4 lane highway through it, AND they only have a 10 meter right of way, but are planning to build 25 meters.  This document is filled with untruths, and they have not done a thorough environmental impact study.  We have a representative from David Suzuki Foundation that states that the damage can not be mitigated, and that it would leave an imprint of 75m for a 25 m road. over 400 trees will be cut, this is information based on the City's own tree counts. I hope you can make it to our Rally.  Oct 2 @7pm.  8383-140st. 

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 07:28:05 AM »

Think of all the homeless who could live under those bridges. :)

I signed the petition.... again. Will try to get out there on Friday too.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 06:05:06 PM »

Think of all the homeless who could live under those bridges. :)

I signed the petition.... again. Will try to get out there on Friday too.

All the homeless people alread do on 140th there, I ride my bike there every day to clean it up a little bit and there's always a new set of tracks.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 06:39:12 PM »

For all those interested Surrey City council voted 8-1 in favor of no 4 lane highway going through Bear Creek Park. The park has been saved and I want to thank everyone involved. I grew up across the street from the park and spent my entire childhood playing in this park. I cant believe something like this would have even been considered.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

kodiak

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »

That's great to hear.

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »

Yes, the Council voted it down 8-1 under immense pressure and scrutiny from the public and the press.  We are still fighting this, as we don't need it to come back in two more years...which inevitably, it will until the road right of way is removed.  Please continue to sign the petition.  Thank you for your support everyone and tight lines to all!

UFC

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 09:38:12 PM »

My guess is it will come back in a few more years. Traffic is getting worse, so there will be lots of pressure.
I'm not sure why they can't put a road through further south (say 72nd Avenue area?) that would be less harmful.