Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing for coho  (Read 21300 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: fly fishing for coho
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 01:26:03 PM »

do you guys fish mostly pool type water for coho's on the fly? or shallower choppy stuff?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »

well coho water is kind of everything LOL they really like pocket water (hard with a fly rod) and frog water (almost like stillwater) but they will also sit along the edges of where the chinook and chum are and will mix in completely with them also (bigger coho mainly) I have caught them in all types of water. I dont go out specifically targetting coho water because i just like to go fishing but i do manage to get some anyhow  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 01:59:23 PM »

Actually I find it differently than what Hook describes it as. The coho I have found usually are nowhere near where the chum and springs are. The springs like the deep stuff and the coho will usually stay away from the springs and hug the edges. Just from my observations.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 02:11:46 PM »

LOL I did say that in my post BB  ;) coho will also occupy the tailouts of runs especially if big springs have taken over the deeper areas. Lets just say i have found them everywhere LOL but then again i have had huge numbers of big springs in less then 3 feet of water also but you couldnt see them sitting there which was awesome.  ;D I find i catch more jack springs when fly fishing then i do coho and the coho i get tend to be wild like say 5 to 1 needless to say i dont get very many hatchery coho which im fine with anyways cause i just like to fish and dont kill to much anymore.

Rhino - just go fishing, pick an area to explore and you will find some fish and if not then have other options. Unless you find a great spot right away then try different areas each time which will help to learn the river alot more and even find uncrowded areas with loads of fish.
Check out our new blog

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 03:09:59 PM »

will do . i like this post. very helpful. Last year I figured out to be a little more consistent with the coho. but thats center pin fishing. not fly. some are very deep runs and pools and others were white foamy water thats moving very fast. seems to difficult to fly fish. for me anyways as this weekend will  be my 4th time fly fishing but i have connected 2 out of the previous 3 times. looking to extend my streak!!Here is a pic from sunday. fist ever salmon on the fly! *%$#in awesome! ;D ;D

koko

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 03:43:45 PM »

Actually I find it differently than what Hook describes it as. The coho I have found usually are nowhere near where the chum and springs are. The springs like the deep stuff and the coho will usually stay away from the springs and hug the edges. Just from my observations.

Totally agreed, you have to ask yourself. Do I want mr. Ho or do I want to catch fish? You can catch Coho in different type of water, but hard to catch them on fly.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 03:46:44 PM by koko »

mikeH

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 08:00:40 PM »

Has anybody been out fishing for coho on the fly yet?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 09:51:39 PM »

Has anybody been out fishing for coho on the fly yet?

Yes but no luck.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

whereismyfloat

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 11:24:54 PM »

I am looking for a few coho patterns to tie for the river this year. I am a rookie "coho" fly fisherman. Most of my experience has been honed on stillwater lakes but I am really interested to give the river go this year.  I read an article about Kelly Davidson (sp?) doing a study a few years back and concluding that coho are more likely to target yellows/reds. I believe that is how his KCK fly pattern developed. I've read on the board about rolled muddlers etc... anything else to throw in the box?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 01:08:39 AM »

I dont have a picture of it but my best coho fly besides the rolled muddler is an Xmas tree variation. its just basically a flash fly very basic and easy to tie

Size 6 Tiemco (2488 or 2499SP-BL) or any size 6 glo bug style hook (egg pattern hook)
crystal flash - do in these three colour patterns. Blue/green, silver, silver/blue. there come together like these so its just three packs.
1/8th sized bead (metal bead not lead/tungsten)
I use red thread myself but you can use whatever i guess.

1 put bead on hook so that the Larger hole faces the hook eye
2 anchor hook in vise
3 push bead to the rear of hook, now anchor your thread on close to the hook eye
4 tie in your crystal flash so that it hangs forward OVER the hook eye. whip finish and cut off thread
5 push bead up OVER the flash material, re attach thread behind bead
6 pull flash material over the bead trying to keep it from rolling around the bead at all.
7 tie thread around the material to anchor it down behind the bead, DO NOT run the thread down the hook very much.
8 whip finish and cast off thread. cut the flash to a little longer then the entire hook.
9 add lots of brushable head cement over the flash on the bead so its strong.
10 DONE !!!

it seems like alot of steps but it really not, i just broke it down really well. this fly will also catch cutties, I know because i got a 22incher last year on one ;D ;D

Have fun out there
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:10:24 AM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

whereismyfloat

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 08:28:11 AM »

Hook,

Thanks for the detailed break-out. I'll definitely give those a whirl.

Mike

whereismyfloat

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 08:30:36 AM »

Oh yeah,

I stumbled into an interesting article last night from Steelheader Magazine. It was about Bill Turnbull's Vedder River coho flies. This may be of interest to those who tie. There are no recipes given but they provide pictures of some of his favorite's.

I am going to tie up a few of these too.

http://www.steelheadermag.com/article0216.html

Mike

Rybar

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 12:43:58 PM »

I'd try the lower Vedder on some slower moving runs or maybe the Dewdney Slough or Stave River toilet bowl for that Frog water.

kodiak

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 04:11:06 PM »

Olive wooley bugger in the Cap works everytime

abbott101

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 08:55:24 PM »

di wanna try inch creek this year for coho on my fly rod. Do u think that the coho will take trout beads or glow bugs under an indicator its basically tghe same thing as the drift fisherman right?? just wondering if anyones has tried this technique with some degree of sucees?