Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What works best for Halibut??  (Read 7304 times)

robj

What works best for Halibut??
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:42:04 PM »

Hello,

I am going to Uculet to the Canadian Princess Resort next week.  My target species is Halibut.  A friend went last year, and they just used Sting Zilda's to catch Halibut.  When I fished Halibut many years ago, we used Octopus, with a hoochie and a big weight and a big treble.  I am thinking of taking my own gear, a stiff rod with a level wind and 40 lb firewire.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what would work best?  It sounds like the resort just uses Salmon gear to catch Halibut.  I rather take my own to catch the big one!!  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanx and have a great day

Rob.

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: What works best for Halibut??
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »

they use 10 oz jigs for halibut and 8 oz for salmon its white skinny to look like a needle fish. these lures are pretty good and i have got my limit the last 4yrs. the secret is to keep it on the bottom,so as the boat drifts let more line out after that bring it back to surface and let it down again. keep the lure jigging. salmon will grab it on the way down and winding up. i have seen guys use a spreader bar with berkley gulp squid that worked.
most of the halibut off ucluelet are under 20 lbs. some big ones are taken every year 80-100lbs but few.
i take my own reel, the rods they have are decent.
i will be there this weekend fishing sun/mon.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 05:20:03 PM »

I took a trip out on the princess a few weeks ago. Me and a buddy did exceptionally well for halibut that day. We ended up getting Halibut for ourselves and basically everyone else one the boat. The thing that helped us was we brought our own reels with braided line.

Trick is to find a spot out on either the bow or the stern that way you can cast your lure down wind of where the boat is going to drift. This will give you a much long vertical jig (never did catch much jigging horizontally or at an angle). Also important for halibut is to keep your jig bouncing off bottom. The halibut are attracted to the noise made and the braided line will ensure that you can feel the thumping.

We personally just used the 8oz salmon slayer lures used by the resort to get our fish but on the boat ride back to shore we asked our captain and he said that they had gibbs bottom walker available for us to use had we asked. 
Actions speak louder than words.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:29:09 PM »

how was the salmon. i have my reel spooled with braid this time, never had any problem with mono but braid should be better for setting the hook in over 200 ft water.

robj

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 06:32:56 PM »

Thanx for the replies.  Awesome info.  I plan on using 40 lb fire wire on my level wind, and taking my heaviest rod that I use for fishing Salmon in the rivers.  Does that sound OK?  Regarding lures, I guess I can use theirs, or go the bait method.  Any suggestions on that?  I will be there on Monday, fishing on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thanx again and have a great day

Rob.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:43:19 PM »

your rod should be fine, if not use one from the boat. i would take a heavy mudraker jig or something like that over 10 oz in case its windy,if the wind is up the drift is fast and its hard to stay on the bottom. bait is nice for dog fish except the gulp which is not real fish.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 07:08:58 PM »

how was the salmon. i have my reel spooled with braid this time, never had any problem with mono but braid should be better for setting the hook in over 200 ft water.

I ended up getting my limit of springs and a coho. I was into a whole lot of coho, including some large northerns, but it was tough finding hatchery fish. If I were to do it again I would also bring a casting rod and cast buzz bombs for the coho.
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 07:50:36 PM »

We just used the 8 oz. Reef Raiders provided

robj

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 08:11:42 PM »

Thanx guys for all the advice.  Will get the reel spooled up with fresh 40 lb fire line, is that strong enough?  I will take the salmon rod, and maybe just stick to jigs, since that is what many of you have had success with.  No need to take the stinky bait.

Rob.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »

The boats use 25lb mono  . so 40 is plenty

robj

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 06:01:30 AM »

Thanx again.  From what I have heard, people who don't catch much aren't at the bottom.  Fishin in 200 feet of water with 25 lb mono it would be hard to tell if you are at the bottom or not.  Fire line will work much better.   Will post my results when I get back next week.

Rob.

BooBooBear

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 08:21:08 AM »

Rob, I have fished with OBMG for many years and if you ask the skip or deck hand - they can set you up with a pair of the 8 Oz needle fish tied together with one treble hook - this gives you some weight to reach the bottom fast and try to keep it bouncing on the bottom as much as possible.  The large Halibut will swim right over it and vacuum it in.  Next thing you know you are pulling up a barn door... ;)

Good luck and tight lines... ;D

Gaffer

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 07:52:31 PM »

Hello,

I am going to Uculet to the Canadian Princess Resort next week.  My target species is Halibut.  A friend went last year, and they just used Sting Zilda's to catch Halibut.  When I fished Halibut many years ago, we used Octopus, with a hoochie and a big weight and a big treble.  I am thinking of taking my own gear, a stiff rod with a level wind and 40 lb firewire.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what would work best?  It sounds like the resort just uses Salmon gear to catch Halibut.  I rather take my own to catch the big one!!  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanx and have a great day

Rob.
Robj: Be advised that ALL Hali's over 70 lbs are Hens( Females) Catch and eat your limit of up 30lb'ers much more of them less work catching and especially Killing them ! Best bait-- fresh octopus , or squid chunks next whole herring on a Spinnow or Jumbo Gibbs Grub in Glow in the dark or Ultra -Violet white, pink ,or Yellow -- Braided line 80 lb & rollertip rod -two lb lead ball on a Halii dropper rig--SHARP Circle hooks in 8/0,9/0 or 10/0 -- and DON'T let his head come out of the water-- they get REALLY Cranky !Tight lines/Sharp Hooks

robj

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 06:12:10 AM »

Thanx for the tips Gaffer,

Unfortunately I do not have the real heavy gear.  Will just be using the 40 lb fire wire with mith my heaviest rod.  Good tip on keeping their head in the water.  Can do that and then someone will hopefully help me land then with a gaf hook.  Is it really worth taking bait?  Other were suggesting that the lures work fine.

Have a great day

Rob.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 04:18:40 PM »

dont waste your money on bait,dogs love it.