Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing with wool  (Read 12992 times)

jon5hill

Fishing with wool
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:59:09 PM »

Do people do this just to make the hook legal/take the hook off the ground? Is it to get the line more or less horizontal so it has a better chance of going through the fishes mouth so you can set the hook? Or does the wool get recognized as something and attacked?

one more cast

Re: Fishing with wool
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 01:06:35 PM »

Do people do this just to make the hook legal/take the hook off the ground? Is it to get the line more or less horizontal so it has a better chance of going through the fishes mouth so you can set the hook? Or does the wool get recognized as something and attacked?

Jon, my understanding is that it simulates fish eggs.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:07:36 PM »

Wool get attacked for sure if fished properly in a dead drift (fly flishing with a short leader) or short floating for sure. I have seen fresh chummies on the Squamish turn around and chase it. Usually very small sparse ties cut and shaped into an egg, various shades work. Definately not just a flossers tool! I know some guys who use wool as much if not more than roe on the Vedder because if fished properly wool can be just as effective. :o
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 01:10:14 PM by dereke »
always a student

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »

-try something different: When fishing an area that has a lot of pressure sometimes anything other than what everyone else using will work

--I have added wool to several lures, spoons or even bare hook to give it a different look.

--Wool may give you an excta second to set the hook, on toothy fish the wool will stick a bit, also soften the hard spoon and give you extra time where hook set is necessary.
--easy and cheap way to add different colour, action to your spoon or spinner.
--also can be used to create single egg pattern on a fly hook or other drift hook. again change to different colours may entice a strike in the same area that you just cast without success.

one more cast

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:58:17 PM »

I've had some of my best coho fishing in October using an black wool tie with a spot of orange...my halloween special ;D ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 02:20:43 PM »

when I started fishing the chehalis, yarn ties were my favorite lure especially once it got light out.  I know my dad's fav steelhead presentation is a jensen egg and tuft of wool and winter steel loves his gooeybob with wool...definiely a legitimate lure.

BUT

It is also one of the most abused lures too.  There is no doubt in my mind that lots of fishers on the vedder who use wool are simply flossing the fish.  You can see it in their drifts, the lengths of their leaders, the gobs of wool that hang off the hook, their skeens left lieing on the beach (thanks very much)...wool is definitely an abused "lure".  

With the way the last 3 summers have gone (no socks), I wish DFO would simply ban flossing outright.  The level of degridation flossing creates to our rivers (all the line, weights and snags), the degridation to the level of sportmsmanship (there is nothing sporting about snagging a fish), and the degridation to fishing experience (people willing to stand 3 feet down stream from you....all these reasons make me think its time for a change.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:53:41 PM »

It is also one of the most abused lures too.  There is no doubt in my mind that lots of fishers on the vedder who use wool are simply flossing the fish.  You can see it in their drifts, the lengths of their leaders, the gobs of wool that hang off the hook, their skeens left lieing on the beach (thanks very much)...wool is definitely an abused "lure".  

Couldn't agree more gooey!
always a student

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »

I've had some great success in low clear conditions with single egg simulation, tuft of white wool with tiny spot of cerise, blown out and trimmed to about the size of a pea. When its in the water it has a very nice translucent quality to it, it almost pulses, add a little scent and it can be mint.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 08:08:17 PM »

I've fished with Matt above the Bucket on the Stamp, we were using huge gobs of wool.

We slayed the winters Steals that day.

barnun

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 08:19:03 PM »

i use wool sometimes, present it like an egg....not much of a success of coho for me personally, but springs/chum/pinks seem willing..

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »

people will say roe outfishes wool bar-none, but this year buddies and I have been fish 1 with roe, 1 with wool, wool is outfishing roe :)
small wool ties are killer for coho somedays as well

csny

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 10:45:03 PM »

springs/chum love wool.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »

i usually fish with a single jensen egg and little tiny peice of wool. either white, pink,yelow and orange mostly. I have caught most of my fish in that system along with the chehalis that way. small hooks too. last year it worked very well for me on the white springs. i only got one coho last year in the vedder tho.

koko

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 10:58:19 PM »

When every body short floating roe, a small piece of wool can do wonder.

mr.p

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 12:39:18 AM »

Wool can be deadly at the right times.  As already mentioned, sometimes something different does the trick.
When I do use wool, its usually a two colour combo with a bit of scent added, trimmed down to the size of a single egg.
One of my most productive steelhead baits, is a tuft of wool and a jensen egg.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...