Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing for coho  (Read 21302 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
fly fishing for coho
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:56:59 PM »

hello,

I have just got into fly fishing this year. Had a couple successful outings so far and Im hooked!. I am interested in learning about some flows (i know about the vedder but I dont know if I would i have room there to back cast and also so many people) where I could go fly fish for coho/spring. some techniques, presentation pointers and type of water to look out for will be much appreciated. Not looking for secret spots.

I have a 4pc 8wt sage flight with a lampson reel. does this rod have enough power for a big coho or average size spring?

Thank you in anticipation! :)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: fly fishing for coho
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:58:05 PM »

It will be fine for any coho but a bit on the weak side for springs. I use a 9/10 for springs.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:00:12 PM »

It will be fine for any coho but a bit on the weak side for springs. I use a 9/10 for springs.

thanks for the post. any other tips you willing to share? :)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:46:32 PM »

almost any run below the Vedder crossing will have ample back casting room and be the better water for fly fishing. you will primarily be using a sink tip for river fishing and some of the time with weighted flies. an 8wt is perfect for all smaller and medium sized salmonoid species. an 8wt is doable with bigger springs(20lbs +) but i wouldnt go after them all day because its not good for them or you but the odd one once in awhile especially if you plan to kill it can be done or you just point and snap it off. my biggest to date on the fly was close to 40lbs  :o i knew i was going to keep it which is the only reason i played it out, since then my biggest is around 15lbs cause i normally just bust them off instead.

If you know the Vedder then you should already know the popluar spots and for the not so popular spots you need to do some walking and searching.

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 07:05:43 PM »

Your rod will be fine for a big coho or average (10-20lb spring).  I actually like an 8wt better for fish this size.  I tend to lose the smaller fish I get more easily than the big ones, I attribute this to the lighter rod flexing more and absorbing more of the fight whereas a stiffer rod (relative to the fish of course) will have less damping and more spring to it....its not necessarily a "springier" rod.... I hope that makes sense.  Anyways I'd bet you would do fine with an 8...just make sure you have lots of backing, and don't be afraid to break a fish off if it starts to pull your pants down....you don't want to lose your line.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 01:51:21 AM »

thanks for the tips guys. i know the vedder pretty well. any other flows ideal for coho for fly fishing?how should you strip for a coho vs a spring or chum?

thanks again. :)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 07:27:05 AM »

fast strip no pause.  Faster strip than spring/pink or chum.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:19:53 AM »

what Marmot didnt add is. fast strip in slow to almost non moving water, in a good flow you can get them on the swing no problem as the fly is moving fast enough on its own. I catch lots of them on the swing myself. one thing you might notice though is that you might get more wild ones then hatchery ones. I have found this true every year fly fishing for coho (in the Vedder) you will probably also find you get quite a few jack springs because they just love little flies  ;D
Check out our new blog

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 11:36:12 AM »

what Marmot didnt add is. fast strip in slow to almost non moving water, in a good flow you can get them on the swing no problem as the fly is moving fast enough on its own. I catch lots of them on the swing myself. one thing you might notice though is that you might get more wild ones then hatchery ones. I have found this true every year fly fishing for coho (in the Vedder) you will probably also find you get quite a few jack springs because they just love little flies  ;D

thanks foe the info guys. it will be very helpful shortly! as far as water type is concerned do you have any recommendations/suggestions?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 01:18:23 PM »

Try the Harrison as well. Not the main flow but all the back channels. Its requires lots and lots of walking. Look for frog water and fish moving.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

mikeH

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 11:08:36 PM »

what pound test you guys running for leader? This is my first coho fishing yr.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 12:55:03 AM »

I start off with 8lb normally and if i find im not getting hits then i will go to 6lb however if im getting fish on the 8 and breaking off i will step up to 10lb which usually means no hits so i go back to the 8lb  ::) landing them on 6lb can be a task in the river though and you tend to tire out the fish to much for a good release (if you cant keep it) thats why i use heavier line.
Check out our new blog

mikeH

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 10:02:26 AM »

Thx hook.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 12:51:34 PM »

8lb and I have never had a problem. Short leaders around 3-4 feet.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

doja

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 12:59:25 PM »

8 lb or 10lb if the flow is faster with color, but remember to always check your leaders for damage from rocks and stuff.

Nothing worse than losing a fish due to beat up leaders and that's how I lose most of my fish.