Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collapse of the Fraser River Salmon on CBC's "The Current"  (Read 3755 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Collapse of the Fraser River Salmon on CBC's "The Current"
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:03:46 PM »

Heard this today on the radio. I particularly agree with Alex Rose that we need to stop pointing fingers and accept that we are ALL apart of the problem.

Have a listen....

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/2009/200908/20090828.html
Actions speak louder than words.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
Re: Collapse of the Fraser River Salmon on CBC's "The Current"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 09:27:48 AM »

Just to say I'm not part of the problem.... I've never caught a salmon, ever!  (Or should I say yet.)

Davis

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 10:43:43 AM »

Collaspe of the Fraser yet the FNs get a opening for Sockeye.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 01:47:58 PM »

Is there a possibility they could be late? We had an opening 3 years ago in september when the bulk of the fish started coming through.
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »

Is there a possibility they could be late? We had an opening 3 years ago in september when the bulk of the fish started coming through.

Its not all gloom and doom as the chinook run in the Fraser system  nows doing well this year although some stocks from some rivers may not be doing as well as some like the Thompson.

Of course there was good reports of coho and chinook in the ocean to. Sockeye troubles must be the sea lice, warm ocean conditions and overfishing by all sectors. :-\

salmonlover

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 04:03:32 PM »

i really want some news station to do a big report on the sockeye salmon.
seems like most of the other salmon runs are doing alright...so i highly doubt global warming can be blamed for the lack of sockeyes.
i would have to say it has to be sea lice and over fishing. I think commercial fishing should be stopped period. I hear these guy cry about what are we gonna do for income...well if the salmon are all gone there won't be any fish for income. I think the pacific salmon is the best part of bc and would hate to see any one of them wiped out.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 11:51:41 PM »

Collaspe of the Fraser yet the FNs get a opening for Sockeye.

Brilliant additive to the conversation. Come up with a new thought or don't say anything.
always a student

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:18:09 AM »

Quote from: Davis on August 29, 2009, 10:43:43 AM
"Collapse of the Fraser yet the FN's get a opening for Sockeye."

Brilliant additive to the conversation. Come up with a new thought or don't say anything.

While Davis might have expanded a little more on his statement, not talking about the farce that is the FN fishery just perpetuates the farce.

While the FN fishery may not be the major contributor to the decline of the salmon stocks, I would suggest that this fishery makes a huge negative impact on the survival of the few salmon that have reached the mouth of the fraser. As the stocks continue to decline, they may end up being responsible for catching the last sockeye.

DFO I believe is being directed to be liberal with the openings to the FN fishery so as to minimize conflict while the governments try to work out their treaty agreements with the FN's. As the CBC article suggests, a complete closure to the salmon fishery may be the only way to save the stocks. Unfortunately hundreds of millions of dollars in sportsfishing dollars will be removed from the economy if that happens.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 10:53:26 AM »

Alwaysfishin I agree with you to a degree that not talking creates more of a problem but a half assed comment like that adds nothing and just starts us down the path that everyone of these threads go to. Shouldn't his comments be more about what was specifically in the link?? No wonder Rod shut this site down a while back and many of the other sites are the same, a bunch of bitching and infighting amongst everyone that gets nothing done. Don't you get a little tired of constantly fighting with the same people over and over and over and over. I guess I am just over it.

cheers
derek
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:55:05 AM by dereke »
always a student