Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else seen drift netting above Rosedale this weekend? (incl correction)  (Read 8920 times)

Morty

Apparently some people are choosing to ignore both DFO's request, and Ernie Crey's opinions. 

x Even with so much press coverage around the world making the news VERY public that sockeye returns are low, some people are out drift netting this weekend. 

x Even with a prominent First Nations leader telling the press that " the species can't afford to take any more hits this season", some people are out drift netting this weekend

x Even when there we no scheduled: Economic, Ceremonial, nor Economic openings for the Fraser River from Jesperson's to Hope for the week ending August 16 2009, some people are out drift netting this weekend

x Even when there we no scheduled: Economic, Ceremonial, nor Economic openings for the Fraser River above Douglas Island for the week ending August 23 2009, some people are out drift netting this weekend.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:58:07 PM by Morty »
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Anyone else seen the drift netting above Rosedale this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:18:21 PM »

There were communal openings for chinook salmon in the areas mentioned yesterday and today.

Morty

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 09:57:01 PM »

Hoiw do you figure that Rodney?

Morty

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »

I know that site well, and carefully referenced it BEFORE I made my post.

Which of those areas do you consider to be upstream of the Rosedale-Agassiz bridge ??
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 10:11:23 PM by Morty »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 10:13:50 PM »

Yale First Nation's opening, Agassiz to Hope and Hope to Sawmill Creek, Saturday and Sunday.

Report it if you think it is illegal.

Morty

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 09:57:19 AM »

You're right Rodney - I missed that item when I read through the openings list.
Lesson learned.

Morty

Drift netting above Rosedale - my mistake
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 10:04:37 AM »

I erred in my posting yesterday regarding drift netting above Rosedale. 

There was, as Rodney pointed out, an authorized opening at the time of the observation, and I did not read the openings list carefully enough. 
I apologize if that posting lead anyone to believe that incident was a violation of government requirements.

Rick

ERNIE

Re: Drift netting above Rosedale - my mistake
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 10:50:36 AM »

At least someone can admit a mistake when they make one.............very refreshing to hear!    At least you are passionate about the right matters,  it IS hard to watch drift nets dredging the Fraser River knowing how the salmon stocks are in desperate need of relief.

I witnessed one myself yesterday and thanks to Rodney's post, was able to confirm that it was in fact legally sanctioned by the DFO.  I do find the DFO postings unclear at the best of times...........it is too bad it is not easier to read for simpletons like myself.

ernie

Iris

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 11:06:13 AM »

A legal opening you say, oh that's alright right then. Nothing to see here folks, move along, everythings fine. Thanks for the correction Rod. I too miss-read the notice.

tsawytscha

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 12:16:52 PM »

I erred in my posting yesterday regarding drift netting above Rosedale. 

There was, as Rodney pointed out, an authorized opening at the time of the observation, and I did not read the openings list carefully enough. 
I apologize if that posting lead anyone to believe that incident was a violation of government requirements.

Rick

Drift neeting (FN) on Saturady (Aug 15)  on both sides of Fraser (Seabird Island) , however due to BB's (bottom-bouncers) the FN boats couldn't drift
the pools close to the shore where majority of sockeye rest.  I guess that's why DFO closed that portion of Fraser for recerational fishing, so FN
can drift the whole river there without any "obstacles".  Well, a point, the guys (FN) have been drifting half-day and got probably 2-3 sockeye.

Then a group of three young men fishing from the shore (BB's) pulled out sockeye, killed the fish and kept it and soon they disapeared.
I guess one of them was a member of FN, remaining  guys definitely NOT.  I did not investigate lcoser - it would  three of them against me (alone)

I found a LOT of gear on the shore (miles of lines), numerous barb (NOT barbless) hooks, one dead fresh sockeye , two black garbage bag full of garbage, numerous
empty pop-pcans.  Do we deserve fishing ???

Frankey

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 01:15:15 PM »

How can DFO justify a native opening when the Sockeye run is in serious danger,it makes no sense to kick the sporties off a section of river then let the natives have an opening,DFO you are wrong!

Morty

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 02:13:08 PM »

If I am reading Rodney's link correctly, it was a couple of CHINOOK openings (6 am - 6 pm this recent Saturday and Sunday)

That being said, I personally believe that incidental net wounds to Sockeye are just as influential on mortality as hook-catch-and-release is claimed to be.  We have seen many comments on this site about taking care to handle fish carefully if they're going to be released.  There have also been comments in the past about how scale removal can lead to body infections.  It has also been claimed that warmer water tempuratures increase the likelyhood and severity of infection.

I believe that local First Nations do deserve their first and rightful share, but I do not see them practicing what I have heard them say regarding brotherhood and generosity.

Frankey

Is that what they call it a" Chinook opening " a driftnet takes no prisoners,they can call it whatever they want,that net kills everything in its path!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »

If I am reading Rodney's link correctly, it was a couple of CHINOOK openings (6 am - 6 pm this recent Saturday and Sunday)

That being said, I personally believe that incidental net wounds to Sockeye are just as influential on mortality as hook-catch-and-release is claimed to be.  We have seen many comments on this site about taking care to handle fish carefully if they're going to be released.  There have also been comments in the past about how scale removal can lead to body infections.  It has also been claimed that warmer water tempuratures increase the likelyhood and severity of infection.

I believe that local First Nations do deserve their first and rightful share, but I do not see them practicing what I have heard them say regarding brotherhood and generosity.

Unfortunately pointing this out will not be covered by the media because it is politically incorrect to be suggesting that FN may be causing more damage to the sockeye than the sports fisherman. However sport fishermen appear to be fair game, no matter their color or nationality.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[